The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Texaco N402 for JATCO unit (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=3024)

salop75 14th February 2007 14:31

Texaco N402 for JATCO unit

Hi,

I'm preparing to do an oil change in my JATCO unit. How-To guide suggests using Texaco N402 oil but the closest i can get is an ATF that my local Land Rover dealer uses. Will ATF be ok to use?

John

GreyGhost 14th February 2007 20:56

Please read Crofts comprehensive missive on the subject of JATCO transmission fluids.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...5&postcount=34

davehockley 14th February 2007 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by salop75 (Post 31470)
Hi,

I'm preparing to do an oil change in my JATCO unit. How-To guide suggests using Texaco N402 oil but the closest i can get is an ATF that my local Land Rover dealer uses. Will ATF be ok to use?

John

I believe it's extremely important to use the right type of oil. My transmission hadn't been changing down very well at times ever since I bought the car, so I had the fluid changed for the correct type a week ago and it feels like a new box, it just takes a slight nudge on the throttle and it changes down straight away. I think somebody must have put the wrong fluid in it previously, because there's no other explanation.
I probably should have taken the car back to SMC's in High Wycombe where I bought it, but I wasn't absolutely sure that there was a problem with it until I read the reports on here of how other peoples transmissions behave.
The company that changed the fluid said that they have to stock countless different types of transmission fluid because it's very important to use the right one! :lol:

salop75 21st February 2007 15:59

I went to Furrows in Shrewsbury today to get the Mg/Xpower N402 equivelant, I'm finding it very difficult to find real Texaco N402.

They proudly presented me with, MTF 94. :( I explained "its a rover 75 2.5L Auto, AUTO!!!!", "This is what we put in them"

I came away emtpy handed.

Anyone know of somewhere i can order Texaco N402? or is the Land Rover equivelant (ATF something or other) safe to use?

John

Raistlin 21st February 2007 16:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by salop75 (Post 33555)
I went to Furrows in Shrewsbury today to get the Mg/Xpower N402 equivelant, I'm finding it very difficult to find real Texaco N402.

They proudly presented me with, MTF 94. :( I explained "its a rover 75 2.5L Auto, AUTO!!!!", "This is what we put in them"

Anyone know of somewhere i can order Texaco N402? or is the Land Rover equivelant (ATF something or other) safe to use?

John

Priorslee Motor Spares in Telford.

They know exactly what to supply for the Jatco box and it works out at £22 for 5 litres as far as I can remember.

GreyGhost 21st February 2007 16:36

If you are still having trouble, the Freelander uses the same JATCO box and the fluid can be purchased at any land Rover Dealer Part No. LNR402

salop75 21st February 2007 16:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey Ghost (Post 33572)
If you are still having trouble, the Freelander uses the same JATCO box and the fluid can be purchased at any land Rover Dealer Part No. LNR402

I did try the local land rover dealer but they claimed not to know any part by that number :( so I'm lookign for alternative supplies at the moment. Left a message with Texaco/Havoline customer services, hopefully they will ring back with a source for N402.

John

Raistlin 21st February 2007 16:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by salop75 (Post 33573)
I did try the local land rover dealer but they claimed not to know any part by that number :( so I'm lookign for alternative supplies at the moment. Left a message with Texaco/Havoline customer services, hopefully they will ring back with a source for N402.

John

John - when I was looking, my local landie dealer wanted £49 plus VAT for 5 litres :(

Surely Priorslee Motor spares isn't too far from you?

salop75 21st February 2007 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by raistlin295 (Post 33574)
John - when I was looking, my local landie dealer wanted £49 plus VAT for 5 litres :(

Surely Priorslee Motor spares isn't too far from you?

Not to far at all. But i'm lazy i wonder if they deliver :)

I'll give them a ring tomorrow, i can pop down there on Friday.

(I really hope the Ford dealer don't use MTF94 in autoboxes)

Cheers for the tip.

John

Raistlin 21st February 2007 18:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by salop75 (Post 33611)
Not to far at all. But i'm lazy i wonder if they deliver :)

I'll give them a ring tomorrow, i can pop down there on Friday.

(I really hope the Ford dealer don't use MTF94 in autoboxes)

Cheers for the tip.

John

Actually John - they are a wholesale motor factors so they might well drop some off to you.

crofts 22nd February 2007 01:06

ATFluid

Quote:

Originally Posted by salop75 (Post 33555)

John

Hi John. There is no equivalent to N402. Don't know who makes MTF 94 but if it is Castrol they replied to me that they do not make a fluid suitable for the Jatco box, period.
The Rover part No. is VYK 00040 and was £20.70 + VAT
from Xpart. (they were out of stock a while back but I know this was corrected) As GG has stated, the Land Rover part No. is LNR 402.
By the way, both Xpart and Land Rover probably do stock other fluids as not all models of either make exclusively used Jatco boxes.
A number of Japanese cars also have Jatco boxes but unless you know the part Nos. I doubt the fairies behind the spares counters will know of Texaco N402

salop75 24th February 2007 15:05

Priorslee weren't as helpfull as i had hoped, claiming not to know anything about Texaco N402. So i contacted Texaco UK (Chevron), a helpfull bloke called Andy explained that nobody calls the oil N402, its known as ATF 402 and is supplied to suppliers in minimum batches of 20 litres. He is going to send me a list of UK suppliers and further information about the oil for the Club.

ATF 402 information here:

http://vamotors.lv/saits/eng/226/ATF%20402.html

I hadn't made the link betweem N402 and ATF 402 prior to the conversation with the chap from Texaco.

John

GreyGhost 24th February 2007 15:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by salop75 (Post 34321)
Priorslee weren't as helpfull as i had hoped, claiming not to know anything about Texaco N402. So i contacted Texaco UK (Chevron), a helpfull bloke called Andy explained that nobody calls the oil N402, its known as ATF 402 and is supplied to suppliers in minimum batches of 20 litres. He is going to send me a list of UK suppliers and further information about the oil for the Club.

ATF 402 information here:

http://vamotors.lv/saits/eng/226/ATF%20402.html

I hadn't made the link betweem N402 and AFT 402 prior to the conversation with the chap from Texaco.

John

Absolutely excellent detective work John. A thank you from all the Auto 75 and ZT owners is in order.

Raistlin 24th February 2007 17:15

I guess it's who you speak to in Priorslee Motor Spares John :(

However, I agree the chap spoke of "402", not N402

salop75 24th February 2007 17:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by raistlin295 (Post 34369)
I guess it's who you speak to in Priorslee Motor Spares John :(

However, I agree the chap spoke of "402", not N402

Raistlin, I agree, and now i know exactly what i need to ask for i might have more success.

John

GreyGhost 24th February 2007 17:32

Keep us posted on this one please John, I can't find a reference to ATF 402 on Texaco site or googling.

GreyGhost 26th February 2007 16:50

Moved Post

I have move Johns, Salop75 post containing information regarding ATF 402 and MTF 94 into the How To forum for storage and safe keeping. Data sheets are available in that post.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ead.php?t=3433

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salop75
Hi,

The chap at Texaco got back to me with further information:

Distributor contact details:

http://www.texaco-online.co.uk/ <http://www.texaco-online.co.uk/>

North East : James D. Johnson : 0191 5670002

Central and North West : Bates and Hunt Petroleum : 01743 718111

South West : OJ Williams : 01271 860953

South East : Team Flitwick : 01442 430402

Texco Customer Services : 01793 555702.

He also provided data sheets on ATF 402 and the manual gearbox oil MTF 94(hopefully attached)

I wonder, could we incorporate this information and the PDF data into the the automatic and manual gearbox oil change club data sheets? We have verbal permission to do so and i suggested that if we did I would get back in contact to allow Texaco final approval, out of courtesy.

JohnDotCom 27th February 2007 14:08

What a long Drawn out saga which does make you wonder what Garages are putting in these Boxes on 60K service. Mine should be done now but I think Im going to do it myself instead, to make sure correct Grade oil goes in once I source it.
Thanks Holmes for all the Work!!!

salop75 27th February 2007 14:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnDotCom (Post 35194)
What a long Drawn out saga which does make you wonder what Garages are putting in these Boxes on 60K service. Mine should be done now but I think Im going to do it myself instead, to make sure correct Grade oil goes in once I source it.
Thanks Holmes for all the Work!!!

It does make you wonder what garages use. My local ford dealer reckons MTF94 goes in Rover 75 autoboxes. Wem Motors stuck Gul2805 oil in :( so its being replaced ASAP.

John

crofts 27th February 2007 23:01

Atf

Quote:

Originally Posted by salop75 (Post 35195)
It does make you wonder what garages use. My local ford dealer reckons MTF94 goes in Rover 75 autoboxes. Wem Motors stuck Gul2805 oil in :( so its being replaced ASAP.

John

Thank God MTF94 didn't go in. That's an oil, not a fluid and as you see above is for the manual box. :eek:
I am worried about Gul2805 as I don't know what it is and have never heard it mentioned. As you will see from my explanation, at each change you can only get about 2/3 rds out (+-4.5 litres) so some will remain with the 1/3 left in the oilways. http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ons/icon13.gif
Thumbs down

JohnDotCom 27th February 2007 23:11

Its as I said elsewhere Crofts, these people we entrust our Pride & Joy to stick anything in not realising there is only one fluid to put in, no checking done by many garages. How do you know its done properly when they don't know themselves?

madone 28th February 2007 12:15

Been reading this post with interest as I had my auto box oil changed last Aug. at an ex Rover dealer I have used for years. Just checked my invoice and the part no. for the gear oil is DEP52005 £21.25. I have just called the service guy I know and asked him what came up with part no. VYK 00040 and he said gear oil. I asked why is the other part no. showing on my invoice? He said the no.'s may have changed. I mentioned this site to him again and what you guys are telling me especially about Texaco and give him credit he knew about it. I stated I want the correct fluid in as you guys say it may blow up :bowdown: I am calling him back after 2 today so he can do some checking.

madone 28th February 2007 13:49

Called back and basically he said I have the correct fluid but quoted VYK00050 part no. which is a 25 litre drum of oil. He said the oil is spec. JF403E. I have googled this and it throws up American transmission parts:D Not convinced now so have called the local Xpart dealer (only recently started) and she quoted me they use bog standard Castrol:SHOCKED: I put her right on a couple of things but really worried that an Xpart service garage did not know either.

GreyGhost 28th February 2007 14:21

This really doesn't instill much confidence in this particular piece of information being correctly disseminated to Xpart dealers.
I wonder just how many JATCO boxes fail due to incorrect fluid replacement rather than wear and tear. Bearing in mind what we hear is allegedly stated by some repairers "they all do that".

salop75 28th February 2007 14:28

Well i managed to get my 'ATF 402' :) from Shukers in Shrewsbury, they were a helpfull lot and knew of the lubricant, asking immediately, was it for a Jatco?

Cost me 41ukp inlcuding VAT. I took a clean 5litre container and they filled it up from there drum out the back, nice runny red oil, looks a lot like Vimto.

I'll be glad to have 2/3rds of the Gul oil out of the autobox. I plan more frequent autobox oil changes.

Note: ATF 402 is Red, if the garage you go to has oil which is a different colour then it is NOT ATF 402.

John

GreyGhost 28th February 2007 14:34

Well done John.
Hopefully once you have the correct fluid installed you get many, many years of trouble free motoring from your JATCO box.
Thanks indeed for passing on all the information you have gathered.

JohnDotCom 28th February 2007 14:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey Ghost (Post 35397)
This really doesn't instill much confidence in this particular piece of information being correctly disseminated to Xpart dealers.
I wonder just how many JATCO boxes fail due to incorrect fluid replacement rather than wear and tear. Bearing in mind what we hear is allegedly stated by some repairers "they all do that".

This is what I was saying MM I have now phoned 10 XPart Auto Service Centres and not One new the correct oil to put in these Boxes! This is disgusting and could cause a premature failure of Box. Are XPart Dealers that stupid? Most put in Castrol or whatever they have has also been stated, when told about correct oil they say never heard of that one even though its on there listings or it don't matter they are all the Same. A Firmly worded letter is now on the way to them and will be trying to find the head of XPart services re same!
All faith in the Garages has now been lost and would not recommend any oneto take their Car to these already phoned.
(Can they be listed with replies on Forum?)

GreyGhost 28th February 2007 14:41

Best not to list them JDC but I agree with the sentiment.
Mike has some contacts at Xpart that are pretty high up in the organisation so I think we shall ask him to have a speak. That is if hasn't already, he has a habit of doing all sorts of stuff in the background. :)

Keith 28th February 2007 14:42

Strewth John this seems to have turned into a marathon!

Red fluid! are you sure they haven't sold you some Red Diesel :)

Do you have a couple of axle stands?
I only have two myself and I guess the car needs to be level for this

JohnDotCom 28th February 2007 14:44

Thanks for advice MM.
It does Beggar beyond believe though does it not?

salop75 28th February 2007 15:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith (Post 35406)
Strewth John this seems to have turned into a marathon!

Red fluid! are you sure they haven't sold you some Red Diesel :)

Do you have a couple of axle stands?
I only have two myself and I guess the car needs to be level for this

Axle stands no, but the outlaws have some ramps i could bring, they may have axle stands too, i will check.

John

madone 28th February 2007 15:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnDotCom (Post 35408)
It does Beggar beyond believe though does it not?

What other parts of the car they can prematurely retire through ignorance? Did these Xpart sevice centres just appear to provide an outlet for sales I wonder?

JohnDotCom 28th February 2007 15:36

Two are very well known with a "Good Reputation"
Perhaps its just the AutoBox Oil issue, but it is a major one and makes you wonder about the other service items replaced now!
Have stopped phoning around with the Statement from Grey Ghost and wait to hear hopefully a Reply from XPart.

Keith 28th February 2007 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by salop75 (Post 35415)
Axle stands no, but the outlaws have some ramps i could bring, they may have axle stands too, i will check.

John

Ok well bring what you think you need, I can provide somewhere dry, T4, trolley jack, a couple of stands, some big bits of wood and coffee etc!

I will probably have to leave you to get on with it whilst I get on with playing hunt the stone chip on the Black car now that my paint from Paints 4U has arrived

Ratdogfink 28th February 2007 16:16

Hi
Copied from

http://www.landroverwinkel.nl/doc/La...%20oiltype.pdf

7) Texaco N402 / Unipart GUL 1805

Implies that Unipart GUL 1805 is the same stuff.
Translate from the web!!!

Moonstone 28th February 2007 19:40

2 Attachment(s)
The labels have been quoted before, but members might like to see what all the discussion is about.

I'm tempted to post this in the "For sale" forum.:)

The parts man claimed he'd never been asked for the drain plug washer (i.e. he didn't have it in stock and it's not worth his while ordering). Is the old one likely to be usable (if it doesn't break on removal)? Is there anything special about it?

The parts diagram didn't show the level plug sealing washer mentioned in the TID - just a "magnetic plug".

madone 28th February 2007 19:50

Cheers Moonstone. At least I know where the JF403E comes from. I received a call from my local Xpart dealer earlier who said VYK00040 was a 5 lt container costing £20-70 +vat but no sign of Texaco. Is this the stuff we have been chasing about and is it ok?

crofts 28th February 2007 23:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by madone (Post 35544)
Cheers Moonstone. At least I know where the JF403E comes from. I received a call from my local Xpart dealer earlier who said VYK00040 was a 5 lt container costing £20-70 +vat but no sign of Texaco. Is this the stuff we have been chasing about and is it ok?

Hi madone. If I remember correctly JF403E is mentioned on the label and refers to the Jatco box model No.
The label is an Xpart one, or generic (not Texaco) and they probably, or the Texaco distributor, decant into 5 litre. ( thanks moonstone for the photos, only seen after typing this)
What you mention above (VYK00040) is positively the correct fluid as I have now explained many times.
Just to confirm, after a member said his Xpart dealer did not have it, I phoned my Xpart dealer today ( Marshalls Cambridge Tel :- 01223 377111.)
There is no shortage, it was in stock, the part No has not changed (VYK00040) and the price (after some 2 years) is still £20.70 for 5 litres.
5 litres is more than enough for a fluid change (takes around 4.5 litres). Very carefully follow the proceedure
particularly the running up to full operating temperature after the first fill before removing the level Plug and topping up, if necessary, till fluid runs out.
Unlike some other makes of auto box, the Jatco box does not have a filter.

Matt brighton 2nd March 2007 20:16

Hi,

I got the 5ltrs of the correct fluid for £20.70 from the former MG/Rover dealership in Sussex - Caffyns.

It's in the red coloured container with the VYK000(?) no mentioned above.

I'm sure my box changes smoother and with a slightly altered (better) shift up/down point thru the speed range - (this may be a placebo effect)

My "tip" is do good preparation in getting the small wnough hose/funnel arrangement to refill. It's a reaqlly small filler hole.

And BTW the parts counter guy confirmed that few regional dealerships ever bothered to order new sump plug gaskets as the all would have gone through him to order,

Good luck with your oil change

Matt - brighton

JohnDotCom 2nd March 2007 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt brighton (Post 36221)
Hi,

And BTW the parts counter guy confirmed that few regional dealerships ever bothered to order new sump plug gaskets as the all would have gone through him to order,

Matt - brighton

Just shows that the Service Standard is Very Poor, and they don't care about your car. It States quiet clearly to replace Sump Washer with a new one every time.

crofts 3rd March 2007 02:41

Atf/n 402

Quote:

Originally Posted by salop75 (Post 35399)
Well i managed to get my 'ATF 402' :) from Shukers in Shrewsbury, they were a helpfull lot and knew of the lubricant, asking immediately, was it for a Jatco?

Cost me 41ukp inlcuding VAT. I took a clean 5litre container and they filled it up from there drum out the back, nice runny red oil, looks a lot like Vimto.

I'll be glad to have 2/3rds of the Gul oil out of the autobox. I plan more frequent autobox oil changes.

Note: ATF 402 is Red, if the garage you go to has oil which is a different colour then it is NOT ATF 402.

John

Hi salop. The price at Xpart is £20.70 / 5 litre+VAT. I wonder if £41 is the wholesale price for the 20 litre TO Xpart ? ? Something funny there ! :(
Most, if not all ATF's for auto boxes that I have bought in the past (my XJ6, BMW 7series, Vectra etc.) and most power steering fluids, many of which are dual purpose) are all red in colour so not a fail safe indication of N402.

direstraits 3rd March 2007 07:01

Autobox fluid.

Re all the posts about correct fluid for the Jatco autoboxes. In another world and another the place the question about correct fluid reared its ugly head.
It transpired that the seals being used were the governing factor for the oil.
Dextron and nil Dextron was the answer.
If the wrong fluid is used then the seals (o-rings) would be degraded, resulting in slight leakage from the units inside the box.
The reason for the fluid being retained in the box is I believe because the convertor holds back the fluid when the box is drained but when in use there is an interchange between the fluid in the box and the convertor.
The correct grade of fluid for hydraulics is a constant source of scratching of heads in most systems and has been the cause of many expensive failures in the marine industry that carries you on holiday across the channel.

------The Captain his officers and crew are sorry that you have been delayed by a technical problem.

Gavin put the wrong fluid in the steering gear.

Believe me I was there!!!!!!

Mike 13th March 2007 18:57

update

I spoke to XPart on this issue and they have come back saying that they will be issuing a reminder about the correct JATCO autobox fluid to the XPart Centres.

Thanks to all for the feedback :)

Mike

JohnDotCom 13th March 2007 19:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike (Post 39506)
I spoke to XPart on this issue and they have come back saying that they will be issuing a reminder about the correct JATCO autobox fluid to the XPart Centres.

Thanks to all for the feedback :)

Mike

Well Done Mike. Thanks.

GreyGhost 13th March 2007 19:50

Cheers Mike, thanks for doing that, it was all getting a bit silly. :)

GreyGhost 15th December 2008 10:09

Update on Auto transmission fluid for JATCO JF506E 5 speed box.

N 402, ATF 402, LNR 402, are no longer supplied by any dealers.

Part Number VYK 000040 is now JF403E Auto Transmission Fluid and is designated specifically for:-
JF403E 4 speed JATCO box and JF506E 5 speed box as fitted to all Rover 75 and MGZT Automatics.

JohnDotCom 15th December 2008 10:15

Thanks for update and clarification GG.

crofts 16th December 2008 02:53

ATF for Jatco Boxes

If you have not read all the posts here it may be relevant to repeat GG / John's of 28th Feb. 2007.
It's why I recommend you buy the fluid yourself even when using an auto transmission specialist. (even Ashcroft told me they use Castrol.........not correct)
If all else fails locally the fluid is usually freely available from Rimmers Tel:- 01522 563344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost View Post
This is what I was saying MM I have now phoned 10 XPart Auto Service Centres and not One new the correct oil to put in these Boxes! This is disgusting and could cause a premature failure of Box. Are XPart Dealers that stupid? Most put in Castrol or whatever they have has also been stated, when told about correct oil they say never heard of that one even though its on there listings or it don't matter they are all the Same. A Firmly worded letter is now on the way to them and will be trying to find the head of XPart services re same!
All faith in the Garages has now been lost and would not recommend any oneto take their Car to these already phoned.
(Can they be listed with replies on Forum?)

Robin13 25th March 2012 10:16

Texaco 402

Hi< any one knows where I can get Texaco N402 for my automatic transmission. I live in Dun Laoghaire /Ireland /. Can I use any substitute? Appreciate any feeback.
Robin

SD1too 25th March 2012 10:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin13 (Post 959528)
any one know where I can get Texaco N402 for my automatic transmission. I live in Dun Laoghaire /Ireland /. Can I use any substitute? Appreciate any feedback.

Robin,

Scroll up a bit and the answer to your question is in post no. 46: VYK 000 040. Try Rimmer Brothers, Land Rover dealers (add 'L' suffix to part number) or even Texaco filling stations (Texamatic 7045E).

Simon.

RN3212 25th March 2012 11:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin13 (Post 959528)
Hi< any one knows where I can get Texaco N402 for my automatic transmission. I live in Dun Laoghaire /Ireland /. Can I use any substitute? Appreciate any feeback.
Robin

Try Toppings in Enniskillen.I got some there a while back and they send by Courier to the South.Phone No 00442866323475