The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Sunroof stuck!! (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=18113)

outbound 23rd March 2008 16:20

Sunroof stuck!!

Hi everyone,
Got a problem with the sunroof. I came home from work
early this morning and all the rain of the day had frozen on the car.
The windows were stuck, not a problem as I didn.t want them open anyway.
While I was waiting for the windscreen to defrost I went to switch the interior
lights on, but I accidently touched the sunroof switch. the sunroof started
to open but got stuck as it was frozen. I have tried today to get it going again but it will not move. I have checked the fuse but still no joy.
Any idea's please.
Thanks, Jeff

Simon 23rd March 2008 16:38

Firstly if everything has defrosted sufficiently then try again (if you haven't already done so). Replace fuse as a matter of course just in case it has blown and you can't tell (again, assuming you haven't already done so). Next could be motors themselves have become damaged or the gearing itself may have been jarred out of place. Those would be my first thoughts but seeing as I don't have a sunroof I'm not speaking from experience. If no joy with my ideas then wait until someone posts who may have had a similar problem.

advent0761 23rd March 2008 17:59

is the sunroof stuck open?

trebor 23rd March 2008 18:11

mine stuck but not in the same circumstances as my " roof liner slidy bit " got jammed.

However because the motor was trying to open the roof and couldnt it burnt the motor out so i had to have a new motor in mine.

This happened on the day i picked the car up from the garage so it was done at their expense fortunately.

Hope you have better news than i did !

outbound 23rd March 2008 21:08

Hi and thanks everone,
The temperture did go up today to about 5c. And still
no life. I have changed the fuse just in case. The sunroof has gone up and is slightly open. I have tried banging it but still no luck.
Regards,
Jeff

advent0761 23rd March 2008 21:27

looks like only option you have for the moment is closing it manually!
if you remove the interior light unit that the switch is mounted on you should find a small allen ken which you can use to wind the motor shut.you will see a hole for the allen key in the roof. that will at least get you watertight

outbound 23rd March 2008 21:44

Thanks Advent,
Thanks for the advice for getting it closed. I don't mean
to be a pain but how do I get in to the interior light area?
Thanks very much for your help.
Regards,
Jeff

Simon 23rd March 2008 22:49

To dismantle the interior light:
Use a small flat-bladed screwdriver or similar to prise out the transparent and black inner plastic 'lens' from the lights (there should be a little gap to get into along one of the edges). Once prised away you will see the interior light bulbs and some wiring. Now, I don't have a sunroof so I don't know if the allen key bolt is visible from this view but if it is not then don't fret as there are two screws that secure the framework to the roof. Unscrew these and pull the framework away - careful not to pull any wires though as you do. This is as far as the light cluster comes apart so by now you ought to see the allen key bolt as described by advent.

outbound 23rd March 2008 22:54

Thank you very much, Simon.
regards, Jeff

trebor 24th March 2008 08:36

Once you have the interior light dismantled you will also see where the sunroof motor is housed just in case you need one - these are not difficult ro remove so maybe you could take out and have it tested ?