The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   I.C.E. Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Decent replacement swap-in speakers? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=15883)

keiron99 23rd August 2008 09:31

Sorry to be a pain, can anyone tell me where the MDF is screwed into exactly? I have my speakers, alas not the car (it's in the repair shop...) but I'm trying to do as much prep work as I can. I'll never be able to find the time to do the whole job in one hit anyway.

Is the MDF construction a bit like a hollow cylinder or tube then?

Are there perhaps some metal "legs" that you screw the MDF into? Without having a dismantled door in front of me, I just can't picture it.

Given that the total thickness of the MDF pieces is 1 3/4", do you need really long screws? I'm planning on a trip to Wickes (will also pick up some sound deadening stuff along with the MDF) so could you please tell me what type of screws to get? Many thanks.

shakennstirred 23rd August 2008 12:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayor (Post 222068)
Just cut the foam out behind the speaker area -about 4" diameter so that the doors act as cabinets. The original plastic supports don't do much for acoustics. The MDF rings will need to be screwed into the door will self tapping screws

i`d leave the foam in
most good hi-fi speakers have a filling, there not an empty box

keiron99 23rd August 2008 13:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by shakennstirred (Post 225147)
i`d leave the foam in
most good hi-fi speakers have a filling, there not an empty box

This had occurred to me too (again, without examining the dismantled doors myself). Surely it would make sense, as well as lining with a deadening material (bituminous flashing tape etc) , to actually stuff the remaining space with an "acoustic" wadding?

shakennstirred 23rd August 2008 21:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by keiron99 (Post 225150)
This had occurred to me too (again, without examining the dismantled doors myself). Surely it would make sense, as well as lining with a deadening material (bituminous flashing tape etc) , to actually stuff the remaining space with an "acoustic" wadding?

you cant fill all the space with acoustic wadding, as the window drops down past the back of the speakers

NOCTURNAL 24th August 2008 10:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by keiron99 (Post 225127)
Given that the total thickness of the MDF pieces is 1 3/4", do you need really long screws? I'm planning on a trip to Wickes (will also pick up some sound deadening stuff along with the MDF) so could you please tell me what type of screws to get? Many thanks.

Not trying to teach you to suck eggs as it were, but the total as I read it is 1x 1/4" TOTAL for the fronts, as its 1x 3/4" ring all around, and 1x 1/2" additional ring for each of the fronts..
appologies if that was just a missprint :)

Nick.

keiron99 24th August 2008 11:51

Oh yes, got my sums wrong! I think you may have misstyped too, Nocturnal. I think the total thickness of the fronts is one and a quarter inches.

Thanks for bringing to my attention though!

NOCTURNAL 24th August 2008 12:28

rofl.. I did indeed ;)
when i tried to submit the thread the site went wobbly and i never got to see the thread till I just re-read it and thought what a muppet I've done the same thing hehe.. I had typed 1 1/4" but when i added the space between the 1's I deleted one of them :oh you:

no worries... as long as youre set :)

I will eventually get around to upgrading my speakers so allways look in on these threads :)

keiron99 24th August 2008 13:21

By the way, the MDF rings, which I must say I know I'm going to have trouble cutting, are readily available on ebay for reasonable sums, see here.