The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   How many more will go after Monday ?? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=265954)

Saga Lout 21st April 2017 18:33

Not a good deal.

You take the money, you buy a new car on finance, it loses the two grand as you turn the key for the first time, then you pay £400 per month for the privilege of having a new plated car for six months. That said, I'm in favour of all polluting Diesels and Petrol cars being scrapped. I want it to also apply to filthy old buses and trucks, I then want to see newer aircraft in the skies, a lot of the aircraft up there are over thirty years old and, a major reason why our Summers are getting worse.

Ravinder 21st April 2017 18:58

None of my cars will be going anywhere.

marinabrian 21st April 2017 19:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooney (Post 2480261)
Until that strange hissing sound from escaping steam and boiling coolant breaks the calm ;)

Nope, I did the head gasket on this car as a preventative measure, and I know what I'm doing :p:

Avulon 21st April 2017 19:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nige B (Post 2480250)
Maybe not yourself but others may well be tempted.

A fool and his money...

Quote:

Originally Posted by roverbarmy (Post 2480331)
My dad weighed in his old, battered Cavalier under the last scrappage deal. I shopped around and found that he could still have saved money by just not trading in at all on a new car (20% discount at the time offered). It may still be the case now??? :shrug:
Some examples HERE.
Mike

QED. (not meant as a dig at your dad - just to say it's easy to hoodwinked by things that seem good on the surface).

And on that subject why would I swap my mid-sized comfy saloon for a tinny underpowered uncomfortable compact? Where would * put all my gear when I go on holiday etc...? On the roof? or pull a trailer? both of which would severely effect the economy of whatever it is? To buy a new car that could compete I'd be looking at £36 - £49 thousand pounds! £2k trade in on the old motor isn't going to convince me - even if you add another £500 a year to the running costs of the current vehicle. Besides, since when did motor vehicle enthusiasts rate their vehicle purely on ownership costs? Most restorations of old vehicles end up costing more than the vehicle is worth when finished as it is.:getmecoat:

Save
Save
Save

Westonboy 21st April 2017 19:58

Just come back from the pub, sat in Gilbert in my Cowley cdt, listened to some sixties music, and caressed the walnut steering wheel and thought I love this car, and if I end up just keeping it in my garage and stopping its unnecessary scrappage that will do for me, I the hope that common sense will prevail in times to come, but Gilbert the mighty Rover is staying with me.

Avulon 21st April 2017 20:16

Of course, the other side is that, as already suggested, a scrappage scheme may artificially raise the value of the diesel cars and as I'm now averaging less than 20 miles a week and we still have the 1.8T tourer.....

:D :D

Captain Crappycrimp 21st April 2017 20:20

Yes Brian I agree you know what your doing but the 1.8 curse can strike anywhere, anytime and anyone.

BTW Im selling my 190 and buying a gross polluter before there all gone!

SCP440 21st April 2017 21:11

What ever the government do it is a mere drop in the ocean, even if we all drove the most environmentally friendly vehicles available it will have little or no effect on the environment.

The aircraft you get on to go on holiday puts more CO2 into the atmosphere in that one trip than your car will do in its entire life. Then you have economies like India, China and the like that have little or care of what they are putting into the environment.

Then you have the US, well if we all lived like the average US citizen we would need 22 planets.

Sorry to sound negative on the latest environmental saving campaign but it is to little to have any effect.

steve-45 21st April 2017 21:23

I'm sure I read somewhere that if you took ALL the older diesel cars off the road you would only reduce NOX levels by 20 % ... :eek:

Nige B 21st April 2017 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve-45 (Post 2480420)
I'm sure I read somewhere that if you took ALL the older diesel cars off the road you would only reduce NOX levels by 20 % ... :eek:

something similar was quoted on some programme or other ..20% of pollution down to diesel cars etc etc ...ten someone replied keep the diesels and scrap everything else ...:}