The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Botch job or new engine?? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=265967)

chiron_myth 21st April 2017 17:30

Botch job or new engine??

R75 1.8T engine. Had a small crack in the back of the cylinder head. Found a new head on ebay and arranged for a local garage to fit it. The car was running sweet at the time other than a very slow coolant leak come from the back of the head. Sensible me thought best to get this replaced before it got worse. How wrong I was!!

Picked the car up yesterday and it was running fine (very smooth) until about 1 mile away when it started misfiring. After that, it decided to dump all of its coolant from the pipe leading to the bottom of the 2 piece behind the radiator. Took the car back and they have 'repaired' the coolant leak (still leaking - I'm going to take it back for them to sort that) and told me that the engine is running rough and needs replacing. They said that the new head is causing too much pressure in the bottom end and causing the fault (the cracked head released enough pressure to not cause any problems) - I don't know enough about the engine to believe this or not. Therefore really need a second opinion on whether they've done a botch job or I do genuinely need a new engine.

Saga Lout 21st April 2017 17:44

Sounds like a bodge.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiron_myth (Post 2480306)
R75 1.8T engine. Had a small crack in the back of the cylinder head. Found a new head on ebay and arranged for a local garage to fit it. The car was running sweet at the time other than a very slow coolant leak come from the back of the head. Sensible me thought best to get this replaced before it got worse. How wrong I was!!

Picked the car up yesterday and it was running fine (very smooth) until about 1 mile away when it started misfiring. After that, it decided to dump all of its coolant from the pipe leading to the bottom of the 2 piece behind the radiator. Took the car back and they have 'repaired' the coolant leak (still leaking - I'm going to take it back for them to sort that) and told me that the engine is running rough and needs replacing. They said that the new head is causing too much pressure in the bottom end and causing the fault (the cracked head released enough pressure to not cause any problems) - I don't know enough about the engine to believe this or not. Therefore really need a second opinion on whether they've done a botch job or I do genuinely need a new engine.

Anybody near enough to check this out? this sounds like bodgery to me in a big way. This is a new one in the excuse dictionary for the 1.8.

clf 21st April 2017 17:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiron_myth (Post 2480306)

new head causing too much pressure in the bottom end? If this is true then they didnt check breather pipes, or blocked a gallery? Basically did not fit it correctly or with due diligence ........... I am not sure if what they say could happen, but if it is possible, then it can only have come from their work surely :shrug: Any mechanic fitting a new head worth their salt, surely would have pressure tested it and checked it if it had been warped :mad:

chiron_myth 22nd April 2017 20:08

Bit of an update. I checked the engine over this morning and as soon as I opened the coolant cap, I was splashed with water (engine was cold) and could smell exhaust fumes. Therefore there is definitely exhaust gas getting into the coolant system somewhere, which is what is causing the excess pressure built up. If the coolant is getting into the ignition chamber through the same route, that would also explain the misfire.

I gave my garage a call and explained what I had found they're having the car back on Monday to sort it again.

I'm working on the principal that they can't botch it up more than they already have done.

marinabrian 22nd April 2017 20:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiron_myth (Post 2480870)
Bit of an update. I checked the engine over this morning and as soon as I opened the coolant cap, I was splashed with water (engine was cold) and could smell exhaust fumes. Therefore there is definitely exhaust gas getting into the coolant system somewhere, which is what is causing the excess pressure built up. If the coolant is getting into the ignition chamber through the same route, that would also explain the misfire.

I gave my garage a call and explained what I had found they're having the car back on Monday to sort it again.

I'm working on the principal that they can't botch it up more than they already have done.

Hmm, very very very suspect workmanship :(

The K series is extremely easy to work on, and TBH I like them out of all of the engine variants in these cars, but the explanation they've given you about the top end knocking out the bottom end is complete and other tosh ;)

Hope you get sorted soon

Brian :D

minimutly 23rd April 2017 12:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiron_myth (Post 2480870)

I think the y can, and more likely will. Some peole treat the little k as a tractor engine - it desrves better. That said, are you sure the head you bought was any good? They were taking a big risk fitting it blind, doesnt excuse their bullpoo excuse though...

chiron_myth 23rd April 2017 19:47

To be honest, I didn't inspect the head before it was fitted. I had trusted them enough to give it a sense check before I fitted it.

The one I bought was from here. I spoke to the seller and he seemed genuine and fairly knowledgeable.

I'm going to have a chat with the engineer when I drop it off again tomorrow (did they measure liner heights, which gasket did they use, did they sense-check the head before fitting it, etc...).

casperdog21 23rd April 2017 20:38

Its not hard to get these engines right a garage should have had the head skimmed. slight water leak at rear of head will be the inlet man gasket which would need replacing if water smells of exhaust gasses there's your pressure.
If after a couple of days you have pressure in the header tank then take it as read that it could also be leaking into the oilway pressurising the sump causing the back pressure they talk about

SD1too 23rd April 2017 21:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiron_myth (Post 2481431)
I'm going to have a chat with the engineer ..

Engineer? :duh: I don't think so John. ;)
Quote:

... when I drop it off again tomorrow (did they measure liner heights, which gasket did they use, did they sense-check the head before fitting it, etc...).
You're wasting your time. Don't let them loose on your car ever again. Write off the expense and get someone who knows what they're doing to repair your car. Gavin in Stratford upon Avon is within striking distance of Telford. That's a nice journey in a 75/ZT. What do you say Gavin?

Simon

GAVIN 24th April 2017 14:03

Mg rover repair

[QUOTE=SD1too;2481508]Engineer? :duh: I don't think so John. ;)

You're wasting your time. Don't let them loose on your car ever again. Write off the expense and get someone who knows what they're doing to repair your car. Gavin in Stratford upon Avon is within striking distance of Telford. That's a nice journey in a 75/ZT. What do you say Gavin?

Simon[/QUOTe

Please get in touch
Regards
Gavin