PDA

View Full Version : How much would a block paving driveway cost?

Rich
27th May 2007, 17:18
Not wishing to be hounded by sales reps for the rest of the year, can anyone give me a ballpark figure for a block paving driveway?

Rough area would be 10 square meters if that helps :confused:

This kind of thing:

http://www.luntsheath.co.uk/pics/block_pav/b-s-eaton_50mm_brindle.jpg

briantilley
27th May 2007, 17:53
We had our drive done with block paving recently. It's about 65 sq metres, and cost us about £5,000 all in. One thing we found was the quotes varied a LOT - the most expensive was about 3 times the cheapest, and we didn't reckon the cheapest was the best value.

Make sure you get shown some actual work done by the company (and installation team) you choose, before committing yourself.

Rich
27th May 2007, 17:55
Sound advice there Brian, I was debating asking them (nearer the time) for a couple of addresses I could go and inspect :)

Simon W
27th May 2007, 18:02
Rich

I had one laid at my last house (I think it worked out at about £50 a square metre) but I wouldn't use block paving again - weeds, ants and anything else that grows or crawls will pop through after a while.

Then there's the problem of getting someone good enough to lay it properly. Mine looked ok for a few months then it sank in various places. Rubbish!

If I were doing it again I'd put a 6" concrete layer down first, then use tarmac or imprinted concrete over the top. Imprinted concrete looks terrific if it's the right colour/pattern and is done properly.

Also, I wouldn't use any so-called 'drive expert' unless you've seen their work at another house and spoken to the owner of the house.

These people are very helpful and will give you some unbiased advice if you ask them. (I contacted Tony by email):

http://www.pavingexpert.com/concrete.htm (http://www.pavingexpert.com/concrete.htm)

NB. See home page for other types of drive & links to everything.

Rich
27th May 2007, 18:05
Cheers Simon!

Would they come with some sort of warranty against sinking?

Problem there I guess would be getting them to honour it. Soooo many "rouge traders" around these days :(

Simon W
27th May 2007, 18:12
They might give you a guarantee but I doubt it'll be worth the paper it's written on.

The other thing I forgot to say - don't use anyone who asks for a deposit up front.

If I were you I would talk to Tony at the aformementioned website. He does know what he's talking about and likes to help people even though he knows they're not going to use his company to do the work.

Rich
27th May 2007, 18:18
The Imprinted concrete is amazing, I didn't even know such a thing existed!

Hmmm :)

Simon W
27th May 2007, 19:05
If it's done properly I think it's streets ahead of anything else but it has to be laid by an expert outfit.

You can have more or less any colour you like. The colour compound is mixed in with the concrete so it goes all the way through. The more subtle colours look fantastic. The imprint pattern makes a big difference too - you can mimic any sort of surface from cobbles to crazy paving.

See if you can find somewhere (a big garden centre perhaps) that has some demo surfaces laid. There used to be one called 'Worlds End' at Aylesbury/Wendover but they've changed hands now.

Some interesting pics here:

http://www.drivewaydesigns.co.uk/examples.htm

http://www.drivewaydesigns.co.uk/designs.htm

Simon W
27th May 2007, 19:12
Another interesting one here:

http://www.driveway.org.uk/gallery.htm

(see auto scrolling pic window)

Simon W
27th May 2007, 20:29
PS

Rich - do a lot of research and hunting about before you decide what to go for. Don't do what I did and make a snap decision - the block paving I ended up with was really poor. (So is the block paving at my new house - which was already laid when I bought the place).

MartinW
27th May 2007, 20:40
Simon,
how does the imprinted type withstand leaks such as engine oil (my BGT), brake fluid (ZT) and coolant (ZT/214) and petrol (BGT carbs!).

Also, does it scratch easily - say wheeling a trolley jack on it with the weight of the car, or the car on axle stands?

Will it pressure wash ok, or does teh p/washer damage the surface?

TIA

Simon W
27th May 2007, 21:26
Simon,
how does the imprinted type withstand leaks such as engine oil (my BGT), brake fluid (ZT) and coolant (ZT/214) and petrol (BGT carbs!).

Also, does it scratch easily - say wheeling a trolley jack on it with the weight of the car, or the car on axle stands?

Will it pressure wash ok, or does teh p/washer damage the surface?

TIA

I should think it will withstand oil leaks better than anything else because they normally add a surface sealant - so it's very smooth to the touch and less absorbent.

Because of the smoothness I'd be a bit carfeul scratch-wise but if you rest your axle stands on wooden boards I can't imagine they would do any harm.

Pressure washing shouldn't cause any problems either - it's tough stuff and is concrete after all. I don't think it will need pressure washing in the first place though. I suspect you'd only need to hose it down every now and then with an ordinary hosepipe & nozzle.

MartinW
27th May 2007, 21:29
Thanks for that, Simon.

Might have to be a bit careful though, don't want Mr Postie or Mr Milkie slipping on spills!

Simon W
27th May 2007, 21:31
It's not that slippery - unless they're wearing ice skates!

MartinW
27th May 2007, 21:36
unless they happen to step in the above-mentioned discharges from my assorted fleet of vehicles!

I could follow HSE guidelines and have walk-ways and clearly marked parking bays with all the necessary warning signs!

Seriously, I agree, I have always thought these drives look great.

Simon W
27th May 2007, 21:41
I agree, I have always thought these drives look great.

If you pick the right colour & pattern to match your house, there's nothing to beat them.

lildevil
27th May 2007, 22:12
Hi

A while ago I created a very simple website for a friend of mine who runs a driveway company. Kent & Sussex Drives. Website www.kentandsussexdrives.com

It will soon be having a redesign when I get round to it. But I hope there is enough info on there to get you started. My friend is currently on holiday but once he gets back I shall let you know....if you are still interested.

www.kentandsussexdrives.com

More pictures will be added during the re-design of the website.

Regards
Tom

Lates
27th May 2007, 22:44
Our block paving has been down 5 years ish, not 100% sure on size,not massive but both cars park on the front no problem and tbh apart from the moss and bits growing through it has not sank as of yet whereas a neighbours done by another outfit has 4 dips where his wheels are.
One thing I would not do again is have the block paving cleaners round, scrubbing and relaquering lasted about 6 months.
Crete print I agree looks miles better but is also more expensive.

ColinB
28th May 2007, 18:40
I block paved part of my drive (used to be a sunken weed patch) about 5 years ago and it has only sunk about 1/2 inch in one small area where I straighten the wheel when parked. My neighbour in contrast had a bunch of "landscapers" from somewhere in Eastern Europe block pave her drive last year. They did it very fast but buried the old hedge under it with loads of other stuff. Consequently it now resembles a series of rolling hills!
So, if a block paved drive is done well, it is great. Done by cowboys however, not so great!