The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Manually turn engine (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=266187)

jr.ewing* 25th April 2017 08:38

Manually turn engine

How can I do this? Someone told me I can put in 4th or 5th gear and push the car, on an incline maybe? Is this correct, can I cause any damage?

mh007 25th April 2017 08:56

Not quite sure why you need to do this but:
If you put the car in 3rd, 4th or 5th on a flat surface with the handbrake off you can create a 'rocking' motion by pushing forward.
If you put more emphasis on 'rocking' the car in a forward motion, the engine will turn over in a clockwise rotation (the same way as when the engine is running).
You won't do any damage (provided you haven't loosened anything off within the timing belt area).
I wouldn't recommend doing this on an incline though..........you could lose the car!
Of course the best & safest way is to turn it over with a bar & socket on the crank pulley bolt.

jr.ewing* 25th April 2017 09:07

I want to view the date on my cambelt, I only have a 4 inch window with cover off so I want to roll it in to view. I'm sure using a bar and socket is easy but not having done that before I wouldn't know what to do

maxi_crawf 25th April 2017 09:41

What engine is it?

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

jr.ewing* 25th April 2017 09:53

V6 zt...........

mh007 25th April 2017 12:41

The KV6 has 3 belts in total (1 front, 2 rear) so ideally, you would need to see all 3.
For what it's worth:
If you're in any doubt or do not know when they were last changed, get them changed along with the tensioner, idler & water pump.
Unfortunately, the date on the belts won't tell you the condition of the above mentioned items.
I have repaired more KV6's with engine damage due to one of the above failing & therefore snapping the front belt rather than the belt actually snapping on its own.

maxi_crawf 25th April 2017 13:40

Would it not be easier to have a look at one of the rear belts?
Chances are they were all replaced at the same time.

jr.ewing* 25th April 2017 13:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxi_crawf (Post 2482389)

I really don't know

maxi_crawf 25th April 2017 14:03

The belt is shorter and I assume it's only 2 screws or bolt to take the cover off then you should be able to see almost all of the top half of the belt, even if you still have to move the belt round there is less chance of missing it through a 4" window, I was going to try mine today but the sleet has put me off😑

grivas 25th April 2017 14:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxi_crawf (Post 2482389)

Yep and the Pope is just announced he is turning Protestant.

Look, in the absence of documentation assume it hasn't been carried out, considering the consequences, get it done.:}