The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Stuggling to change gear (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=166895)

stevecsy 8th December 2013 08:56

Stuggling to change gear

HI

over the last couple days i have found it increasingly difficult to change gear. I am running a ZTT Diesel. I am having to force the gear stick into position. The clutch pedal feels different from before, it is almost like there is nothing there for the first half of its travel but the bite point feels like it is in the same position.

I have looked through previous posts and i think that i may need to look at topping up the fluid in the master cylinder which i believe is located somewhere above the clutch pedal. I am really unsure though of how to do this and as my knowledge of cars is next to nothing i don' want to make the matter worse.

Is it an easy job to do this and really should i be looking to get someone i.e. a garage to look at this?. The Clutch and slave was changed about 6 months ago so hopefully it won't be anything related to that.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and if any one has a good guide for topping up the fluid could you point me in the right direction.

thanks
Steve

stevestrat 8th December 2013 09:10

The master cylinder is a masterpiece of design, a pig to get at! Under the dash at the drivers side there are two screws, one either side, remove them. Pull the lower dash away, it's held in with spring clips and let the pedal box cover drop down. Get a torch, stick your head under the dash and you should be able to see the master cylinder and reservoir at the top of the clutch pedal. This next bit can be painful! Get your hand up between the clutch pedal and the centre consul, unscrew the cap on the reservoir. Remove the cap and seal (like a rubber diaphragm), best way to check the level is stick your finger in. If you need to add fluid the best way is a syringe and rubber tubing.

After adding fluid you may get away with pumping the clutch pedal to restore the clutch operation. If not you'll need to bleed it but I won't cover that unless it's needed, just complicate matters!

stevecsy 8th December 2013 09:13

hi

thanks for the quick response, how would i know if its low and how much do i put in, is there a full mark or something like that?

thanks
Steve

3pinplug 8th December 2013 09:21

Hi

You will need a small mirror (used wifes compact mirror on mine)and a torch so you can angle mirror and firstly see how much fluid is in the reservoir. On the inside of the reservoir is a lump that sticks out, believe that should be just covered, you cant fill it to the top otherwise when you put the rubber boot in it will all spill out, also the cap of the reservoir can be on there tight a "gentle tap with a flatbladed screwdriver whilst holding the reservoir managed to release mine but be careful when doing this as if you don't support it you could damage the housing etc. If it needs some fluid you will need a syringe and length of silicone hose, got mine a the local pet shop ?(syringe for giving animal medicine then took that to the aquatic section and got meter of tubing to fit syringe). Good luck hope its something simple.

Mark

bubs 9th December 2013 12:31

First check for signs of leakage around the master cylinder and from the bottom of the bell housing (there are small holes where the gearbox meets the engine block).
Hopefully as you said the slave was changed it will mean just the master needs doing.

stevecsy 9th December 2013 12:40

hi

haven't had chance to check yet as was working yesterday and today but all being well i will check in the morning. I'm prepared to lose some skin on fingers and to swear alot :icon_lol:

stevestrat 9th December 2013 13:14

You shouldn't lose any skin but the back of my left hand was tender for days after forcing it up between the clutch pedal and the tunnel!

bubs 9th December 2013 14:15

mine was the first time i did it, then i bent the end of the heater control arm up out of the way, stops the back of your hand scrapping against it.

stevecsy 13th December 2013 11:16

Just to let anyone interested know, i managed to top up the fluid this morning and now it changes gear lovely. The worst part was getting the cap back on.

Anyhow i can't be going through that ordeal every couple of weeks so i'm off up to Doncaster to see Andy who is going to put me a new master cylinder in :icon_lol:

thanks for all the help

Steve

doopydug 13th December 2013 17:52

My master cylinder looks like it has gone too - not even had the car a month :-(

Can see fluid leaking into the driver footwell where it comes through the bulkhead

How much does it cost to replace a cylinder and is it a difficult job?