The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Rover 75 mpg ? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=65233)

cadoc 23rd July 2010 08:01

Rover 75 mpg ?

I'm a first time owner of a 2003 Rover 75 Club SE 1.8 auto.
I'm very impressed with the overall comfort and smoothness of running but I'm wondering what the normal mpg is as it seems a bit of a guzzler !
I know the turbo ups the mpg as well as it being an automatic but what mpg should I expect to achieve ?
Any tips on how to improve the mpg as I've been told that you can't do the old fashioned type 'tuning' on the car ? (It's got a brand new MOT so emissions are all OK).
Thanks in advance.

SD1too 23rd July 2010 08:09

:welcome:
Hi David and welcome.
If you change your car details from the default 'Rover 75 saloon' to '2003 Club SE 1.8T auto' you will attract the attention of an expert in that model.

Cheers.

Simon.

chrissyboy 23rd July 2010 08:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadoc (Post 562546)
I'm a first time owner of a 2003 Rover 75 Club SE 1.8 auto.
I'm very impressed with the overall comfort and smoothness of running but I'm wondering what the normal mpg is as it seems a bit of a guzzler !
I know the turbo ups the mpg as well as it being an automatic but what mpg should I expect to achieve ?
Any tips on how to improve the mpg as I've been told that you can't do the old fashioned type 'tuning' on the car ? (It's got a brand new MOT so emissions are all OK).
Thanks in advance.

hi welcme to the club ,congrats on your choice of model .according to the mg rover an 18t auto should do 22.1 mpg urban and 42.8 extra urban,
mine does more in town around 27 mpg,dont forget if your heavy footed you will use more ,dont forget the figures was arrived at by one persons style of driving .i put 15/20 pound a week a week in my 18t and do all the miles i need to .my car is being repaired at the moment and i have a rentel ,vauxhall insignia diesel .last week i went to broadstairs and my usaul driving i had to put £50 in it my petrol 18t i would of done the same on £35 ,i get roughly 32/34 in town and around 46 mpg on motorway .remember if the car has been looked after it will give a good mpg.just like any other car .they say on here to fill the car up and see how many miles you do on a full tank ,that way getting to know your mpg . hope this helps ..

Chris K 23rd July 2010 09:13

Should we still be measuring/comparing consumption in Miles per Gallon?

Especially since you cant buy 'a gallon' of fuel anymore (so you have to convert it from litres) :(

Then you have diesel which is quite a bit more expensive than petrol nowadays (muddys the figures by at least another 5%)

Also getting more and more LPG conversion which is about half the price of petrol (less than half of diesel)

considering all those things - MPG is no good for comparing like with like

I reakon we should start using pence per mile (my diesel is about 15p per mile)

richardllew 23rd July 2010 11:28

Rover 75mpg

My Rover 75 1.8 doesn't use any petrol at all, as I bought it as a project. It looks nice on the drive thought.

My Panda diesel does just over 75mpg, although I now realise the 75 was for the model not the mpg.

Have I got the best of both worlds, a good looking Rover 75 to look at (and fix), and a 75mpg car to use !

10coupe 23rd July 2010 11:47

Hi Cadoc,

I'm also new to '75' ownership - having got mine this week and must say they are super cars.

One thing I noticed looking through the handbook regarding engine oil which might me of interest to you and your mpg.

Quote: Oil specification
Petrol engines: 10W/40 engine oil meeting ACEA A2.

Note that for 1.8 petrol engine cars only, ACEA A1 oils can
also be used and that this specification may improve fuel
economy.

Hope this may be of use

regards

10coupe

kully 23rd July 2010 12:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris K (Post 562580)
Should we still be measuring/comparing consumption in Miles per Gallon?

Especially since you cant buy 'a gallon' of fuel anymore (so you have to convert it from litres) :(

Then you have diesel which is quite a bit more expensive than petrol nowadays (muddys the figures by at least another 5%)

Also getting more and more LPG conversion which is about half the price of petrol (less than half of diesel)

considering all those things - MPG is no good for comparing like with like

I reakon we should start using pence per mile (my diesel is about 15p per mile)

Miles per gallon (or miles per litre) is easier to use when comparing fuel usage - otherwise you'd need to also specify how much you paid for the fuel. A v6 and diesel could both do 15p/mile if the fuel put in cost differing amounts.

And, everyone knows a gallon is 4.54 litres :)