The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Boat relocating (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=325564)

coolcat 14th September 2023 07:01

Boat relocating

Hi all,

The last two years have been difficult for us using our boat.
I'm sure you guys know we have our boat moored in Acle on the Norfolk Broads.
I used to have a weekly contract/client for photography up there which meant visiting the boat/staying on board every week.
After Covid and the lockdown the contract wasn't renewed in 2022 so the only reason to go up was for boating. This has become awkward as Ros works on a Saturday and we have an elderly cat that is on medication and can't be left for any length of time.

We have taken the decision with our change in circumstances to relocate our boat nearer to home where we will get more use out of her.
The drive from home to Acle is approx 2 hours there and the same back, just popping up for a quick visit isn't really an option, especially as the days grow shorter.

We have decided to bring Lady Emma to Titchmarsh Marina, Walton on the Naze, Essex which is only 15 minutes drive from home.

We have given our notice to quit at our current moorings and we are aiming for a mid October departure.

In the meanwhile we have booked Lady Emma in for both engines to be fully serviced, updated our chart plotter maps, had lifejackets regassed/serviced, checked flares are in date and properly stored, removed stuff not needed for the sea passage and lastly employed an RYA instructor to come along for an assisted passage on the sea going leg of the journey.

We will have about a two hour river cruise from Acle to Great Yarmouth and will be picking up our 'skipper' from Gt Yarmouth yacht station for the sea run to Walton on the Naze.
All this has to be timed right so we have enough air draft/ clearance to pass under three bridges at Great Yarmouth. So ideally we will be leaving Acle at first light to arrive in Yarmouth at Low Water in the morning. Then we will be leaving Yarmouth with the water flooding back out and in our favour and arrive at Walton nearer to high tide which is what we need to get in to the shallow waters approaching Titchmarsh Marina.

We will be looking to cruise at 15knots to give a comfortable passage and reasonable fuel economy. Great Yarmouth to Walton on the Naze will take about 4-5 hours.

I'm not familiar with these waters and a novice at Sea which is why we are emptying an experienced helm for the passage. There are many sandbanks, lobster pots/fishing grounds and the shipping lanes of the Ports of Felixstowe and Harwich to navigate.

Hopefully this will be a bit of an adventure and also give me some good experience on these waters as an added bonus.

Once we have relocated there will be a whole new area open for us to explore.
We will be on the North Sea at the marina but there are many inland waterways reachable from our location as well.

Ro won't be crewing with us on this journey, my Dad will hopefully be coming along and we have enlisted one other crew member......None other than Zed The Ted:}

I'll be up at the boat next week getting stuff ready and putting about 200 litres of fuel on board. If the tides are favourable and I can get under those bridges at Yarmouth. I shall take Lady Emma over Breydon water where there are no speed restrictions and I can check everything is working as it should at higher speeds.
A sort of shakedown run before the big day.

I will keep this thread updated and hopefully lots of photos and videos will be added for anyone interested :}

planenut 14th September 2023 07:49

Interesting post, I wish you all well.

Teflon 14th September 2023 08:03

Sounds like a real adventure! Looking forward to seeing the photos and videos :}. Best of luck,

Cliff

Gate Keeper 14th September 2023 10:07

Good morning Jeff

Thank you for the update and plan.

Jessica has checked out your final destination on google maps and we see how close you will be to your home. That’s lovely for Ros, the cats and work.

What will be your challenges in making the transition over from Acle?

Saying goodbye to your friends…..

On the voyage to Walton you will have shipping, tidal times, distance, navigation and weather to contend with?

You have a powerful cruiser with those twin engines and big tanks, how exciting.

Do keep us posted with photos and videos.

coolcat 16th September 2023 06:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by planenut (Post 2978583)
Interesting post, I wish you all well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teflon (Post 2978584)
Sounds like a real adventure! Looking forward to seeing the photos and videos :}. Best of luck,

Cliff

Cheers Fred and Cliff,

I'll be keeping this thread updated before, during and after the relocation:}

coolcat 16th September 2023 06:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gate Keeper (Post 2978596)
Good morning Jeff

Thank you for the update and plan.

Jessica has checked out your final destination on google maps and we see how close you will be to your home. That’s lovely for Ros, the cats and work.

What will be your challenges in making the transition over from Acle?

Saying goodbye to your friends…..

On the voyage to Walton you will have shipping, tidal times, distance, navigation and weather to contend with?

You have a powerful cruiser with those twin engines and big tanks, how exciting.

Do keep us posted with photos and videos.

Cheers Phil & Jessica.

We will indeed be negotiating, tides, bridges (At Yarmouth) sand banks, Lobster pots, shipping lanes etc. Lady Emma has an auto helm (autopilot) linked to her chart plotter but we will still be keeping our eyes on the err 'road ahead' so to speak.

This is a snapshot of our route. Ignore the times as that was the suggestion on the day the info was submitted...

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...29560896_h.jpgGt Yarmouth to Titchmarsh Marina by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr

This is the website of Titchmarsh Marina...

https://www.titchmarshmarina.co.uk

edwardmk 16th September 2023 17:31

I'd wish for the wind to always be at your back, but with those two engines, not so relevant:D Hope you have a most enjoyable and safe passage to the new location. Sounds like a good plan:}

boater 16th September 2023 17:55

Best wishes, Jeff for good weather and an uneventful passage to your new marina. I will look forward to seeing some pictures of the trip and new location.

Howard

Georgies Dad 17th September 2023 07:37

Do this mean I can now get rid of my wet weather gear:getmecoat::getmecoat:

I hope the good people at Walton have been informed of the pending weather changes?:eek::eek:

trikey 17th September 2023 17:19

The acle bridge Inn will miss you!

Safe trip down Jeff...

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

coolcat 18th September 2023 14:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by edwardmk (Post 2978788)
I'd wish for the wind to always be at your back, but with those two engines, not so relevant:D Hope you have a most enjoyable and safe passage to the new location. Sounds like a good plan:}

Quote:

Originally Posted by boater (Post 2978790)
Best wishes, Jeff for good weather and an uneventful passage to your new marina. I will look forward to seeing some pictures of the trip and new location.

Howard

Quote:

Originally Posted by Georgies Dad (Post 2978828)
Do this mean I can now get rid of my wet weather gear:getmecoat::getmecoat:

I hope the good people at Walton have been informed of the pending weather changes?:eek::eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2978875)
The acle bridge Inn will miss you!

Safe trip down Jeff...

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Cheers everyone.

Don't worry Steve, I'm sure to pop up rom time to time, I'll bring the weather with me:D

roverbarmy 26th September 2023 13:07

I may be able to give you a wave from one of the Great Yarmouth bridges as you pass! Have a safe journey. You never know, you may get a taste for the salty waters and try a trip to the continent! Don't forget your GB sticker!
:bowdown:

https://www.broadsnet.co.uk/riverbure4/

coolcat 26th September 2023 13:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by roverbarmy (Post 2979588)
I may be able to give you a wave from one of the Great Yarmouth bridges as you pass! Have a safe journey. You never know, you may get a taste for the salty waters and try a trip to the continent! Don't forget your GB sticker!
:bowdown:

https://www.broadsnet.co.uk/riverbure4/

Hi Mike,

Plans are fluid and have changed a little since my last update.
The tides will be on neaps on our original planned departure date. We may struggle to get underneath Vauxhall and Acle road bridges so our new plan is to wait till the following week when on spring tides. Unfortunately low water is late afternoon that week so our new plan is to go under the Gt Yarmouth bridges on the spring low water slack. Open the taps up and motor across Breydon. Follow the Yare down to the New Cut, thus avoiding St Olaves road bridge. Follow the New Cut onto the Waveney River into Lowestoft and overnight at Lowestoft Yacht Marina. This will allow us to also get fuel at the much reduced prices sold at the fuel berth, before departing Lowestoft onto the North Sea.

I'm hoping the weather will play ball as I really don't fancy leaving much later than October as the weather & Sea conditions will likely be less likely to be good. That and also our three month notice to vacate Acle Marina will be looming large and Lady Emma will become 'homeless':eek:

As for Salty stuff. Well we bought Lady Emma for that purpose to open up our cruising options. Besides that, we will have no choice as Titchmarsh is a salt water Marina by the North Sea;)

So....If you want to wave us off properly as we leave the Broads, you might have to come down to Lowestoft to 'See us off' :}

coolcat 2nd October 2023 18:21

Crew update...

Zed the Ted has been in training ready for relocation day:}

planenut 3rd October 2023 06:06

This all sounds epic Jeff, best wishes for your venture.
Fred (planenut)

coolcat 4th October 2023 00:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by planenut (Post 2980021)
This all sounds epic Jeff, best wishes for your venture.
Fred (planenut)

Thanks Fred .

coolcat 4th October 2023 18:53

Zed the Ted was supervising the engines being serviced today :}

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...5621b7ed_h.jpgLady Emma engines service day by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr

coolcat 27th October 2023 17:26

Tomorrow is part one of our boat move.

Weather has meant some changes to our original passage plans have been put in place.
Tomorrow should see us depart Acle Marina around 12.00hrs to arrive at around 14.00hrs at Great Yarmouth Yacht Station.

From there we will be lowering our Navigation mast and VHF antennas and welcoming our 'skipper' on board.
Then (tide height dependent) we shall be making a safe passage under Acle Road Bridge, Vauxhall foot bridge and Haven lift bridge and out into the North Sea from Great Yarmouth.

A short (9 nautical miles) sea passage should see us arrive at Lowestoft harbour and into the Royal Norfolk and Suffolk Yacht Club Marina.
The sea passage from Gt Yarmouth to Lowestoft should take around 45 minutes or so.

We were planning on departure the following morning but the weather forecast wasn't very good with wind speeds predicted at 50-60mph.
We made a decision to delay our departure and will now be leaving Monday or Tuesday.
Of course, since making that decision I have booked a job in for the Sunday and now the wind forecast has been downgraded to moderate from Gale force:duh:
Never mind. Don't want to mess my client around so part 2 will be Monday or Tuesday seeing us depart Lowestoft for a 40 odd nautical mile run down the North Sea to Titchmarsh Marina in Walton On The Naze.

That leg should take approximately four hours at a steady 12-15 Knot cruise.
We will be aiming to arrive on a rising tide so around 12.00 to 13.00hrs should be about right.
Then it's moor the boat up, jump in the car and drive our skipper back to Lowestoft.

I will be taking photos/vidoes and some live blogging on Facebook as well.

Might need a day or two to recover before updating this thread :}

Rogue 27th October 2023 21:44

Safe trip and fair seas Jeff

coolcat 28th October 2023 06:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogue (Post 2981707)
Safe trip and fair seas Jeff

Thanks Pete.

I'm going to miss Norfolk but hope to spend more time on the boat when she's nearer to home.

coolguy 28th October 2023 12:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolcat (Post 2981715)
Thanks Pete.

I'm going to miss Norfolk but hope to spend more time on the boat when she's nearer to home.

Don't know Titchmarsh Marina, but in the 1960's we used to holiday on an 85 foot MTB (innards removed - non-sea going!) which was moored at the Walton-on Naze Yacht Club. Owned by a friend of my Grandfather, it had a motor boat, rowing boat, private beach hut on the seafront, and a garage built up on a slope which avoided having to drain the cars each time the tide came over the road (several times a month I believe) all available in the package! The Club steward used to open the doors of many cars to let the water out when the owners were on longer sailing trips.

Loved Walton, but guess it has changed much. I was only a teenager. Have never been back, but have followed your mooring plans with interest, and might even visit one day to re-acquaint myself with my sister. Parents and Grandparents long since departed. Happy days.

Safe trip.

Gate Keeper 28th October 2023 21:46

Good evening Jeff, what a busy and full day you had. Thank you for inviting us to the live action on your sea passage of choppy waters, you made it in time just before darkness, relax.

Have a peaceful night.

coolcat 29th October 2023 06:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolguy (Post 2981742)
Don't know Titchmarsh Marina, but in the 1960's we used to holiday on an 85 foot MTB (innards removed - non-sea going!) which was moored at the Walton-on Naze Yacht Club. Owned by a friend of my Grandfather, it had a motor boat, rowing boat, private beach hut on the seafront, and a garage built up on a slope which avoided having to drain the cars each time the tide came over the road (several times a month I believe) all available in the package! The Club steward used to open the doors of many cars to let the water out when the owners were on longer sailing trips.

Loved Walton, but guess it has changed much. I was only a teenager. Have never been back, but have followed your mooring plans with interest, and might even visit one day to re-acquaint myself with my sister. Parents and Grandparents long since departed. Happy days.

Safe trip.

Hi Malcolm,

Walton hasn't changed that much in the years I have been 'next door' in Clacton on Sea :}

Here is a link to the History of Titchmarsh Marina. Looks like it came into being around the time you were taking your holidays there.

https://www.titchmarshmarina.co.uk/history/

If you decide to come along. Let me know and I will happily have you on board Lady Emma and take you around the Walton Backwaters, Hamford water and the Twizzle.

coolcat 29th October 2023 06:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gate Keeper (Post 2981783)
Good evening Jeff, what a busy and full day you had. Thank you for inviting us to the live action on your sea passage of choppy waters, you made it in time just before darkness, relax.

Have a peaceful night.

Cheers Phil.

The drive home was fun last night as the wind and rain was persistent and took about two and a half hours. Longer than normal as an accident in Lowestoft right at rush hour closed the A47 and led to a congested diversion!

Still, I got home in time to watch the Mexican Grand Prix Qualifying so all was good :}

coolcat 29th October 2023 06:53

A couple of Facebook Live videos from Yesterday.

Departing Great Yarmouth Harbour and arrival at Lowestoft Harbour...

coolcat 29th October 2023 06:56

A couple of photos of our departure from Norfolk...

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...92ad7581_h.jpgLady Emma departing Great Yarmouth Harbour by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...222ea6f1_h.jpgLady Emma leaving Norfolk for her new home by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr

planenut 29th October 2023 09:03

Well done, certainly an experience and example of your confidence. Thanks for taking us along for the ride, now "check those plenums"!

coolguy 29th October 2023 11:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolcat (Post 2981799)
Hi Malcolm,

Walton hasn't changed that much in the years I have been 'next door' in Clacton on Sea :}

Here is a link to the History of Titchmarsh Marina. Looks like it came into being around the time you were taking your holidays there.

If you decide to come along. Let me know and I will apply have yo on board Lady Emma and take you around the Walton Backwaters, Hamford water and the Twizzle.

That's a super offer, Jeff. Won't be this year, but maybe in 2024! The history link you sent was most interesting. My holidays there must have been up to 1964 because I remember my father had a Wolseley 6/80 at the time, which was changed for an Austin Westminster A99 late in 1964 - we couldn't afford new!

Hope Lady Emma will like her new home!

coolguy 29th October 2023 11:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolcat (Post 2981799)
Hi Malcolm,

If you decide to come along. Let me know and I will apply have yo on board Lady Emma and take you around the Walton Backwaters, Hamford water and the Twizzle.

Thanks for such a super offer, Jeff - I may well take you up on it next year! The link to the history of the Titchmarsh marina was very interesting. My last holiday there must have been in 1964, as I remember that my Father had a Wolseley 6/80 at the time which only just fitted the garage on the hill! He changed this for an Austin A99 Westminster in 1964 - we couldn't afford new!

Hope all goes well and that Lady Emma enjoys her new home.

coolcat 29th October 2023 15:15

Lady Emma security camera picked up the motion of the boat yesterday:}

coolcat 30th October 2023 10:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by planenut (Post 2981818)
Well done, certainly an experience and example of your confidence. Thanks for taking us along for the ride, now "check those plenums"!

We set sail tomorrow morning to Walton on the Naze.

Tonight we will be sampling the food of Lowestoft. Not sure where yet;)

The weather forecast is for calm seas and a gentle breeze tomorrow. Should make for a more comfortable passage and allow me to take some better quality photos and video footage.

roverbarmy 1st November 2023 09:05

It's all gone very quiet! Was it the food in Lowestoft or the sea state? :)

planenut 1st November 2023 10:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolcat (Post 2981893)
We set sail tomorrow morning to Walton on the Naze.

Tonight we will be sampling the food of Lowestoft. Not sure where yet;)

The weather forecast is for calm seas and a gentle breeze tomorrow. Should make for a more comfortable passage and allow me to take some better quality photos and video footage.

But that water will be quite wet now!

coolcat 1st November 2023 16:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by roverbarmy (Post 2982034)
It's all gone very quiet! Was it the food in Lowestoft or the sea state? :)

Small matter of a four hour boat trip followed immediately by driving my crew back to Lowestoft and Upton then coming straight back home to Essex.
I got in about 21.30hrs, I had been travelling since 08.30 on departing Lowestoft:eek:

Pretty cream crackered to say the least...Good fun though!

Anyhows..........Update is coming :D

coolcat 1st November 2023 17:06

So........
Monday I met my Dad in the early afternoon at Titchmarsh Marina.
I left my car there and Dad and I traveled up to Lowestoft in his car.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...a4a46e26_h.jpgNorfolk and Suffolk Yacht Marina by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr

Got to the boat, got changed and then headed out for dinner at a place called Iconic (just outside the marina) for dinner.

Great, food, lovely setting, good prices and great service. Well worth a visit if you are in Lowestoft.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...a2f3dd4c_h.jpgIconic by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr

After a great meal we went back to the boat, stuck Sky sports on and watched Coventry v West Brom . Good game if you're not a Coventry supporter :eek:

Went to bed then got woken at around 01.00hrs by the sound of boat engines running and some talking.
It was the Lowestoft AWLB towing back a stricken yacht into the Yacht Marina.

No casualties, just a breakdown that was dealt with to save it becoming a bigger problem.

06.00hrs..... Time to get up, make a brew and start getting Lady Emma prepared for departure.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...d66817fe_h.jpgLady Emma by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...b78ea045_h.jpgLady Emma in Lowestoft by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr

Dad wasn't coming on this leg of the journey as he had to get home.
He left around 07.00hrs as my other two crew for the trip arrived.

We slipped our lines at 08.00hrs and made for the fuel berth.
Topped up our tanks and departed Lowestoft Harbour at 08.30hrs .

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...db3c14b3_h.jpgLady Emma by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr

The weather was good with calm seas and a gentle breeze. The sea mist burnt off very quickly and we were making good progress.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...6098352e_h.jpgLady Emma by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr

The halfway point (ish) saw us passing Sizewell Nuclear Power station...

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...ebddcb1b_h.jpgLady Emma by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr

Zed the Ted was enjoying being in charge:D

He even let me have a little go :eek:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...2139315c_h.jpgLady Emma by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr

A little further, about two and a half hours into the trip we passed the ports of Felixstowe and Harwich...Not far now:}

Approaching the Walton channel...

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...4332646e_h.jpgLady Emma by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr

And into the entrance of Titchmarsh Marina at 12.00hrs . Half an hour ahead of our ETA :D

Lady Emma in her new home:}

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...f2320534_h.jpgLady Emma edit by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr

Got Lady Emma all settled in, then it was the small matter of driving my crew back to Suffolk and Norfolk and coming back home.
A great but tiring day.
The weather was wonderful compared to the first leg and Lady Emma kept us safe and performed faultlessly:}

The weather for the next few days doesn't look great so we shall see when we can take her out for a pootle round her new waters:}

planenut 1st November 2023 18:31

Very well done.

coolcat 1st November 2023 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by planenut (Post 2982077)
Very well done.

Cheers,

More adventures to follow :}

roverbarmy 1st November 2023 20:21

A great job. Respect to seafarers around the world. My great uncle was a coastguard and some of the tales he told were amazing. A shout out for the RNLI and the independent lifeboat stations around our coasts. They do what it says on the boat! Ban inflatables at the seaside and stick summat int' tin.;)

coolcat 2nd November 2023 12:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by roverbarmy (Post 2982086)
A great job. Respect to seafarers around the world. My great uncle was a coastguard and some of the tales he told were amazing. A shout out for the RNLI and the independent lifeboat stations around our coasts. They do what it says on the boat! Ban inflatables at the seaside and stick summat int' tin.;)

Cheers Mike.

Totally agree on the RNLI. Amazing that those Men & Woman put their lives on the line to help those in need, all for no monetary gain :bowdown:

coolcat 2nd November 2023 12:48

A few extra videos from the Tuesday...

Gate Keeper 3rd November 2023 09:17

Good morning Jeff, thanks for posting up the videos. It must have been a great experience to be able to open up the double Volvos at full throttle, but filling up must have been something else. You are there now enjoying the Titchmarsh marina and getting settled in.

Do keep us posted.

coolcat 3rd November 2023 14:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gate Keeper (Post 2982183)
Good morning Jeff, thanks for posting up the videos. It must have been a great experience to be able to open up the double Volvos at full throttle, but filling up must have been something else. You are there now enjoying the Titchmarsh marina and getting settled in.

Do keep us posted.

Thanks Phil.

We have had the taps at WOT (wide open throttle) before over Breydon water but that is only a short 10 minute run at around 22 knots.

We didn't go full bore on the trip. We were at a comfortable cruising speed of around 15-17 knots. A good pace with an eye on economy ;)

Speaking of which. The fuel burn over both parts I have estimated at around 150-200 litres over a total distance (including the river from Acle to Great Yarmouth) of about 75 nautical miles :}

Very much looking forward to having Jessica and yourself on board soon:}

Gate Keeper 3rd November 2023 15:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolcat (Post 2982204)
Thanks Phil.

We have had the taps at WOT (wide open throttle) before over Breydon water but that is only a short 10 minute run at around 22 knots.

We didn't go full bore on the trip. We were at a comfortable cruising speed of around 15-17 knots. A good pace with an eye on economy ;)

Speaking of which. The fuel burn over both parts I have estimated at around 150-200 litres over a total distance (including the river from Acle to Great Yarmouth) of about 75 nautical miles :}

Very much looking forward to having Jessica and yourself on board soon:}

Thank you for the invitation :)

75 nautical miles Jeff is certainly impressive and of course you had to pace it. I am certain we won’t be visiting this year as we continue to recover from our ops, but hopefully next summer season will be a different story.

coolcat 12th November 2023 07:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gate Keeper (Post 2982209)
Thank you for the invitation :)

75 nautical miles Jeff is certainly impressive and of course you had to pace it. I am certain we won’t be visiting this year as we continue to recover from our ops, but hopefully next summer season will be a different story.

Will look forward to it Phil & Jessica.

It's been far too long since we last got together in person:}