The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Some Bad News (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=326970)

Martin Butler 6th February 2024 07:47

Some Bad News

Recently I have been having some health issues, mostly to do with my hearing, after an ear infection, that's left me partially deaf in one ear, but recently I've developed further complications effecting my health more seriously, i developed Tinnitus, and now Vertigo, which means i lose my balance often its a daily occurrence, but i can also go for several days when I'm fine, but then have an episode with no warning,
The consequences of having an episode behind the wheel would be catastrophic.and i have been advised to stop driving, until i have at least 3 months clear , of these giddy spells,
So with regret i'm going to have to let the rover go , Unforunatly i have been unable to complete the repairs, to pass an MOT, the outstanding work is the SRS, needs the seats out to change the connectors, as they keep on failing, and the headlight leveller bracket, really needs a more substantial method of securing it to the arm,, i used some steel strip, but it needs something heavier duty, it was all i had at the time, but i have since got some heavier section steel and made up a bracket that can either be welded, or riveted to the arm, and would be a permanent solution , the cars in good condition, 98,k on the clock, i will be putting it in the for sale section later today

FLYING BANANA 6th February 2024 08:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Butler (Post 2988496)
Recently I have been having some health issues, mostly to do with my hearing, after an ear infection, that's left me partially deaf in one ear, but recently I've developed further complications effecting my health more seriously, i developed Tinnitus, and now Vertigo, which means i lose my balance often its a daily occurrence, but i can also go for several days when I'm fine, but then have an episode with no warning,
The consequences of having an episode behind the wheel would be catastrophic.and i have been advised to stop driving, until i have at least 3 months clear , of these giddy spells,
So with regret i'm going to have to let the rover go , Unforunatly i have been unable to complete the repairs, to pass an MOT, the outstanding work is the SRS, needs the seats out to change the connectors, as they keep on failing, and the headlight leveller bracket, really needs a more substantial method of securing it to the arm,, i used some steel strip, but it needs something heavier duty, it was all i had at the time, but i have since got some heavier section steel and made up a bracket that can either be welded, or riveted to the arm, and would be a permanent solution , the cars in good condition, 98,k on the clock, i will be putting it in the for sale section later today

Sorry to hear about the health issues. But health and family are always the top priority. Get well soon.

planenut 6th February 2024 09:01

Sorry to hear this Martin,, some things don't stop one, but can cause a change in direction, best wishes.
Fred (planenut)

John Cooksley 6th February 2024 09:50

See if the Doctor will give you some Betahistine 16mg tablets,
I had exactly the same and these pills cured it in less than a month.
Good luck with your recovery

sln8458 6th February 2024 09:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Butler (Post 2988496)

Sounds like 'meniere's disease' something I have had for 30+ years.
In my case it is mild, though at the start it was quite worrying.
Laying under the car has caused an episode, as has bending down to pickup a dropped pencil :eek:.

Martin Butler 6th February 2024 10:24

Thanks for all the good wishes guys, the doctor i saw , didn't think its Menieres, he put it down to an perforated eardrum, caused by the infection, then Tinnitus he did a lot of movement checks and reaction work, to rule out other stuff, its something to do with the inner ear, and balance, and i don't even need to be bending over, my head will start to go, then i'm on the floor, then comes the vomiting, and i'm having to hold onto a wall , or anything stable, to reach a sink, luckily i have not hurt myself, but did pull a coffee table over on me, so far since christmas , i've had 6 attacks,and it goes in spells, i can go a week without a single episode, then have 3 in as many days, but afterwards, i'm fine

BRG75 6th February 2024 10:48

Martin, I'm very sorry to hear this.

I can't offer any medical advice, although it seems that medication does exist, that helped the member on post 4. Worth investigating, I would have thought.

Being advised to stop driving, by a medical person, must be adhered to, as I'm sure that you are aware.

However, do you have to inform your insurer, and the DVLA?

The former most certainly, but the DVLA may not be so obvious.

The DVLA website is very specific about a very long list of conditions that they must be informed off; they will then decide if they need to rescind your licence.

I don't know if vertigo is amongst them, but I would suggest that you spend time looking into your circumstances v. their website very carefully.

I believe that Swansea are currently running with a large backlog of medical licence re-applications.

I'm still waiting for my licence back; nearly 15 months after returning it, and at least 9 months after it could (should) have been returned.

By their own (published) words, I should have been exempt from their own "standard" 6 months off the road.

Best of luck.

Mike

bl52krz 6th February 2024 11:30

Hi Martin. Menieres is something that comes on suddenly. My wife and I were in the middle of Birmingham, by Snow Hill station, when all of a sudden, she said she felt giddy. Seconds later I was holding on to her as she fell over looking like she was having a heart attack. Long story short. We were going to drive through France down to Italy in 2006, and we wanted to know if everything was ok. We paid to see a private hospital Dr about it. It turned out she had Menieres. She was given some tablets, which she takes to this day if she thinks she is going to have an attack. These come on like you say, suddenly without warning. The tablets have to be put under the top lip and let them dissolve. Touch wood, she has only been caught out a couple of times since with an attack. The Dr said they don’t really know why they work, but who cares so long as they do. I will find out what they are called , and add them to this post later. My wife goes grey, very cold and feels sick if she has an attack, do you ?

Martin Butler 6th February 2024 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by bl52krz (Post 2988512)
Hi Martin. Menieres is something that comes on suddenly. My wife and I were in the middle of Birmingham, by Snow Hill station, when all of a sudden, she said she felt giddy. Seconds later I was holding on to her as she fell over looking like she was having a heart attack. Long story short. We were going to drive through France down to Italy in 2006, and we wanted to know if everything was ok. We paid to see a private hospital Dr about it. It turned out she had Menieres. She was given some tablets, which she takes to this day if she thinks she is going to have an attack. These come on like you say, suddenly without warning. The tablets have to be put under the top lip and let them dissolve. Touch wood, she has only been caught out a couple of times since with an attack. The Dr said they don’t really know why they work, but who cares so long as they do. I will find out what they are called , and add them to this post later. My wife goes grey, very cold and feels sick if she has an attack, do you ?

Sounds very much like it, thanks, i'm due to see my GP about it anyway, i will ask her if she can prescribe anything,

Martin 190 6th February 2024 13:16

Hi, it could also be this?

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/labyrinthitis/

I suffered from it a number of years ago but thankfully its has not reoccured after a couple of bouts. Good luck.