The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Chipping a 75 diesel (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=72886)

kevrandle 22nd November 2010 08:58

Chipping a 75 diesel

Does anyone know the pros and cons about buying, say, a Synergy 2 chip system for a 75 diesel estate. I have a 2005 BMW engined 2 l. diesel which I intend to use to tow a touring caravan. Would the extra BHP be worth it in terms of insurance complications and wear on clutch and transmission chain? Any advice gratefully recieved.

Mintee 22nd November 2010 09:14

The Synergy is brilliant. It works well and does what it claims.

Your insurance is based on lots of factors so what other people have (or not) from adding a Synergy is not going to really relate to you.

If you have a dodgy clutch already adding power is not going to help but a good car is not going to necessarily going suffer much - it is as much how you drive it as what it does.

Gren 24 22nd November 2010 09:30

If you can afford a Synergy 2.go for it .I have a 2004 75 Auto Diesel estate and the deference is well worth it.The BHP on mine was 131 now 150 BHP.That is based on setting 6 with mafam turned of.

If you do decide to get one See Roverron on this site he makes them.

What Mintee was saying about insurance it is best if you tell them.

Good luck and Yes get one.

man of kent 22nd November 2010 09:32

I've been thinking about this as well but its been suggested that the Jatco auto box may not be up to the extra torque developed by the BMW diesel with the chip. That may be another reason besides BMW not wanting to let Rover have the extra power and torque available from the engine. I was told the auto box with diesel is on its limit. Correct?

arjan_m 22nd November 2010 09:41

That would be interesting if you are right. I was thinking of adding an Synergy 2, my 75 is an automatic.

sratansi 22nd November 2010 10:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by arjan_m (Post 622763)
That would be interesting if you are right. I was thinking of adding an Synergy 2, my 75 is an automatic.

me too! i was going to ask that lol

Dave Goody 22nd November 2010 10:42

Some members are pushing out between 170 -175 on theirs with no problems
This engine was a detuned version compared to the one fitted in BMWs so no problem Dave ps 100s of members have these and everybody pleased with them:D

CoOkIeMoNsTeR 22nd November 2010 11:11

In terms of the power, the box was fitted in the V6 180, so you should be ok. If not then this is a major consideration for me if I can't get clearence for the op. If I have to go back to auto hunting, I won't be impressed if you can't improve the torque at least. (Oh, BTW, I've decided to look for a 135 diesel plus spec)

BigRuss 22nd November 2010 11:17

The extra torque that the Synergy provides is just what you need for towing.

There have been 1000's of these sold and there is no evidence that the drivetrain suffers at all.

Drivetrain and autobox are good for 180BHP + and the Synergy even on it's highest setting is nowhere near that.

116PS >>>>> 144 BHP max
135PS >>>>> 154 BHP max

Both figures approx .

As the Synergy is adjustable for both power and torque so you should be able to find a suitable setting .

Russ

actros 22nd November 2010 11:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by man of kent (Post 622759)
I've been thinking about this as well but its been suggested that the Jatco auto box may not be up to the extra torque developed by the BMW diesel with the chip. That may be another reason besides BMW not wanting to let Rover have the extra power and torque available from the engine. I was told the auto box with diesel is on its limit. Correct?

I have got a auto and the box fitted and there is no probs at all with it i also tow a caravan and there is a great differace when towing.