The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Brake pads light (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=262934)

Rsnail 2nd March 2017 15:54

Brake pads light

Yesterday after tightening my throttle cable a bit to get a better throttle response, I also sprayed with WD40 the part there the cable connects to the throttle body so that the cable moves a little more freely, and after turning the car on and taking it for a ride to see the throttle response, the brake pads light on the ipk came on, now I don't know that what I have done would have something to do with the brake pads, but waiting for your thoughts. :shrug:

T-Cut 2nd March 2017 20:22

I'd say it's most likely a coincidence. The brake wear sensor typically pops its message several thousand miles before the pads actually give up. Worth a physical check though, because not necessarily all the pads wear at the rate suggested by the front and rear sensors.

TC

Rsnail 6th March 2017 07:18

Yesterday I took out the pads for a lookover and guess what, all looking like barely used, and for sure not worn such in a way that the brake lights should be going on because of that, anyone thinking what else could it be? Maybe a sensor is "worn" or a cable is not making good contact, anything else than that I couldn't imagine. :shrug:

Heddy 6th March 2017 07:31

As you say, probably a sensor fault. Check all the plugs for tightness, check that the little wrap around metal clip is on the sensor end, check for breaks in the wire with a tester if you have one.

kbonney88 6th March 2017 08:25

I too expect it will be a coincidence.. as I have never had the brake pad warning light come on for anything other than the pads or cable related. I assume that you checked both front and back pads/cables?

Kev

Rsnail 13th March 2017 15:35

Yes I have inspected both back and front pads and they look smooth and just barely barely worn, but anyways not that much that it would make the warning light pop on the screen, so that's why I'll check now the sensors too if they are good plugged and if the metal clips are in their place, but what else can I check regarding the sensors? And what about the cables, how do I test that though?

Mike Noc 14th March 2017 08:52

The sensors are pretty basic - a bare bit of metal that wears through to bring the light on.

So you just need to test for continuity on both sensors and the associated cables.

I made up a tester from the plug of an old worn out sensor - just soldered the connections together.

Plugging it in to each cable in turn quickly checks them out.

Rsnail 18th March 2017 07:06

I have a few questions about the brake system:

1. Is there a certain thickness of the pad at which the warning light comes on? And what thickness has a new pad?

2. How do I know if the pad is still usable even if the warning light came on?

3. Can I find out if the front ones or rear ones are worn by shorting the small tip of the sensor that goes into the pad with a paper clip?

COLVERT 18th March 2017 20:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rsnail (Post 2463160)
I have a few questions about the brake system:

1. Is there a certain thickness of the pad at which the warning light comes on? And what thickness has a new pad?

2. How do I know if the pad is still usable even if the warning light came on?

3. Can I find out if the front ones or rear ones are worn by shorting the small tip of the sensor that goes into the pad with a paper clip?

1/ Less than 1/8th of an inch.

2/ More than 1/8th of an inch.

3/ No.

SD1too 18th March 2017 21:07

Here's my version to add to Colvert's.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rsnail (Post 2463160)
Is there a certain thickness of the pad at which the warning light comes on?

Yes.
Quote:

And what thickness has a new pad?
I don't know, I have never measured one. What difference does it make?
Quote:

How do I know if the pad is still usable even if the warning light came on?
Take off the RH wheels and have a look. :duh:
Quote:

Can I find out if the front ones or rear ones are worn by shorting the small tip of the sensor that goes into the pad with a paper clip?
No.

Judging by your questions, your best course of action is to renew front and rear pads at the earliest opportunity.

Simon