The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   2003 2.5V6 Rover 75 Towbar Fitting (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=79534)

tickford 1st March 2011 18:43

2003 2.5V6 Rover 75 Towbar Fitting

I am about to have a towbar fitted, with a single 7 pin electrical connection . The manufacturer's handbook implies that only a 'dedicated' wiring loom should be fitted; otherwise this may damage the car's systems.

I have spoken to three firms that fit towbars and they say that a 'universal' wiring loom, with a bypass relay, is sufficient, and will not damage the car's electrical systems; the only drawback being that, for example, the reversing sensors will not be disabled when towing.

I would be pleased to hear from anyone who has been through this problem. Thank You. Tickford

Dragrad 1st March 2011 22:18

Thread moved to this forum as it may prove a more fertile ground in responses.;) Re-direct left in old.

The sensors not being disabled is not a problem, as it only beeps in reverse. :}

Had my tow-bar fitted with an after-market loom etc. No problems except the garage did not fit the back bumper properly leaving the sensor wire lying on the exhaust, where it burned away the insulation and caused the sensors to fail:(

tickford 5th March 2011 14:55

Towbar Electrics

Hello Andrew

Thak you for replying to my concerns about towbar electrics.I have also now read some earlier threads on the subject; they mention that universal wiring needs a 'can-bus friendly' relay. Is that what towbar fitters are calling a bypass relay ?

Also I have seen your response re stuck bonnets - mine has!

As you are a Moderator, can you please send me a private message on how to get it open, 'reverse the splitter', and cure the problem for the future.

Thank you very much. tickford

tickford 5th March 2011 15:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by tickford (Post 684876)
Hello Andrew

Thak you for replying to my concerns about towbar electrics.I have also now read some earlier threads on the subject; they mention that universal wiring needs a 'can-bus friendly' relay. Is that what towbar fitters are calling a bypass relay ?

Also I have seen your response re stuck bonnets - mine has!

As you are a Moderator, can you please send me a private message on how to get it open, 'reverse the splitter', and cure the problem for the future.

Thank you very much. tickford

Thanks for your quick response re towbar electrics. You will see that I'm new to how this Forum works.Is a 'can-bus friendly' relay, what towbar fitters call a 'by pass' relay?
Also, as you are a Moderator, can you send me a private message about how to open my stuck bonnet, and how to avoid a repeat,please.
Thank you very much . tickford

8511swann 5th March 2011 15:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by tickford (Post 684883)
Thanks for your quick response re towbar electrics. You will see that I'm new to how this Forum works.Is a 'can-bus friendly' relay, what towbar fitters call a 'by pass' relay?
Also, as you are a Moderator, can you send me a private message about how to open my stuck bonnet, and how to avoid a repeat,please.
Thank you very much . tickford

A bypass relay is a generic piece of kit that an engineer would fit to your car to get the towbar electrics working without having any damaging effects.
The Can-Bus setup is specific to your car, and a specific plug in type setup is over £100 I believe..........at least I think so!!:}

Yours can be done with a normal off the shelf bypass relay. I don't know how though, as although I fitted my own bar, I paid someone to do th electrics!.

Swanny

MisterTomez 5th March 2011 16:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragrad (Post 682880)
Thread moved to this forum as it may prove a more fertile ground in responses.;) Re-direct left in old.

The sensors not being disabled is not a problem, as it only beeps in reverse. :}

Had my tow-bar fitted with an after-market loom etc. No problems except the garage did not fit the back bumper properly leaving the sensor wire lying on the exhaust, where it burned away the insulation and caused the sensors to fail:(

I think he meant when reversing it'll be an extremely irritating constant beep (due to seeing the trailer as a very close object) as they won't turn off.

HarryM1BYT 5th March 2011 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8511swann (Post 684914)
A bypass relay is a generic piece of kit that an engineer would fit to your car to get the towbar electrics working without having any damaging effects.
The Can-Bus setup is specific to your car, and a specific plug in type setup is over £100 I believe..........at least I think so!!:}

Yours can be done with a normal off the shelf bypass relay. I don't know how though, as although I fitted my own bar, I paid someone to do th electrics!.

Swanny

Canbus setup is around £130 on top. There is no reason why the bypass relay setup should not work fine, apart from it will stop/ shut off the reverse sounder and it will also not notice a lamp failure on the trailer.

Dragrad 6th March 2011 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterTomez (Post 684924)
I think he meant when reversing it'll be an extremely irritating constant beep (due to seeing the trailer as a very close object) as they won't turn off.

No constant beep with mine unless I jack-knife it ;)