The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   How many more will go after Monday ?? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=265954)

Nige B 21st April 2017 15:03

How many more will go after Monday ??

Sad to think , BUT ...how many more will get scrapped after Monday ?when the scrappage plans for diesel cars are announced ..

marinabrian 21st April 2017 15:07

Fantastic, they're offering a scrappage plan for diesels, hopefully that will temporarily inflate the second hand prices then :duh::getmecoat:

Says the man diving around in a whisper quiet 1800 :drool4:

Brian :D

marinabrian 21st April 2017 15:11

Even better only applies to cars built or registered before 2005.......so who want's a 2004 diesel ZT only £1500........just think you what you could spend that extra £500 on :drool4::getmecoat:

coolguy 21st April 2017 15:23

Scrappage will only apply if you buy a new vehicle. How many either want or can spend an additional £8k to get a basic eurobox. I certainly don't!

Nige B 21st April 2017 15:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolguy (Post 2480240)
Scrappage will only apply if you buy a new vehicle. How many either want or can spend an additional £8k to get a basic eurobox. I certainly don't!

Maybe not yourself but others may well be tempted.

steve-45 21st April 2017 15:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nige B (Post 2480250)

A load more on finance deals - then the politicians will complain about the level of debt.

windrush 21st April 2017 16:05

well I am one who will not be getting rid of my diesel

trikey 21st April 2017 16:07

Shall I weigh yours in before or after the clutch change Nige?

Rooney 21st April 2017 16:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2480232)
Says the man diving around in a whisper quiet 1800 :drool4:

Until that strange hissing sound from escaping steam and boiling coolant breaks the calm ;)

steve-45 21st April 2017 16:20

Just done an online valuation on my 2004 conni se, and because its low mileage its come out higher than the scrappage value. :shrug:

Nige B 21st April 2017 16:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2480258)
Shall I weigh yours in before or after the clutch change Nige?

depends on when it'll be done mate :D..the grey one might go though..after 2 breakdowns in a fortnight , im under pressure to get a "newer . more reliable car ".And after running about in a 65 plate vauxhall ...might have to buy a new one and keep the black one as a pleasure car ..

Nige B 21st April 2017 16:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve-45 (Post 2480269)
Just done an online valuation on my 2004 conni se, and because its low mileage its come out higher than the scrappage value. :shrug:

MY ZT comes out about £150 ...

kbonney88 21st April 2017 16:31

I think we will be keeping our 4 Rover diesels.. ;)

RPWC 21st April 2017 16:34

I'm certainly not getting rid of mine. They can stick their scrappage scheme up their jackass bottoms!!

lady zed 21st April 2017 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbonney88 (Post 2480274)
I think we will be keeping our 4 Rover diesels.. ;)

And our Renault :D

clf 21st April 2017 17:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooney (Post 2480261)
Until that strange hissing sound from escaping steam and boiling coolant breaks the calm ;)

that made me laugh lol

the last scrappage deal they had, (at least in NI - not sure if it was nationwide) had the stipulation, that you had owned the car for 2 or more years. My friend's father was caught out with this. So check the fine print before buying a scrapper to trade.

macafee2 21st April 2017 17:03

oh good I may be able to get a low mileage top notch Tourer for a song :)

macafee2

thundercat 21st April 2017 17:23

Nope not mine, what could I replace it with.

thundercat 21st April 2017 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2480235)
Even better only applies to cars built or registered before 2005.......so who want's a 2004 diesel ZT only £1500........just think you what you could spend that extra £500 on :drool4::getmecoat:

A new battery for my Electric Bike

roverbarmy 21st April 2017 18:24

My dad weighed in his old, battered Cavalier under the last scrappage deal. I shopped around and found that he could still have saved money by just not trading in at all on a new car (20% discount at the time offered). It may still be the case now??? :shrug:
Some examples HERE.
Mike

Saga Lout 21st April 2017 18:33

Not a good deal.

You take the money, you buy a new car on finance, it loses the two grand as you turn the key for the first time, then you pay £400 per month for the privilege of having a new plated car for six months. That said, I'm in favour of all polluting Diesels and Petrol cars being scrapped. I want it to also apply to filthy old buses and trucks, I then want to see newer aircraft in the skies, a lot of the aircraft up there are over thirty years old and, a major reason why our Summers are getting worse.

Ravinder 21st April 2017 18:58

None of my cars will be going anywhere.

marinabrian 21st April 2017 19:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooney (Post 2480261)

Nope, I did the head gasket on this car as a preventative measure, and I know what I'm doing :p:

Avulon 21st April 2017 19:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nige B (Post 2480250)

A fool and his money...

Quote:

Originally Posted by roverbarmy (Post 2480331)
My dad weighed in his old, battered Cavalier under the last scrappage deal. I shopped around and found that he could still have saved money by just not trading in at all on a new car (20% discount at the time offered). It may still be the case now??? :shrug:
Some examples HERE.
Mike

QED. (not meant as a dig at your dad - just to say it's easy to hoodwinked by things that seem good on the surface).

And on that subject why would I swap my mid-sized comfy saloon for a tinny underpowered uncomfortable compact? Where would * put all my gear when I go on holiday etc...? On the roof? or pull a trailer? both of which would severely effect the economy of whatever it is? To buy a new car that could compete I'd be looking at £36 - £49 thousand pounds! £2k trade in on the old motor isn't going to convince me - even if you add another £500 a year to the running costs of the current vehicle. Besides, since when did motor vehicle enthusiasts rate their vehicle purely on ownership costs? Most restorations of old vehicles end up costing more than the vehicle is worth when finished as it is.:getmecoat:

Save
Save
Save

Westonboy 21st April 2017 19:58

Just come back from the pub, sat in Gilbert in my Cowley cdt, listened to some sixties music, and caressed the walnut steering wheel and thought I love this car, and if I end up just keeping it in my garage and stopping its unnecessary scrappage that will do for me, I the hope that common sense will prevail in times to come, but Gilbert the mighty Rover is staying with me.

Avulon 21st April 2017 20:16

Of course, the other side is that, as already suggested, a scrappage scheme may artificially raise the value of the diesel cars and as I'm now averaging less than 20 miles a week and we still have the 1.8T tourer.....

:D :D

Captain Crappycrimp 21st April 2017 20:20

Yes Brian I agree you know what your doing but the 1.8 curse can strike anywhere, anytime and anyone.

BTW Im selling my 190 and buying a gross polluter before there all gone!

SCP440 21st April 2017 21:11

What ever the government do it is a mere drop in the ocean, even if we all drove the most environmentally friendly vehicles available it will have little or no effect on the environment.

The aircraft you get on to go on holiday puts more CO2 into the atmosphere in that one trip than your car will do in its entire life. Then you have economies like India, China and the like that have little or care of what they are putting into the environment.

Then you have the US, well if we all lived like the average US citizen we would need 22 planets.

Sorry to sound negative on the latest environmental saving campaign but it is to little to have any effect.

steve-45 21st April 2017 21:23

I'm sure I read somewhere that if you took ALL the older diesel cars off the road you would only reduce NOX levels by 20 % ... :eek:

Nige B 21st April 2017 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve-45 (Post 2480420)
I'm sure I read somewhere that if you took ALL the older diesel cars off the road you would only reduce NOX levels by 20 % ... :eek:

something similar was quoted on some programme or other ..20% of pollution down to diesel cars etc etc ...ten someone replied keep the diesels and scrap everything else ...:}

maxxpump 21st April 2017 21:37

Scrapping my diesel...a worry for me.

I live in Brighton and unfortunately its one of the worst places in the country for NOX levels and I can't afford a new car even if they were going to give me £2000 towards a new one :shrug:

Its a bit of a bad situation for people like that can only afford cars which are second hand...not to mention the cost that I've paid to keep my car on the road each year, wish there was a deal with buying a second hand motor.:mad:

Ravinder 21st April 2017 21:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCP440 (Post 2480414)
What ever the government do it is a mere drop in the ocean, even if we all drove the most environmentally friendly vehicles available it will have little or no effect on the environment.

The aircraft you get on to go on holiday puts more CO2 into the atmosphere in that one trip than your car will do in its entire life. Then you have economies like India, China and the like that have little or care of what they are putting into the environment.

Then you have the US, well if we all lived like the average US citizen we would need 22 planets.

Sorry to sound negative on the latest environmental saving campaign but it is to little to have any effect.

It's because we are an easy target. Simples. This will make the government look good and show the world they are doing something about it. But I agree, it will make very little difference. Most of the pollution comes from industrial production but they won't get shut down as they make mega bucks. We're just the small fish.

murphyv310 21st April 2017 21:43

I'd have been more than happy to get £2000 for MFL.... sadly it was a clean V6 Petrol and I got £250 instead. If I got the £2000 from the govt, I could have bought a new Panda!!!!!

Avulon 21st April 2017 23:17

Horses mouth

Of course if you really want to know what the government might be considering rather than read the biased/slanted/apocryphal 'news' outlets (i.e. the tabloid press and their associated web-sites) then go read what was actually said in the recent debate upon which the current story about diesel scrappage appears to be based (although completely unreferenced by any of the 'news' articles I've seen so far). it's in the Hansard here
for anyone prepared to read through it. I've not waded all the way through yet but it's eye-opening that in-spite of the CO and NOx emissions actually having reduced by 20% in the last couple of decades (although the decline has leveled since 2010) that we are talking as if this is a worsening problem. the fact is it's not. What it is is lower and lower pollution limits being pushed (not necessarily a bad thing) driven by both the EU and WHO (World Health Organisation).

Some participants in the debate raised concerns the main ones being that incentives to buy a new car may not be the most effective solution especially as the incentive would only be a small assistance in the purchase and the people driving the older cars aren't necessarily the richest or most able to buy new cars in the first place. Another concern is that alternative fuels either require a huge amount of infrastructure (battery charging at roadside etc.) or aren't themselves particularly free from pollution themselves (e.g. Biomass fuels).

Add onto all that the recent call for a general election and the current winding down of parliamentary affairs and I can see this getting shelved until a new government is elected anyway....

minimutly 21st April 2017 23:25

Take all the BS with a pinch of salt and get what suits you out of it. A kia puppy or whatever their eating this month might be your flavour of the month, but best of luck to you.
Myself I'll keep my zt 190, if it was an oilburner I'd keep that too...

bl52krz 21st April 2017 23:38

Mine is an oil burner, and I will be keeping mine. There is no scrappage scheme at the moment and I doubt there will be soon.

topman 22nd April 2017 02:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saga Lout (Post 2480337)
I then want to see newer aircraft in the skies, a lot of the aircraft up there are over thirty years old and, a major reason why our Summers are getting worse.

I wouldn't think so, not in Europe anyway. Older aircraft are simply too expensive for companies to run, most are long gone by that age. Newer aircraft are simply cheaper to run so are used as it makes economic sense to do so.

Leyland Worldmaster 22nd April 2017 02:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2480366)
Nope, I did the head gasket on this car as it is a service item, and I know what I'm doing :p:

Well I'm keeping Alison. Fook what the ecomentalists say. Incidentally, I got questioned by an ecomentalist about Sara, my old '75. They asked why I was driving around in an old gas guzzler.

Now I knew said ecomentalist was a regular flyer so I asked when he last flew.

That finished the conversation.

Way I see it Alison is the most efficient solution for my high mileage. She uses very little fuel. So that's better than scrapping her and buying a new car.

:D :D :D

Avulon 22nd April 2017 13:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leyland Worldmaster (Post 2480490)
Well I'm keeping Alison. Fook what the ecomentalists say. Incidentally, I got questioned by an ecomentalist about Sara, my old '75. They asked why I was driving around in an old gas guzzler.

Now I knew said ecomentalist was a regular flyer so I asked when he last flew.

That finished the conversation.

Way I see it Alison is the most efficient solution for my high mileage. She uses very little fuel. So that's better than scrapping her and buying a new car.

:D :D :D

What I have trouble with is: do these people really believe that a modern car of 2.0-2.5 litres and the size and comfort of the 75 actually does significantly better real world mpg than the 75 already does? OK, DPF etc may 'clean up' the particulate output but afaik does nothing for the other pollutants. I've heard in the past claims that 'my car does 70mpg' ... 'cruising at 60mph on the motorway in light traffice' ... 'struggles on motorway hills when loaded' - is an Hyundai i10/compact tin-box and cost £14k .... OK, perhaps we should settle for smaller lighter vehicles with smaller engines - I've got a bicycle which I use regularly for the commute to work now - it's only two miles away.

If they really cared they would just shorten their commute by moving closer to work or find jobs closer to home. Doing 60 to the gallon in a (new) 'clean' car and 20k miles a year is stupid if you could be doing only 2k miles a year in something else... just having a brain-whatever here...

Right, I'm off out to walk to the shops ...:getmecoat:

Save

wullie480 22nd April 2017 13:41

Many folks will be tempted with a scrappage scheme same as the last one.
Results online https://www.gov.uk/government/public...scheme-in-2009

I won't be chopping ours in as I don't want a new car but I am however looking for another car but with all the suggestions of increase in tax etc for diesel I'm unsure on what to get as a main family car petrol or diesel :shrug:

another_clean_sheet 22nd April 2017 13:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nige B (Post 2480230)
Sad to think , BUT ...how many more will get scrapped after Monday ?when the scrappage plans for diesel cars are announced ..

There will NOT be an announcement on Monday. Because of the forth coming June election the Government is in purdah and cannot announce any new changes to legislation

Mr Bone 22nd April 2017 14:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nige B (Post 2480230)

Not mine.:D

Apart from giving free cars away, there isn't a single incentive the government could come up with to get me in a eurobox. I've had more than a few hire cars over the past few years through work and apart from a Passat estate there isn't a single one that I could contemplate owning.
The most notable disappointment was a Vauxhall Mokka 1.4, £20 odd grands worth of misery.

In fact, if they were handing them out free I'd turn it down and keep my Connie cdt.

Avulon 22nd April 2017 16:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by another_clean_sheet (Post 2480699)
There will NOT be an announcement on Monday. Because of the forth coming June election the Government is in purdah and cannot announce any new changes to legislation

And that was what I was thinking about this storm in a teacup.

... Back from my walk in which I must've exhaled several extra tons more of CO2 than I would've sat comfortably in my car - Now starving hungry after my exertions so will have to eat twice as much as usual and create even more methane than normal (yes, it is possible). Don't worry about particulates the filter is in place :eek: but it's likely to be Nox..ious

Rooney 22nd April 2017 16:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by another_clean_sheet (Post 2480699)

Stop letting the facts get in the way of a good bit of internet hysteria :D

I'm sure it's a coinkydink that the OP of this all diesels are doomed thread has a petrol version for sale at the moment :p:

AWD/Alba 22nd April 2017 17:28

Biggest pollution producers? Massive multi engined surface ships.

Avulon 22nd April 2017 23:12

There are currently around 30million cars on UK roads - around a third of which according to the AA are over 10 years old - so thats 10million 'unclean' cars by the broad stroke political measurements system. The last scrappage scheme accounted for just under 400,000 vehicles. Or to put it in easy terms. A scrappage scheme on a similar scale to the last will account for no more than 5% of 'unclean' vehicles on the road. Given that a 'clean' vehicle will only pollute half as much as an older vehicle thats an optimistic 2.5% reduction in pollution.

--Correction that's a 2.5% decrease in pollution from 10million older vehicles (by making that figure 9.5 million) Divide that figure by 3 (remember I said that the vehicles involved represent a third of vehicles on UK roads?) and you get a whopping 0.833% reduction in pollution. --

Bear in mind that is just the pollution caused locally by running the vehicle and fails miserably to account for pollution caused during or by the manufacture of the vehicles.... (or for instance the power generation required to charge electric vehicles).

stevenicks 23rd April 2017 07:03

Nothing wrong with diesel's, mine has only done 60K, it has least another 140K left in her ;).

7T5 24th April 2017 09:51

Mine is not going anywhere, its a cracking car. Pulls my caravan no bother at all. Love it.

Nige B 24th April 2017 10:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooney (Post 2480757)
Stop letting the facts get in the way of a good bit of internet hysteria :D

I'm sure it's a coinkydink that the OP of this all diesels are doomed thread has a petrol version for sale at the moment :p:

hE has , and owns 2 diesels also ..one of which i am spending a tidy sum getting fixed..so thats not going anywhere anytime soon ..It was a post of I WONDER , not necessarily I AM . cheers