The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Mk1 Front for a 2005 Facelift: The Pitfalls (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=327638)

freelancer 13th April 2024 18:40

Mk1 Front for a 2005 Facelift: The Pitfalls

Having thought about this in the past and as I'll hopefully be getting some Platinum Gold paintwork done after the sill pieces I have from Tom Hobbs are welded in this summer, I've thought again (so as to make the vehicle as pleasing as can be) to source a 2nd hand Mk1 front bumper, have it sprayed and fit it.....

:bowdown:Mk 1 Front, Facelift Rear: is that such a no no? Obvs, purists will say so and I acknowledge that point but I am tempted.

What other pitfalls would I encounter if I went down that path? I can think already:

Change Facelift Xenon headlights for Mk 1 headlights
Also different style front side repeater and fog lights
Do all Mk 1 fronts have headlamp washers
Aything else?:shrug:

macafee2 13th April 2024 19:08

front fog lights I think are different.
Also the bonnet release is, I think different

macafee2

Ched 13th April 2024 19:36

The styling maybe different so get a bumper with the indicators and fogs already fitted.
Make sure the bumper infill is there as a mk2 is different.
As for the lights, a cheaper option is to try aliexpress for the lenses and swap them over, or get a scrap set of xenons with good lenses and swap them over, and no all mk1's dont have headlamp washers.

Thats all you need to changeover, and remember, your car your choice, dont worry what others think. :D

daveo138 13th April 2024 19:44

The bonnet safety catch release is different, but I don't see why the Mk2 catch won't work with a Mk1 bumper.

Mike Trident 14th April 2024 07:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ched (Post 2993614)
The styling maybe different so get a bumper with the indicators and fogs already fitted.
Make sure the bumper infill is there as a mk2 is different.
As for the lights, a cheaper option is to try aliexpress for the lenses and swap them over, or get a scrap set of xenons with good lenses and swap them over, and no all mk1's dont have headlamp washers.

Thats all you need to changeover, and remember, your car your choice, dont worry what others think. :D

I have considered doing a similar thing to my facelift many times.

I never knew that about swapping the lenses, the cost of new headlights has always put me off the swap!

freelancer 14th April 2024 11:13

thanks for all your comments...

:onot sure (but excuse my ignorance) that Aliexpress would have replacement lenses for headlights and would that not involve some form of tricky softening of adhesive and pulling away at plastic pieces...

suzublu 14th April 2024 14:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by freelancer (Post 2993641)
thanks for all your comments...

:onot sure (but excuse my ignorance) that Aliexpress would have replacement lenses for headlights and would that not involve some form of tricky softening of adhesive and pulling away at plastic pieces...

There was a thread on lens removal some years back which involved a cardboard box, heat gun, lots of tape and some mastick. 😎

Sent from my SM-A145R using Tapatalk

Lagetha 15th April 2024 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveo138 (Post 2993615)
The bonnet safety catch release is different, but I don't see why the Mk2 catch won't work with a Mk1 bumper.

The bonnet safety catch is the same location on Mk1 & Mk2, it's attached to the slam panel, not the bumper. I recently fitted a mesh grill, so had to trim off the bonnet release lever that used to protrude through the grill slats - I can release the bonnet using an index finger against the catch, once the main bonnet release has been operated. Your existing Mk2 release will make it easier - there's a lever to press. I didn't fit the Mk2 release I have - need to remove the slam panel to do it! :}

freelancer 21st April 2024 19:38

...Hoping still to source a Mk1 Front Bumper for my 2005 "facelift".

Grateful if you can advise on following..

My current Connie 2.5V6 (2005) has headlamp washers.

Questions:
Is it just some versions of the Mk1 that have headlamp washers on the front bumper?

If the front bumper does not have headlamp washers can they (easily) be retro-fitted?