The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Double Din Navigation Systems (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   NAvall Comet Head Units Advise and support thread (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=271427)

Radioguy 3rd August 2017 20:46

NAvall Comet Head Units Advise and support thread

Hello All, Now that the Comets are arriving the true tests, the customer feedback, is coming in and so far seems very good.

As always , I hope that we can all share experiences and discoveries that will help each other.

So far , this has been the feedback and niggles that we received
thanks to Mike and Coolcat for their input.

1. If using both DAB and Front DVR both work with the DAB plugged into USB and the camera plugged into 3G, just thought I would let you know to save any customer confusion over the labeling !

2. The main power loom (provided with the Comet) is wired completely differently to ALL other Navall products so PLEASE do NOT use the old one (which will actually fit.)

3. Steering wheel control cable , on the comet power cable , there is a Key 1 brown and key ground to the blue/orange and blue/purple wires.

4. Reverse light signal (Trigger wire) for rear camera. The Comet has a REV1 and a REV2 but signal is connected to REV 1

5. When tuning FM make sure that AF TA or PTY are not selected as this reduces the stations found on first scan

6. Factory settings you need it to change some basic things like boot logo – Password is 126

7. Manual can be accessed here CLICK HERE

Radioguy 3rd August 2017 20:46

For Future

For future if required

BigAde 4th August 2017 08:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radioguy (Post 2525676)

3. Steering wheel control cable , on the comet power cable , there is a brown cable which is marked key2 , you have to connect original steering cable to this key2 brown cable

Jeff had previously mentioned it was key1 to use for the SWC. Can either be used then?

coolcat 4th August 2017 08:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAde (Post 2525780)
Jeff had previously mentioned it was key1 to use for the SWC. Can either be used then?

Yep.....and I is correct lol:D

Key 1 brown and key ground to the blue/orange and blue/purple wires in the car loom......matters not which way round:}

Also just to correct the above that Sean posted.

Reverse wires are not marked 1 or 2.

One is solid orange and the other is orange with a black line, the latter is the one you use ;)

BigAde 4th August 2017 09:10

Thanks Jeff.

So just to repeat my findings from the other thread and keep feedback in the right thread... this is my experience after less than 48 hours with it fitted so far (comparisons to previous Navall WinCE and Navall 3)

1. I do find the lack of physical "Home" and "Back" keys slightly disconcerting, but I'll get used to it. Have configured the 'long press' of the Mode button on the SWC to be Home, and that works well for me.
  2. The new features in Android 7 are very nice and the whole look and feel of the interface is a massive improvement. I've still installed CarDashdroid as I prefer the simpler interface while driving, but the compelling reasons for doing so have diminished.
  3. Sound quality so far seems to be an improvement, but early days on that score.
  4. Radio tuner interface is a big improvement and finally a decent implementation of RDS. Not able to make any valid comment about reception because my ZT-T seems to have an aerial problem (and has had for some time - not traced the cause yet).
  5. In terms of system performance I can't say I've seen any noticeable difference over the Navall 3, but it's still more than acceptable on that score.
  6. The warm boot is just wonderful - almost instant start - no more waiting 30 seconds for boot after each start.
  7. The built in media player is fine and relatively easy to control, although I do feel that changing albums is more difficult than it should be. Also, it doesn't seem to display album artwork, but then I've not explored all the options yet, so perhaps I'm missing something. I've yet to reinstall my favourite media player from the Navall 3 - Rocket Player. Although I've yet to come across the perfect media player for car use, most seem to have small buttons or menus that make it difficult to navigate.
  8. Google Maps navigation seems to work so much better, presumably due to the upgraded version of Android (which perhaps supports a newer version?). The design seems to have improved and the traffic information is still superb.
All in all, and it's still early days (not tried the disc player at all), but so far so good - IMHO a hugely worthwhile upgrade. I liked both the Navall WinCE and the Navall 3 - both had their niggles (some worse than others)and the Comet improves on these in almost every area. I'm sure there will be niggles with the Comet too, but I've yet to discover them.

mbonwick 4th August 2017 16:48

Does anyone know what the connector block for the steering wheel controls is called (i.e. what type it is).

Would rather not have to go splicing into the car loom if I can just graft a plug onto the Navall's wires...

coolcat 4th August 2017 16:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbonwick (Post 2525918)
Does anyone know what the connector block for the steering wheel controls is called (i.e. what type it is).

Would rather not have to go splicing into the car loom if I can just graft a plug onto the Navall's wires...

If you PM me your address I can pop one in the post for you :}

Radioguy 4th August 2017 16:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAde (Post 2525780)

Mine is from the factory , Jeff's I tend to trust more ! Ill get it clarified though

coolcat 4th August 2017 16:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radioguy (Post 2525921)
Mine is from the factory , Jeff's I ten to trust more ! Ill get it clarified though

Factory is wrong........it doesn't function on key 2 :eek:

Burwell Mike 7th August 2017 15:56

Quick progress report on the Comet having used it for a week or so and a few hundred miles. Initial impressions are confirmed in that, in my opinion, it is better all round than the Navall3, highlights being instant hot boot, better FM radio interface and smooth up to date Android OS. Totally agree with Big Ade's findings above.

I have also noticed that I am getting a stronger wifi signal from the my home hub when parked on drive.

I was initially concerned that the DAB had no presets, but now that I have got used to it I prefer the new interface. Available stations are listed on the right of the screen in a fairly large font and it is just as easy to select from that screen as it is from small pre set buttons.

Fitted front camera today - simply plugged into USB port and we were away. Good picture with time,location and speed data added.

I might be missing something as I have only just started to use it but I can only find options on the installed DVR app to record in 5, 10 or 15 minute bursts. I was expecting the ability to continuously record on a loop. Has anyone found how to do this or can recommend a third party DVR app?

Mike

mbonwick 8th August 2017 13:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolcat (Post 2525920)
If you PM me your address I can pop one in the post for you :}

Thanks ever so much Jeff, arrived safe & sound this morning.

Muchly appreciated sir!

coolcat 8th August 2017 13:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbonwick (Post 2527550)
Thanks ever so much Jeff, arrived safe & sound this morning.

Muchly appreciated sir!

You're very welcome, hope it does the job for you:}

Burwell Mike 8th August 2017 14:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burwell Mike (Post 2527157)

Fitted front camera today - simply plugged into USB port and we were away. Good picture with time,location and speed data added.

I might be missing something as I have only just started to use it but I can only find options on the installed DVR app to record in 5, 10 or 15 minute bursts. I was expecting the ability to continuously record on a loop. Has anyone found how to do this or can recommend a third party DVR app?

Mike

Having been on a long drive today with front camera fitted I think I can answer my own question! I had wrongly assumed that the 5,10, 15 minute timer buttons set the length of time that the DVR app recorded for. It seems however that the default is continuous recording and the timers simply break the files down into 5, 10 or 15 min lengths. Makes it quicker to find anything on the journey you want to review. I assume when the SD card is full it will overwrite the earliest files, but have not got that far yet to confirm.

So no need for a different app after all

Mike

coolcat 8th August 2017 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burwell Mike (Post 2527596)
Having been on a long drive today with front camera fitted I think I can answer my own question! I had wrongly assumed that the 5,10, 15 minute timer buttons set the length of time that the DVR app recorded for. It seems however that the default is continuous recording and the timers simply break the files down into 5, 10 or 15 min lengths. Makes it quicker to find anything on the journey you want to review. I assume when the SD card is full it will overwrite the earliest files, but have not got that far yet to confirm.

So no need for a different app after all

Mike

You'll need to drive more miles to find out Mike:D

Nice catching up earlier, hope the speakers do the job:}

Burwell Mike 8th August 2017 16:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolcat (Post 2527616)
You'll need to drive more miles to find out Mike:D

Nice catching up earlier, hope the speakers do the job:}

Nice to see you Jeff - speakers look like they will fit well, thanks.

Not sure I can afford the petrol to fill a 32Gb card :}

Mike

mbonwick 9th August 2017 18:59

So far I've got to concur with Mike's observations, though I've not got round to the DAB yet (thinking I might try and fit an external one behind the rear bumper and see how that goes...).

Just a quick question about the wiring on the reverse camera...
AM I right in thinking that at the Navall end, the Rev 1 wire needs connecting to the red wire included with the phono lead & a reverse wire from the car's loom?
Meanwhile at the camera end, the red from the phono cable goes to the +12V power (so red to red wire solder), and the black wire to an earth?

Burwell Mike 10th August 2017 07:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbonwick (Post 2528200)

Just a quick question about the wiring on the reverse camera...
AM I right in thinking that at the Navall end, the Rev 1 wire needs connecting to the red wire included with the phono lead & a reverse wire from the car's loom?
Meanwhile at the camera end, the red from the phono cable goes to the +12V power (so red to red wire solder), and the black wire to an earth?

On mine I connected the red wire from the phono lead to the orange wire with a black stripe labelled Reverse on the Comet loom (ignore the other reverse orange wire). At the camera end I connected the same red wire to the reversing light wire behind the rear light cluster - green/brown from memory but might need to defer to Jeff on that. Black goes to ground.

Found this thread that might help, at post #5 there is a useful "how to" guide

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...+camera+tourer

RobPlews 10th August 2017 08:12

Comet Trials and successes

Big Ade - I was having reception troubles with my tourer with my Comet. And I seem to have solved the problem for my late model tourer at least. Sean asked me to post my findings here.

Seemed to me the antenna amplifier wasn't getting any power. I did a bit of research and a bit of electrical testing on this one. I'm not a chump when I comes to good old fashioned wiring at least. My amplifier certainly wasn't getting any power but with a wire to the boot light I could make it come on (and turn it on/off with the interior lights which was handy for testing).

So where was the power coming from with the old unit?

Having looked at a few wiring diagrams I got their in the end.

Pin 5 on the grey ISO plug does indeed power the antenna amplifier in the back D pillar of my tourer (2005) via a purple/yellow wire. Somehow its brown and yellow when it gets to the back of the car but whatever, it may split to run amps on other models.

On the black block that comes with the Comet pin 5 connects to a blue wire labelled 'ANT' funnily enough. This doesn't go into the Navall unit, it's a loose wire with a bullet connector on the end.

This is quite handy as connecting that to a live feed makes the cars antenna amplifier work with no chopping of looms etc.

The difference it has made for me is huge - without it I couldn't get BBC Newcastle here at all as I'm right on the edge of the broadcast area. With the amp working I can get it in stereo and better than my works Ford Ranger which is brand new.

Hopefully this may be useful to you in future if anyone is having trouble.

Burwell Mike 10th August 2017 09:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobPlews (Post 2528409)
Big Ade - I was having reception troubles with my tourer with my Comet. And I seem to have solved the problem for my late model tourer at least. Sean asked me to post my findings here.

Seemed to me the antenna amplifier wasn't getting any power. I did a bit of research and a bit of electrical testing on this one. I'm not a chump when I comes to good old fashioned wiring at least. My amplifier certainly wasn't getting any power but with a wire to the boot light I could make it come on (and turn it on/off with the interior lights which was handy for testing).

So where was the power coming from with the old unit?

Having looked at a few wiring diagrams I got their in the end.

Pin 5 on the grey ISO plug does indeed power the antenna amplifier in the back D pillar of my tourer (2005) via a purple/yellow wire. Somehow its brown and yellow when it gets to the back of the car but whatever, it may split to run amps on other models.

On the black block that comes with the Comet pin 5 connects to a blue wire labelled 'ANT' funnily enough. This doesn't go into the Navall unit, it's a loose wire with a bullet connector on the end.

This is quite handy as connecting that to a live feed makes the cars antenna amplifier work with no chopping of looms etc.

The difference it has made for me is huge - without it I couldn't get BBC Newcastle here at all as I'm right on the edge of the broadcast area. With the amp working I can get it in stereo and better than my works Ford Ranger which is brand new.

Hopefully this may be useful to you in future if anyone is having trouble.

Brilliant bit of detective work ! I have found that the Comet reception was not as good as the Navall 3, it improved a bit with a new aerial adapter but I am sure what you have found is the real reason why ( I also have a tourer).

Not being as expert on wiring as you obviously are could you confirm where you picked up the live feed for the blue "ANT" wire. Could save me a bit of time next time I pull it out again to fix this!

Many thanks

Mike

coolcat 10th August 2017 09:17

Having just scrutinised the Iso loom supplied with the Comet it does indeed have the aerial amplifier control wire removed from the loom plug and instead is on a trailing blue lead going back to the iso connector. So connecting the bullet connector to the ignition/acc live wire will power up the aerial amp.

Well done for finding this as I hadn't noticed :duh:

coolcat 10th August 2017 09:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burwell Mike (Post 2528429)
Brilliant bit of detective work ! I have found that the Comet reception was not as good as the Navall 3, it improved a bit with a new aerial adapter but I am sure what you have found is the real reason why ( I also have a tourer).

Not being as expert on wiring as you obviously are could you confirm where you picked up the live feed for the blue "ANT" wire. Could save me a bit of time next time I pull it out again to fix this!

Many thanks

Mike

Hi Mike,

Splice it into the acc/ignition live wire on the head unit loom and you will be good to go :}

A big Thank you goes to Rob for finding this :bowdown:

Burwell Mike 10th August 2017 09:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolcat (Post 2528435)
Hi Mike,

Splice it into the acc/ignition live wire on the head unit loom and you will be good to go :}

A big Thank you goes to Rob for finding this :bowdown:

Thanks Jeff - I feel better now for wittering on about the reception!!;)

Many thanks to Rob - an excellent bit of work!

Mike

RobPlews 10th August 2017 10:03

Hi Mike,

Yep ignition live to avoid a flat battery. Otherwise the amp might end up running all the time!

Thanks guys, good to give something back. I've had plenty of use advice from this forum over the years.

Rob

Burwell Mike 10th August 2017 10:19

Brilliant! All done and reception excellent - finding stations I did not know existed.

I spliced into a red wire that according to the diagram on top of the head unit was ACC In - hopefully that was the right one.

Thanks again :}

Mike

RobPlews 10th August 2017 10:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burwell Mike (Post 2528461)
Brilliant! All done and reception excellent - finding stations I did not know existed.

I spliced into a red wire that according to the diagram on top of the head unit was ACC In - hopefully that was the right one.

Mike

I think because I live in the back of beyond I was pushed into finding it out 😝

I had next to no reception at all without the amp.

Burwell Mike 10th August 2017 11:14

Hi Rob, Because I had a few FM stations + DAB as a fallback I had resigned myself to accepting it for what it was.

I had looked at that blue wire and even taped over the bare connector and still the penny didn't drop :duh:

All good now though

Mike

Radioguy 10th August 2017 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolcat (Post 2528432)
Having just scrutinised the Iso loom supplied with the Comet it does indeed have the aerial amplifier control wire removed from the loom plug and instead is on a trailing blue lead going back to the iso connector. So connecting the bullet connector to the ignition/acc live wire will power up the aerial amp.

Well done for finding this as I hadn't noticed :duh:

Wow, Thank you again Rob !
Jeff , should this be changed on the looms at factory level?

coolcat 10th August 2017 21:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radioguy (Post 2528674)
Wow, Thank you again Rob !
Jeff , should this be changed on the looms at factory level?

In a word..............Yep;)

Radioguy 10th August 2017 22:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolcat (Post 2528749)
In a word..............Yep;)

Okay So
Rob/Jeff So I should tell the factory to put the ANT (blue) into Pin 5 on the one that Matches the Grey ISO?
One thing i will mention is that some people change the Antenna leads but I guess that could mean they splice to the blue

Sean

RobPlews 10th August 2017 22:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radioguy (Post 2528768)
Okay So
Rob/Jeff So I should tell the factory to put the ANT (blue) into Pin 5 on the one that Matches the Grey ISO?
One thing i will mention is that some people change the Antenna leads but I guess that could mean they splice to the blue

Sean

Unless it will cause problems with any other wiring arrangement... earlier cars for example. But as I'm aware they all had an aerial amp. Jeff will likely know more than me on that front.

coolcat 11th August 2017 05:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radioguy (Post 2528768)
Okay So

Sean

Hi Sean,

The blue wire is already in the ISO connector, it's not connected into the head unit end of the supplied loom.
I'll send you a photo later when I'm back at the shop:}

coolcat 11th August 2017 05:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobPlews (Post 2528776)
Unless it will cause problems with any other wiring arrangement... earlier cars for example. But as I'm aware they all had an aerial amp. Jeff will likely know more than me on that front.

They do indeed.

I will need to check that they all get their 12 volt feed from there but I'm pretty sure they do.
All previous Navall double dins the wire was connected (from memory) so this never caused a problem. Only in Highline head unit replacement was this usually an issue.

mbonwick 11th August 2017 19:13

OK, first some positives that I'm really pleased with:
WiFi performance is much better than the Nav3 - I can reliably get connected to our network out on the drive.
Primo navigation runs much more smoothly.

However (one for Jeff I suspect)
The TMC licence files were missing from my SD card (the folder iGo\content\tmc) so I wasn't picking any TMC events up.
Copied the files over from the card in the Nav3 - and presto! A nice long list of events.

coolcat 11th August 2017 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbonwick (Post 2529086)
OK, first some positives that I'm really pleased with:
WiFi performance is much better than the Nav3 - I can reliably get connected to our network out on the drive.
Primo navigation runs much more smoothly.

However (one for Jeff I suspect)
The TMC licence files were missing from my SD card (the folder iGo\content\tmc) so I wasn't picking any TMC events up.
Copied the files over from the card in the Nav3 - and presto! A nice long list of events.

Not sure what has happened there :eek:

Just checked my folder and it is there !

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4399/...3293035a_b.jpgUntitled by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr

Anyone else experiencing the same issue let Sean know and he can send the file to copy and paste on to the navigation card.

mbonwick 11th August 2017 20:00

No idea how it happened Jeff!

I do seem to have a track record with making files disappear and configs change in iGo without trying though...

coolcat 11th August 2017 20:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbonwick (Post 2529108)
No idea how it happened Jeff!

I do seem to have a track record with making files disappear and configs change in iGo without trying though...

It could of course be me not looking and copying the wrong folder eek!!!!:duh:

mbonwick 11th August 2017 20:06

It's in a folder called "New Star" which I guessed was right as the interfaces are similar between the units (also not long between releases so not much chance of an updated version).

coolcat 11th August 2017 20:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbonwick (Post 2529122)
It's in a folder called "New Star" which I guessed was right as the interfaces are similar between the units (also not long between releases so not much chance of an updated version).

They are just my names for the folders so I can find them in the sea of stuff on the computer ;)

coolcat 11th August 2017 20:09

I reckon I might have emptied the TMC folder by mistake instead of the map folder when copying the relevant maps over to the card:duh:

wuzerk 11th August 2017 21:44

ANT Feed

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burwell Mike (Post 2528461)

Mike

did you join the two Blue leads with the plug and socket on together too or just connect the Blue marked ANT to the red ACC lead?

Burwell Mike 12th August 2017 06:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by wuzerk (Post 2529170)
did you join the two Blue leads with the plug and socket on together too or just connect the Blue marked ANT to the red ACC lead?

I just spliced the loose ANT blue wire from the Comet side of the connector on to the red ACC lead on the Comet loom. All seems to work OK so far!

Mike

robimo 12th August 2017 06:30

Hi,
I'm studying the connectors that i received with the radio and I've seen in the connector with the video out, etc. a female blue connector marked ANT.

I think the ANT blue connector must be connected to that connector or not? :confused:

Burwell Mike 12th August 2017 07:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by robimo (Post 2529217)
Hi,
I'm studying the connectors that i received with the radio and I've seen in the connector with the video out, etc. a female blue connector marked ANT.

I think the ANT blue connector must be connected to that connector or not? :confused:

You are right - totally missed that one:duh: No doubt Jeff will be along later to confirm but it looks like the factory looms were OK after all!

I'll wait for someone to test this and confirm that this sorts the aerial amp power out before I take it all out yet again!

Well spotted!

coolcat 12th August 2017 07:41

Bad news is I've got no Comets here as all have flown the nest.....So can't check the looms until the next stock arrives.

When it does arrive I will meter the output on that blue wire from the phonos and check that it does output 12 volt.....Unless someone on here has a multimeter and can do it beforehand and confirm?;)

wuzerk 12th August 2017 16:07

daft question

ok, I expect a leg pull but i canot see how to turn the unit off without
turning off the ignition!

coolcat 12th August 2017 17:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by wuzerk (Post 2529424)
ok, I expect a leg pull but i canot see how to turn the unit off without
turning off the ignition!

Press and hold the volume knob :}

robimo 13th August 2017 07:19

One question, please.
The pink cable BRAKE-IN must be connected to ground for seeing video when driving ?

coolcat 13th August 2017 11:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by robimo (Post 2529589)
One question, please.
The pink cable BRAKE-IN must be connected to ground for seeing video when driving ?

Not sure about Italy but displaying video whilst driving in the U.K is illegal:shrug:

There is an answer but I'll let you discover it for yourself.......sorry!

robimo 14th August 2017 06:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolcat (Post 2529660)
Not sure about Italy but displaying video whilst driving in the U.K is illegal:shrug:

There is an answer but I'll let you discover it for yourself.......sorry!

Thanks for your replay. In Italy is not illegal even if it's not a good idea displaying video driving.
But I found the answer :}

TomRS 15th August 2017 13:54

Jeff, Sean.

Can you give me an update on this ANT lead and will i need to splice it or have we figured out whats what?

Awaiting on a unit.

coolcat 15th August 2017 13:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomRS (Post 2530427)
Jeff, Sean.

Can you give me an update on this ANT lead and will i need to splice it or have we figured out whats what?

Awaiting on a unit.

No units here yet Tom so can't give definitive answer until stock arrives and I can check.

There is nothing to stop anyone from connecting to the acc/ignition wire though as it will work fine;)

mbonwick 16th August 2017 22:02

Is there a way to get the DVR camera to start recording as soon as the unit powers up?

Had a look in the settings and can't see anything about automatic start.

Burwell Mike 17th August 2017 09:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbonwick (Post 2530989)
Is there a way to get the DVR camera to start recording as soon as the unit powers up?

Had a look in the settings and can't see anything about automatic start.

I could not find anything either. The supplied App seems to be fairly basic (but does the job if I remember to switch it on!). I have tried a couple of other Apps but they seem to be set up for smartphones. One would not open (Daily Roads Voyager) and the other insisted on rotating the view by 90 degrees (auto guard dashcam).

Has anyone else found a more advanced DVR app that works well on Android head units?

Mike

mbonwick 21st August 2017 16:47

Update on the DVR - it appears to keep recording until you manually stop it. Been out and about a couple of times today, started it off first trip. After that it started recording as soon as the unit powered up when I started the car, and turned off with the head unit.

BigAde 22nd August 2017 07:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burwell Mike (Post 2529241)
You are right - totally missed that one:duh: No doubt Jeff will be along later to confirm but it looks like the factory looms were OK after all!

I'll wait for someone to test this and confirm that this sorts the aerial amp power out before I take it all out yet again!

Well spotted!

I've been away visiting my favourite part of the UK (West Wales) so have been offline for the past fortnight and am only just catching up with what's been going on.

Huge thanks to Rob and Roberto for your great detective work - you've hit the nail on the head!

Last night I connected the two blue ANT wires together. I can confirm that this has solved my reception problem and that on the drive to work I didn't drop signal once. Radio reception and sound quality is now the best I've experienced through several different head units now.

I can't comment on DAB I'm afraid as I can't justify the extra cost to buy an external adapter box plus an aerial. But with FM and RDS as good as this, I'm perfectly happy. :}

robimo 23rd August 2017 09:15

This morning I tried to install the radio.
Connections are all ok and the radio works, but I can not insert the radio if I do not remove the AC panel.
Is it right or is there another method?
Thanks.

BigAde 23rd August 2017 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by robimo (Post 2533278)
This morning I tried to install the radio.
Connections are all ok and the radio works, but I can not insert the radio if I do not remove the AC panel.
Is it right or is there another method?
Thanks.

Ciao Roberto
I think I know what you mean... I thought the same at first, but the rear of the unit drops down quite easily preventing it from sliding in, so you need to somehow lift the rear of the unit up before it can slide in... it's a bit of a fiddle but do-able.
I was actually in Milan a couple of months ago for work - my first visit and very much enjoyed visiting the city centre and particularly the Duomo.

robimo 24th August 2017 05:45

Thanks Bigade.
This morning I'll try.

Thank you for appreciating my city :}

BigAde 24th August 2017 07:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by robimo (Post 2533598)
Thanks Bigade.
This morning I'll try.

Thank you for appreciating my city :}

Prego.
But what is there not to like about Milan? Friendly people, beautiful city, great food and the stunning ladies :D

robimo 24th August 2017 08:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAde (Post 2533614)
Prego.
But what is there not to like about Milan? Friendly people, beautiful city, great food and the stunning ladies :D

For me that I live here from sixty years I consider it a good city for working, but with many air pollution, we are in the center of Po valley, and with chaotic traffic.
In fact now that I'm retired I'm thinking of moving to the countryside. :D
Maybe everybody loves what he does not have :cool:

Before, with good manners, I was able to insert the radio.
Thanks again.

Cortinadave 27th August 2017 19:13

Hey Sean/ Jeff - any word on delivery of the comets from last months offer ? I know shipment from China takes a while but its been a month now and I'm itching to get it! 😀

coolcat 29th August 2017 08:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cortinadave (Post 2534752)
Hey Sean/ Jeff - any word on delivery of the comets from last months offer ? I know shipment from China takes a while but its been a month now and I'm itching to get it! 😀

I've forwarded this on to Sean so we can find out for you :}

Cortinadave 29th August 2017 13:46

Cheers Jeff. My OEM Kenwood unit is refusing to read discs now and the local radio station only has a dozen songs so I need the comet to bail me out here ��

Radioguy 29th August 2017 21:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cortinadave (Post 2535288)
Cheers Jeff. My OEM Kenwood unit is refusing to read discs now and the local radio station only has a dozen songs so I need the comrt to bail me out here 😂

Hi Dave
They have Left HK and are on the way
I dont have a tracking that tells me they are coming on Consolidation
Sean

versus 30th August 2017 15:17

Any news about Navall with 8,8 inch screen?;):drool4: :cool:https://ru.aliexpress.com/item/8-8-A...AbTest=ae803_2

Cortinadave 21st September 2017 18:41

Had this in the car now for 48 hours and have to say I'm loving it! Thanks for the tip on the antenna lead, I first wired it in without it and was getting reasonable reception of the local stations but with the splice I'm picking up way more than my old Kenwood OEM unit did - Clyde 1 from Glasgow with full stereo and RDS and its 75 miles away. Seems to be quite a powerful receiver.

I've not got round to wiring in the reverse camera yet - job for the weekend.

One issue , I cant get the OBD2 dongle to talk to Torque. It comes up as recognising theres a dongle there, but doesn't seem to pair with it. Any ideas?

BigAde 21st September 2017 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cortinadave (Post 2543167)
Had this in the car now for 48 hours and have to say I'm loving it! Thanks for the tip on the antenna lead, I first wired it in without it and was getting reasonable reception of the local stations but with the splice I'm picking up way more than my old Kenwood OEM unit did - Clyde 1 from Glasgow with full stereo and RDS and its 75 miles away. Seems to be quite a powerful receiver.

I've not got round to wiring in the reverse camera yet - job for the weekend.

One issue , I cant get the OBD2 dongle to talk to Torque. It comes up as recognising theres a dongle there, but doesn't seem to pair with it. Any ideas?

You shouldn't need to splice - there is actually an antenna wire to connect up. I'd missed it too to start with.
See post no. 42.

Cortinadave 22nd September 2017 20:02

ah well its done now and it worked 😁

robimo 26th September 2017 07:19

I have some problems with the radio, not important, but annoying.
I tried to connect two bluetooth obd2 adapters, but the radio does not see them, while with the smatphone I have no problems.
I connected the smatphone to the radio via bluetooth, I can phone and receive, but I can't import the phonebook, maybe because the phone and the radio have two different google accounts?
A stupid question, the AF TA buttons are active when they are green or white?

Cortinadave 26th September 2017 21:18

I cant get the radio to recognise the obd2 dongle either rob. Not sure if some settings within torque need fiddled with?

MikeJohn 27th September 2017 15:23

I have just tried Torque on a newly installed Comet and it is working fine - using a Bluetooth connected OBD2 adaptor.

First step was to connect the adaptor via Bluetooth in the Bluetooth settings app.

Then tell Torque to use it in the Torque settings. I think Torque will actually use it if you miss this step, but warns you every time it starts up.

Can you see the OBD2 adaptor as a device under Bluetooth settings?

Mike

Cortinadave 27th September 2017 22:14

Gave it another go tonight and strangely now the comet isnt seeing my phone or the obd 2 dongle on the bluetooth app! it connected fine the other day for phone calls.

My phone isnt seeing the comet but is seeing the obd2 dongle and will pair with it. Any ideas? tried a reset of both but no joy.

when i tried the other day i could connect the phone no problem and make calls etc... but the dongle would pair on torque then the comet said no response

robimo 28th September 2017 06:23

My problem is that the bluetooth app of the radio don't see the obd2 dongle and I can't connect it, while the smatphone see it without problem :shrug:
Is not important for me, I use torque only for checking errors, but is annoying.
Is more annoying that I can't import phonebook with the phone app.

T16 8th October 2017 07:41

The time has come for a satnav upgrade on this car.

However, the Navall Premium seems better than the Comet? Whats going on?

Radioguy 8th October 2017 16:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by T16 (Post 2548824)
The time has come for a satnav upgrade on this car.

However, the Navall Premium seems better than the Comet? Whats going on?

The Premium has a an Octacore processor but it is Definitely NOT better than the Comet. Actually we have and are in the process of changing some from Premium to Comets

BigAde 1st November 2017 20:36

Did anyone find a solution for Comet not seeing the Bluetooth ODB2 adapter? Yet a separate Android tablet can see the adapter just fine.

John Armstrong 7th November 2017 22:19

Interested

If the Sat Nav can be built in - how does one update? Yes, I'm interested but all I require is reliability. My Star started to play up (Sat Nav) on the way home from Barcelona last August/September but has behaved itself reasonably well ever since. Can live with it but wife likes the Radio (5l) Mad on Sport - Marathon runner plus...The reports imply that the Radio is much improved.
Don't need any extras...require best deal as I may be going for a new car - well, in about 18 months or so.
John

Radioguy 7th November 2017 22:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Armstrong (Post 2561018)
If the Sat Nav can be built in - how does one update? Yes, I'm interested but all I require is reliability. My Star started to play up (Sat Nav) on the way home from Barcelona last August/September but has behaved itself reasonably well ever since. Can live with it but wife likes the Radio (5l) Mad on Sport - Marathon runner plus...The reports imply that the Radio is much improved.
Don't need any extras...require best deal as I may be going for a new car - well, in about 18 months or so.
John

Hi John

Email sent just now

Cheers

aircub 12th November 2017 08:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAde (Post 2558901)
Did anyone find a solution for Comet not seeing the Bluetooth ODB2 adapter? Yet a separate Android tablet can see the adapter just fine.

This problem is widespread amongst a lot of the Double Din Android units. The problem is that the software has been designed to only see a particular OBD signature, and unfortunately if the OBD adapter does not have the correct address then your screwed.

It appears there is a solution but it requires "rooting" your android box and therefore maybe invalidating any warranty.

More info can be found here
https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...9906?nocache=1

BigAde 12th November 2017 14:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by aircub (Post 2562502)
This problem is widespread amongst a lot of the Double Din Android units. The problem is that the software has been designed to only see a particular OBD signature, and unfortunately if the OBD adapter does not have the correct address then your screwed.

It appears there is a solution but it requires "rooting" your android box and therefore maybe invalidating any warranty.

More info can be found here
https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...9906?nocache=1

Thanks aircub, that's good information. I don't fancy rooting the headunit... I have done it on some phones but there's always the risk of bricking your device.

But I suppose it may be worthwhile buying a more up to date ODB2 bluetooth dongle, ... mine was a v1.5 one and came from Ebay about 5 years ago, so I guess the internals of them are likely to be different these days. There are loads on Amazon/Ebay for a couple of quid. Can anyone who DID get theirs to work share what theirs is and where they got it from?

aircub 12th November 2017 15:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAde (Post 2562642)
Thanks aircub, that's good information. I don't fancy rooting the headunit... I have done it on some phones but there's always the risk of bricking your device.

But I suppose it may be worthwhile buying a more up to date ODB2 bluetooth dongle, ... mine was a v1.5 one and came from Ebay about 5 years ago, so I guess the internals of them are likely to be different these days. There are loads on Amazon/Ebay for a couple of quid. Can anyone who DID get theirs to work share what theirs is and where they got it from?

I also have problem with TPMS sensors as well, again they use bluetooth but unless they are named correctly Android won't see them.

Cortinadave 13th November 2017 17:09

is your comet seeing ANY bluetooth device? Mine worked for a few days but now doesnt "see" any bluetooth devices at all. Tried a couple of resets but no joy. Anyone else come across this?

Radioguy 16th November 2017 21:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cortinadave (Post 2563027)
is your comet seeing ANY bluetooth device? Mine worked for a few days but now doesnt "see" any bluetooth devices at all. Tried a couple of resets but no joy. Anyone else come across this?

HI CD
Have you cleared all BT devics and tried to reconnect?

Cortinadave 23rd November 2017 17:56

Yes... I tried a factory reset of the whole thing too... it searches for bluetooth devices but doesnt find any... and my phone doesnt see it either... Worked fine initially but nothing at all now.

Any other reboot ideas I could try?

BigAde 14th December 2017 08:27

So, I've finally cured my Bluetooth ODB2 connection problem.

I purchased a new Bluetooth 4.0 ODB2 adapter, took a few week to arrive from Hong Kong and connected it earlier this morning. It was this one:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bluetooth...K/142130732280
Cost is £7.20 delivered.

I'm pleased to say that my Comet found it straight away (presumably due to the newer version of Bluetooth), no problems pairing and Torque now works fine with it. It also has the added bonus of working with my iPhone over Bluetooth. Previously you had to use Wi-Fi ODB2 devices to use them with iPhones, but fortunately no more :) Not had time to do a lot with it so far, but all looking good!

MIT 1st February 2018 20:25

Well ...
My previous OBD paired with the Comet via Bluetooth, connected to Torque successfuly, but then ... could not connect to ECU.
So I thought, OK, could be something wrong with the OBD, so let's order the one Big Ade did.
Arrived surprisingly fast. Paired. Connected to Torque immediately. Checked all settings. Everything compatible. And then ... the same story.
The "Adapter Status Information" says: Connection to ECU - Can the adapter talk OK to the vehicle ECU? NO.
In, out, on, off, reboot, reverse order ... always the same story; just when you think everything will be OK.
Surfing the Internet one finds tens and tens of similar stories. Sometimes the same OBD works with one car, but not with the other. Sometimes it suddenly "finds" the ECU after quite some time and after several miles.
I am quite certain that it has nothing to do with "bad" or "cheap" OBD. After all, the previous one was provided by Radioguy.
It must be something else. But what?
Has anyone had the same experience but finally found a solution with THE SAME OBD, not buying new ones until from some unknown reason one of them managed to talk to the ECU?
Any hint more than welcome (in the meantime I will just be jealous at Big Ade) :}

EDIT:
Fixed. Not sure what really happened LOL. Could be this, finally: unpaired my phone and OBD2, paired OBD2, everything went OK with Torque, then paired back the phone.

robimo 13th February 2018 07:23

When I press the power button I think the radio go in standby because when I switch it on it starts immediately and I think there is power consumption.
is there a method to turn it off with consumption 0? I have to leave the car stops for two months, I would not find the battery drain.
Thanks

Sjonnie 13th February 2018 11:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by robimo (Post 2595248)
When I press the power button I think the radio go in standby because when I switch it on it starts immediately and I think there is power consumption.
is there a method to turn it off with consumption 0? I have to leave the car stops for two months, I would not find the battery drain.
Thanks

Disconnect the battery if possible. Otherwise the clock and alarm system still use power and could drain your battery.

HTH

robimo 14th February 2018 07:24

:duh: wow I don't think the clock and alarm.
Is better to disconnect the battery.:}

Bazzzs 23rd February 2018 15:08

DVR problem

Hi guys,

I received my Comet a few weeks ago and I'm in love with it. Thanks for the Antenna amp solution, I have connected the blue ANT to the red wire. However, I have a problem with the DVR. When the screen is full with details (during daytime in the city) the recording is very laggy. I tried to restart the head unit and use the Dashcam with a different USB port, but it didn't get better, it's just not smooth. Shall I use a different DVR app, or what could cause the problem?

Thanks,
Balazs

MikeJohn 23rd February 2018 19:43

Is the sdcard fast enough? I found if I stored the dvr files on the same card I was playing music from, then the music stuttered.

So I copied all the files from the original map sd card to a new, larger and faster (class 10) card then set the dvr to record to the map card.

HTH

Mike

Bazzzs 23rd February 2018 22:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeJohn (Post 2599237)
Is the sdcard fast enough? I found if I stored the dvr files on the same card I was playing music from, then the music stuttered.

So I copied all the files from the original map sd card to a new, larger and faster (class 10) card then set the dvr to record to the map card.

HTH

Mike

I'm using a 32Gb Kingston Class 10 microSD for DVR recording. I usually listen to radio stations with the built in app while driving. What kind of format should I use? Now it is fat32, could it be the problem? Oh, and I'm using a different launcher (carwebguru).

John Armstrong 2nd March 2018 21:25

areas of Comet to be resolved

Can anyone pass comment on areas just experienced - just applied the unit today. Overall, like it but -
1. In the radio section, station names have been saved but why do these not appear on the main screen - only the frequency is shown. So is it possible to display the RDS station name on the main screen as opposed to just the radio frequency. Seems odd that only the frequency is displayed when the radio has RDS capability.

2. Steering wheels control. Not working but will have the unit out again to establish if I've missed something.

3. How does one change the bluetooth volume ? (It is ultra loud when activated) This should be obvious but I cannot see the unit menu item for this one..

4. AM - How does one get better reception? FM seem ok and clear.
Any assistance would be appreciated. and thanks

John Armstrong 5th March 2018 15:24

Have kept reading what other members with similar problems had and applied possible fixes but am as wise as ever - different language - Also, quoting items with short cut in capitals.
They were dealing with DD's of 2011 vintage but 7 years later my unit (received 2018)was supposed to be plug and play.
Will try one of those 'in line' boosters ex eBay (around £5) but any idea where to locate the live feed. Please, can anyone assist? John

Sjonnie 5th March 2018 16:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Armstrong (Post 2602959)
*snip*
Will try one of those 'in line' boosters ex eBay (around £5) but any idea where to locate the live feed. Please, can anyone assist? John

Hi John,

I have uploaded a wiring diagram from the workshop manual. You should be able to tap in the live feed based on the color coding of the wiring.

https://s5.postimg.org/p8188op1v/Wir...am_Harmony.png

PS. Sorry for the horrible adds @Postimage :getmecoat:

John Armstrong 5th March 2018 20:19

Comet observations

Thanks, now only to hear in response to my initial problems.
cheers
John

mbonwick 5th March 2018 20:57

Not much help I'm afraid John.

1. Mine does show station names on the main screen. I've not touched anything to make it do this, so no idea what needs changing.

2. There is an app SWC or something similar that allows you to match the inputs to the radio. I did have to set mine up, so I guess yours will be the same.

3&4, don't know, sorry. Have you connected the two "ANT" wires (blue) on the loom? May help with reception.

John Armstrong 6th March 2018 21:16

NBONWICK
Thanks for you response - Agree that the station title comes up on the main screen but that is only for FM. Remains the frequency number on AM - weird?
Perhaps someone will advise me further. AM certainly has a background noise which includes a ticking noise (slow machine gun) Otherwise I find the Comet pretty good except for the few listed niggles.
John

mbonwick 7th March 2018 22:33

AM doesn't have the capability to transmit station names, so you will only see the frequency. (This is not a shortcoming of the Comet but of the AM wave transmission itself)

John Armstrong 8th March 2018 12:21

Interesting and thanks
John

Bazzzs 10th March 2018 06:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeJohn (Post 2599237)

HTH

Mike

I tried it with two different (16 Gb and 32 Gb) class 10 SD cards and also with the 8 Gb map SD card, but it didn't get any better. The first recorded file is smooth with 29 fps, but the second is always stuttering with 19 fps. I tried to install different DVR apps, but they won't start or just can't detect my USB cam. Is there a solution for the problem (a different cam for example)?

Balázs

John Armstrong 11th March 2018 13:22

A M interference on Comet

Tried one of those Boosters ex Amazon - selected the most expensive and it also had a separate fuse. Load of rubbish - neither plus or minus.
Don't really want to add a roof aerial - but we'll see.
Just need to remove the interference from A M. (F M excellent)
John

John Armstrong 12th March 2018 12:34

I was under the illusion that all problems encountered on the Comet in August/September 2017 had been taken up with the Factory and included in the Units received in February 2018. (hence the plug and play) . Anyway, in despair, I reworked as per original corrections and it worked. I now have a fully working Comet and if it keeps going - fantastic..Many thank to those who assisted. Now put to bed.
John

mbonwick 12th March 2018 18:38

John, when you say you "reworked as per original corrections", are you referring to the blue ANT leads? I've left my disconnected as FM signal seems OK but wondering if I should connect them...

John Armstrong 12th March 2018 21:52

As I had a blue spare short wire with a bullet connector on the end - I reworked as per Thread No's 20 and 21 etc by Coolcat. All the difference in the world and cheers
john

John Armstrong 13th March 2018 10:17

Perhaps I should qualify....If your FM is OK and you don't use AM then there's no point in reworking. I've now got a big smile on Rosemary's face as she can keep up to date with Sport. (with myself a Radio 4 fan)
John

Teflon 13th March 2018 10:42

Does this apply only to the Comet head units, or would it also apply to earlier models (Win CE specifically)? Just curious really, as I don't listen to AM, and my FM reception is fine :}.

Cliff

John Armstrong 13th March 2018 16:04

Teflon, Truly I do not know - nor do I know where to ask since Sean been banned. I believe he's got a new workshop to replace Jeff (Coolcat) Have no contact for the 'new' one. However, there are quite a few genned up members who may be along shortly who hopefully will advise.
cheers
Joohn

mbonwick 13th March 2018 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teflon (Post 2605992)
Does this apply only to the Comet head units, or would it also apply to earlier models (Win CE specifically)? Just curious really, as I don't listen to AM, and my FM reception is fine :}.

Cliff

Just the Comet as far as I'm aware. For some reason the power wire for the aerial amp (?) was split on the Comet loom, requiring the 2 ends to be soldered together.

Not an issue on earlier models.

Teflon 13th March 2018 20:18

Thanks for the clarification,

Cliff

John Armstrong 15th March 2018 20:59

Comet incoming phone calls

Everything is now working, with only one issue requiring adjustment.
That is, the announcement of an incoming call is so loud that one nearly jumps out of their skin. (no comment!) Can anyone advise how to reduce the volume please? and thanks
John

John Armstrong 18th March 2018 14:32

Volume of incoming call ringing tone solved...left the incoming call ringing and turned the volume down to what we thought reasonable. Then tried again and it worked.. That was certainly an easy fix.
John

Cortinadave 20th March 2018 13:09

I've still had no luck with getting bluetooth working after it seemed to go dead a week into ownership.

It seeks but wont find any bluetooth devices at all, nor will my phone find the comet.

Tried a factory reset, even a "bluetooth fix" app with no result, and have just heard from another member who has this same problem.

Have there been any software updates I could try? it drives me crazy as I like the unit otherwise!

Not keen to try "rooting" in case I brick the thing entirely

clouddog 21st March 2018 06:26

Hi guys, I'm not around here a lot but I hoped you could help me with a few problems regarding my comet.

I bought a comet trough Sean to replace my previous Navall unit.

I have it installed in a Rover Garage (Van noort Holland, pretty famous around here for rover cars)

Problem nr1 Bluetooth:
Sometimes i can connect my iphone 8 to the Comet but more times I cannot. Last time i was so fed up with it that i did a factory reset on my morning ride to work. after reboot. No way to connect to the Comet trough bluetooth. I had the name change and a new pasword (needed after factory reset) No connection at all possible.
When I drove home in the evening. I could connect.Strange thing is that he renamed the name and changed the pasword (CAR-KIT)
This morning no way to connect to the comet trough bluetooth again.
Even when I remove the name CARKIT from my bluetooth list on the phone and he has to search he doesn't find.
So bluetooth is definitely not working.

Are there more people with the same issue? I know already CortinaDave from the Forum here has the same problem and hasn't been able to find a fix.

I seriously hope there is a workaround because phone is a necessity!

Question 2 mirrorlink:
This is something that doesn't work at all.
The connection procedure works allright but the result on screen is a black screen met a fat line in it. And the sound is tsssksksksksksks..
I should just see my phone and be able to play Spotify on my foon trough the radio right?
Does it work with anybody else?

Question 3:
when i put on my radio it always on the last channel i was listening. That is igood.
But all the post i had put into memory are gone. It looks like i missed to connect a cable. Can someone confirm that?

Question 4:
Sean has his navalls equipped with a navigation system (IGO i think). Since I did a factory reset I lost the link on the screen. The card is still in the unit so i think i only have to repare the link. Does somebody knows how or can point me to the right information page.?

Would be great.

Thanks!!

Sjonnie 23rd March 2018 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by clouddog (Post 2609422)
*snip*
Question 4:
Sean has his navalls equipped with a navigation system (IGO i think). Since I did a factory reset I lost the link on the screen. The card is still in the unit so i think i only have to repare the link. Does somebody knows how or can point me to the right information page.?

Would be great.

Thanks!!

Hi WolkenHond ;)

I believe you will find an APK file on the SD card that contains the software. You will have to re-install from APK and tell the unit that you want to use iGo as your navigation companion. At least this is the case with my NavAll 1.

Note that you might have to place said SD card in the "other" slot of the unit. AFAIK you can't install from the "Map" slot.

HTH

BigAde 23rd March 2018 13:32

Or just abandon iGo and download Waze or Google Maps. Either of which are free and in my opinion much better.

Sjonnie 23rd March 2018 13:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAde (Post 2610369)
Or just abandon iGo and download Waze or Google Maps. Either of which are free and in my opinion much better.

Might be the case in the UK but in the Netherlands there are a few arguments for using iGo (or any other nav app that uses off-line maps).

Mobile Internet is not very cheap in the Netherlands;
Waze uses community maps that are so so in the Netherlands (IMHO);
iGo is highly customizable and rather fast in calculating in these devices;

But hey... everybody can use his personal favorite; now can he? :D

BigAde 23rd March 2018 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sjonnie (Post 2610376)
Might be the case in the UK but in the Netherlands there are a few arguments for using iGo (or any other nav app that uses off-line maps).

Mobile Internet is not very cheap in the Netherlands;
Waze uses community maps that are so so in the Netherlands (IMHO);
iGo is highly customizable and rather fast in calculating in these devices;

But hey... everybody can use his personal favorite; now can he? :D

Didn't see you were in Holland. Google maps has the ability to download a local section of maps for offline use (at least it does in the UK) and Waze uses some sort of cache and doesn't need a permanent connection to navigate... as long as you start the journey with some sort of signal. I don't have a particularly high data allowance on my phone and the amount of data either consumes is fairly minimal in my experience.

clouddog 27th March 2018 07:38

Thx BigAde and Sjonnie,

I do use waze and Google maps at the moment. (big user of waze) but it's good to have an 'offline' navigation solution.
Thanks for all the tips!

Another question:

When i want to play netflix or youtube (I have to wait sometimes long in the car) I get a black screen but perfect auudio. I had this also with my previous navll. I fixed it but don't remember how.
Looking up on internet android seems to have this a lot. Solutioj is for phones but still. (how do you get developer modus on?!?, tapping 7 times on build number doesn't work)

Can't imagine nobody has this issue on Comets? Someone has the working tip?

@cortinaDave: This bluetooth issue is really weird. Now i have sometimes bluetooth working and sometimes not. Most of the time it works. Doesn't matter how long the car stood still. I cannot see any reason why it works sometimes and sometimes not ...

BigAde 27th March 2018 07:50

I do agree that Bluetooth is hit and miss on the Comet. Sometimes it works 100% fine... other times (like this morning) it just won't connect at all. No idea on the cause, I've tried all the obvious things.

John Armstrong 29th April 2018 15:59

excellent -credit where it is due

My Navall Comet is certainly something. Mine is working fine and truly I'm pleased to bits with it. The latest I GO which is included, is extremely good - I'm experiencing only one minus factor which is, when one is ringing you, the alarm (incoming call) is extremely loud but for the low number of calls I receive, I can live with it.
Again, I'm thrilled with it and long may it last.
John

John Armstrong 16th May 2018 13:10

incoming phone calls

Still thrilled to bits with the Comet but have now lost 'in coming' phone calls linked to my mobile - unit does not recognize such. Any advice would be helpful. Still enjoying the unit
cheers
John

John Armstrong 21st May 2018 09:23

DD Unit now working

Found reason for no contact: Read such a lot about Bluetooth not functioning and didn't bother to check elsewhere. It turns out that my reception on my mobile phone was not switched to receive. Must have tampered with it somehow or maybe my little grandchildren were messing about - who knows? Anyway, all is now good except the actual call sign is somewhat loud.
cheers
John

BigAde 21st May 2018 09:54

Still enjoying my Comet after 9 months. It isn't perfect (show me an Android head unit that is), but compared with the old Navall WinCE and Navall 3 units I had, it's a vast improvement. A few niggles here and there, but no showstoppers and I'm delighted with the purchase. The sound quality is a big improvement and I no longer feel the need to upgrade the speakers. RDS on FM is great, the native MP3 player and the ability to install and use Waze for satnav is a real bonus.

The main niggle for me is the intermittent Bluetooth connectivity. It either works from the start or it doesn't. No amount of fiddling with my phone helps... it's clearly the headunit with the fault.

However, I usually just find that a full reboot of the headunit (takes maybe 30-60 seconds) is sufficient to get it to connect.

clouddog 31st October 2018 07:59

Kinda strange there is so little to tell about the Comet in this thread. I must say I don't follow car audio threads a lot so maybe there is a newer better model.

I still have a lot of issues with my Comet.

but let me start with a positive note:
Bluetooth does work fine on mine ;)
Wifi works amazing (speed sucks but to connect is great. was different on my previous model)

What doesn't work:
Radio. doesn't work at all. Keeps dropping away if you can find a radiostation. Sucks big time. I have to listen radio on wifi (connection with my phone).

Play spotify on your phone and connect that to the radio with bluetooth. something you can do these day on every modern radio. worked flawlessly on my previous navall model. Now i cannot find how to do it. When the phone is connected to the radio with bleutooth and i play music on my phone i do not hear it through the phone but alos not on the radio.

Spotify and radio.et net (both apps) take ages to start. once they start they work.

Internet is incredibly slow. (I have quick 4G on my iphone)

The mirror option (see your phone on your radio) does not work at all. Did somebody got this working? I have an iphone 8.

Netflix and youtube give me black screen. I had this also with my previous navall but i got it working =in the end. Now not usable. (want it to use when i'm waiting in the car)

Are there any updates of the operating system?

Hope you guys can help cause otherwise i have to look for a different solution and this was just throwing money away.

Sjonnie 31st October 2018 16:34

Well... you basically have two options to enjoy multimedia in your car:

1 - Ditch the Comet and buy something to replace it (bit expensive and a gamble unless you go for a premium (Chinese) unit ;) )
2 - Get in touch with Sean. He still operates a webshop I believe he might be able to provide you with the firmware of the unit. In my experience (NavAll 1) flashing the firmware does sometimes fix some of the problems.

That said I must admit that after some 5 years I am going to part with my NavAll 1. I ordered and Xtrons PA7746BP from Jubbarelly this weekend to replace it. I expect I will have a unit then that does the basics without flaw.

HTH

clouddog 1st November 2018 06:38

Thanks Sjonnie for your reply.

I bought the unit from Sean. Good guy. He also tests the units before you buy them. (saves you a chinese DOA)

But he didn't really had an answer for these issues.

What are non chinese options? I do have the special audioset in my car (hi line? ) that was on the 100year edition. Apparently it doesn't go well with all audio systems.

blaggard 1st November 2018 08:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sjonnie (Post 2682798)
Well... you basically have two options to enjoy multimedia in your car:

1 - Ditch the Comet and buy something to replace it (bit expensive and a gamble unless you go for a premium (Chinese) unit ;) )
2 - Get in touch with Sean. He still operates a webshop I believe he might be able to provide you with the firmware of the unit. In my experience (NavAll 1) flashing the firmware does sometimes fix some of the problems.

That said I must admit that after some 5 years I am going to part with my NavAll 1. I ordered and Xtrons PA7746BP from Jubbarelly this weekend to replace it. I expect I will have a unit then that does the basics without flaw.

HTH

That XTRONS Unit is a cracker!!! good choice.

Avulon 1st November 2018 11:54

Holy thread resurrection batman! - Of all the thread locking taking place recently how come this one is still open??????????????

:shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug:: shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug:

mystabe 1st November 2018 15:42

Probably for people who are foolish or lucky enough to have one that does anything it's supposed to properly :getmecoat:

Sjonnie 1st November 2018 16:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by clouddog (Post 2682955)
Thanks Sjonnie for your reply.

I bought the unit from Sean. Good guy. He also tests the units before you buy them. (saves you a chinese DOA)

But he didn't really had an answer for these issues.

What are non chinese options? I do have the special audioset in my car (hi line? ) that was on the 100year edition. Apparently it doesn't go well with all audio systems.

Hi WolkenHond ;)

Firstly, ask Sean about the firmware. He has firmware for most units he sold/sells. He is indeed a good guy that supported the units well on this forum in the time that I bought my NavAll 1.

Secondly, there are no non-Chinese options AFAIK that are custom fit for your dashboard. I wish there were :getmecoat:
You might want to consider buying a fascia for a standard double din unit. Something like this:

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...36fee9f781.jpg

or this:

https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=h...O01_FS.jpg&f=1

First one is my favorite ;)

Then you can get yourself basically any double din unit you'd like as long as you make sure the depth of the unit fits the space in the dash. Search this forum for exact measurements.

I placed a standard unit with a custom fascia in my X-type and after a little while I got used to the look of the dashboard :o

Good luck! (Veel succes!)

Cortinadave 30th December 2018 11:40

I bought a proper DAB aerial for this as i found the reception from the stick on window one pretty hopeless, but I'm not getting a signal... the new aerial needs phantom power. Is that something the comet has? if so how do I switch it on?

RobPlews 1st January 2019 16:45

Guys and gals.

I’m in the process of fitting a reversing camera.

I was keen to go wireless. Trial run this seems to work.

Except it doesn’t trigger the screen to change to the camera automatically. I seem to need to bring a feed from the reversing light circuit to make it switch. This seems fairly pointless!

I’ve found mention on other threads about a ‘reverse feed’ to the headunit somewhere but I can’t seem to find it!

Anyone any experience?

Thanks
Rob

Sjonnie 2nd January 2019 12:49

You need to connect the reverse wire of the units loom to a green/brown wire that you should be able to find behind the centre console.

Look at the excellent answer by Coolcat here: click

75c 2nd January 2019 13:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sjonnie (Post 2683137)
Firstly, ask Sean about the firmware. He has firmware for most units he sold/sells. He is indeed a good guy that supported the units well on this forum in the time that I bought my NavAll 1.

He's such a good guy that he took hundreds of pounds off me over a year ago for a premium bumper, never delivered it and now actively ignores me.

It disgusts me that people still recommend him on threads in this club.

I appreciate the club can't do anything about the hundreds of buyers our Canadian friend *forgot* to send items to but they sure as hell can stop people sending more money his way

Sjonnie 2nd January 2019 14:35

Woa! Relax! :eek:

I did not have a bad experience with "the guy" when I bought my NavAll from him. On the contrary! I have received great support from him (and the other member over here). I am sorry you have lost money to him.

And I only suggested to ask "the guy" for the firmware of his device. And I did that some time ago so why the "sudden" outrage? :confused:

Would not it be a good idea to start 2019 with a slightly more friendly way of communicating to fellow forum members?

Cortinadave 14th January 2019 21:40

My comet is now out of my car. Bottom right of the screen has stopped responding. Its odd because it works on the radio app, but not on the homescreen. I tried a factory reset with no joy and now i cant reinstall my apps as a result.

Add to that the "works when it feels like it" CD player and the non functioning bluetooth Ive given up on it. Its just over a year old. Waste of money.

YorksMG2013 3rd April 2019 18:42

Comet button colours

Hi All

Does anyone know if it is possible to change control/button backlight colour on the Comet unit? Currently they are blue and would like to change to red

Thanks

Andrew

Raspberrycai 5th April 2019 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by YorksMG2013 (Post 2724235)
Hi All

Does anyone know if it is possible to change control/button backlight colour on the Comet unit? Currently they are blue and would like to change to red

Thanks

Andrew

The head unit is android based, if I'm right. If so, if they can be changed, downloading the app "light manager" could help. It's pretty simple to use. Otherwise they may just be red LED's that can't be changed.