The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Mifi Hotspot (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=204523)

HarryM1BYT 2nd January 2015 09:37

Mifi Hotspot

I have had it in mind to look into getting a MiFi Hotspot for a while - just waited until the price fell as my need wasn't that desperate.

Until now, I've been using a USB dongle with a Three sim, via a long USB cable to enable me to get the dongle high for best reception.

My research suggested that you can get hotspots with a built in 3G /4G modem/sim socket, or one with a USB socket for a dongle (as above) to be plugged in. 4G hotspots being quite expensive still and 3G not that cheap.

I've taken a chance on one which needs a dongle to be plugged in, which means I should be able to plug either 3G or 4G in, once coverage improves. Not that much of a gamble, it only cost me £8.95, new from ebay - a generic one, but seems well spec'ed. It has a built in 4 hour (runs for) rechargeable battery or can be USB powered.

If anyone might be interested, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Snetty 2nd January 2015 14:24

Harry,
I use a three mifi device and is fine for most things and very rarely am I unable to get a signal. The cost was far more than what you paid off the bay but has served me well over the last two years and is still going strong. However if your usage does not warrant this then most smart phones allow tethering which I also find satisfactory.

HarryM1BYT 2nd January 2015 15:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snetty (Post 1880004)
Harry,
I use a three mifi device and is fine for most things and very rarely am I unable to get a signal. The cost was far more than what you paid off the bay but has served me well over the last two years and is still going strong. However if your usage does not warrant this then most smart phones allow tethering which I also find satisfactory.

My Iphone doesn't support tethering, besides I would need to keep swapping sims if it did. The Mifi unit is a better solution anyway, with a built in firewall, security and filters etc..

bigbaldbloke 2nd January 2015 15:58

It's a shame that you're an Apple fan rather than Android Harry. I'm a big advocate of dual SIM phones, so my bad boy has my phone SIM, plus a data one for tethering. And a battery with more charge than you'd ever need!

http://www.thlmobilestore.com/thl-50...-5-0-inch.html

mh007 2nd January 2015 16:40

I just tether my Samsung Galaxy S4, works a treat.

I also have a 3 broadband dongle but to be honest, the S4 is much faster.

Of course, I'm on contract as PAYG for data could be expensive.

HarryM1BYT 3rd January 2015 17:07

Not worth my while having a contract, I started on Voda's none expire PAYGO for data, which just stopped, then the free Samba, then Three's 1Gb lasts 30 days.

Someone suggested 321 and got as far as ordering a sim, based on there 1p a Mb - but then I found they shut it off if you use it for just data, rather than occasional data in a phone.

Three has been by far the most reliable of the Voda/O2 network for 3G, so I'm not keen to move.

bigbaldbloke 3rd January 2015 17:26

I still swear by Giffgaff. The gigabag is now £5-7.50/month depending on what data you want, then 20p/day once it runs out.

HarryM1BYT 3rd January 2015 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbaldbloke (Post 1881148)
I still swear by Giffgaff. The gigabag is now £5-7.50/month depending on what data you want, then 20p/day once it runs out.

I use GG for my phone, but find Three to best for coverage for data. You can buy a Three sim loaded with 1Gb for 30 days for £7 delivered, so it does just beat GG on cost, if you order a new sim rather than top up every time.

kurtDeVos 7th January 2015 08:23

I use a three MIFI unit when out in the camper, visiting places with no fixed line, or house moving etc.

I have had my one for a few years, just sold my orginal one that was still fully working and reliable. I will soon be buying a 4G MIFI as on three 4G is no extra cost and some european countries are included.

I have the 15GB per month alowence and is plenty for me even when playing mutiplayer PC games. I only get near my limmit on banwidth heavy services such as netflix or second life.

I have Unlimmited 4G on my mobile (cant teather as its not in the contract) and the data coverage on Three is great. Only really struggles in the sticks although I had good 3G coverage in cumbria.

Dorset Bob 7th January 2015 12:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT (Post 1879756)
........ Not that much of a gamble, it only cost me £8.95, new from ebay - a generic one, but seems well spec'ed. It has a built in 4 hour (runs for) rechargeable battery or can be USB powered.

If anyone might be interested, I'll let you know how it turns out.

An interesting thread Harry. This is something I want to look at doing.
Do you have a link for one that you got off ebay? :}