The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   scratch head time (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=266100)

Timbo.P6 23rd April 2017 20:06

scratch head time

Would do with some help please
1.8 t keeps trying to cut out at about 2 grand juddering take foot of throttle and gently try again will move just not very fast gets worse the hotter she is
Any thoughts pretty please
got a sound of water,the water sounds behind more like a gurgling noise from the matrix, but do have a leak on t piece on top of radiator, no 2-3 cyl plugs are blackish 1-4 are fine also noticed today, when I switched the engine off I heard a banging noise which may be coming from the tank, possible petrol sloshing about maybe ,so im thinking change one coil pack,
boost solenoid has been replaced, Big russ has updated ecu, so thats ok,

Timbo.P6 24th April 2017 19:38

no ideas from anyone ! guess everyone else is puzzled :D

Madderz 24th April 2017 19:51

Does the 1.8t have an idle control valve?
It may be bunged up if it does :shrug:

cb750chris 25th April 2017 11:30

I would suspect you have a coil breaking down when it is hot, causing a misfire (So the bang could be unburnt fuel in the exhaust igniting)

berkshirelad 25th April 2017 14:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by cb750chris (Post 2482334)
I would suspect you have a coil breaking down when it is hot, causing a misfire (So the bang could be unburnt fuel in the exhaust igniting)

That won't do the CAT any good at all...

Timbo.P6 25th April 2017 17:54

gapped spark plugs to 0.7 as recommended on another post and now I get blue smoke, ooppsss

cb750chris 26th April 2017 11:38

What were the plug gaps before you adjusted them?
Do you still get the misfire above 2K revs?

SD1too 26th April 2017 12:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbo.P6 (Post 2481442)
... no 2-3 cyl plugs are blackish 1-4 are fine ...

cb750Chris: it's a wasted spark system on the 1.8 isn't it Chris? Does one coil feed 1 & 4 and the other 2 & 3?

Simon

BigRuss 26th April 2017 16:45

When I looked at the car after updating the ECU there were no recorded misfires on the live data, and no faults flagged.

The ECU was updated to get rid of a couple of usual faults caused by the original tune, the MGR updated tune gets rid of them. The car had not been PDI'd and no market selected which is quite usual for cars sold by the administrators after MGR went bust.

The only thing we could find on the live data was that the boost was intermittently too high. This coincided with the poor running of the engine.
Tim has fitted a new boost control solenoid but the symptoms have continued.

The only other thing that I can think of at the moment is that it might be the MAP sensor. I haven't got a Turbo one for him to try what would be useful is to be able to try one to see if it improves things.
Is there anyone with a 18T nearby who is willing to help?
Russ

Russ

Timbo.P6 27th April 2017 19:21

replaced coil packs spark plugs and leads today, and ssshhh the judder seems to have gone