The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Drop link oe manufacturer? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=151017)

75driver 26th June 2013 17:38

Drop link oe manufacturer?

Can anyone tell me if Delphi were the original manufacturer for drop links?
It's just that Rimmers genuine mg drop links are over twice the price of Delphi's on eBay.
If they were different (or better), I would pay the extra, but if not, what's the point?

Lovel 26th June 2013 19:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by 75driver (Post 1345854)
Can anyone tell me if Delphi were the original manufacturer for drop links?
It's just that Rimmers genuine mg drop links are over twice the price of Delphi's on eBay.
If they were different (or better), I would pay the extra, but if not, what's the point?

Don't waste your money on Delphi drop links. They were not OE, and in my experience fail early on.

75driver 26th June 2013 21:15

From more reading on previous threads on the subject, there dont seem to be any other recommended alternatives to rimmers.:(
Unless someone knows different....?

shiner 26th June 2013 21:25

Had cheap q drive ones on mine since feb12 , cost less than £10 each , with no problems.
If the gen ones are that good , why are they o common for replacement , perhaps it's because there basically a consumable item , the state of the roads don't help

Typhoon190 26th June 2013 21:58

Surely these items should last at least a year. Any less and they're not fit for purpose, and should be returned for warranty replacement? :shrug:

bl52krz 26th June 2013 22:57

After reading about how people are having replacement droplinks fail after a short time, i wonder if it is because they are not being fitted properly. When fitting drop links you are supposed to lightly tighten them first, and then put the wheels on, and drop the jack from the vehicle.Then with the weight of the car on the wheels torque the nuts up. If you are not doing this, and tightening them fully before the weight of the car is on the wheels, you are doing it wrong.

Roverite 27th June 2013 13:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by bl52krz (Post 1346234)
After reading about how people are having replacement droplinks fail after a short time, i wonder if it is because they are not being fitted properly. When fitting drop links you are supposed to lightly tighten them first, and then put the wheels on, and drop the jack from the vehicle.Then with the weight of the car on the wheels torque the nuts up. If you are not doing this, and tightening them fully before the weight of the car is on the wheels, you are doing it wrong.

This is good advice and applies to most suspension bushes. If you don't tighten them once the weight is on the wheels, the bushes will be under constant tension when stationary and will be doubly under tension on a bump. If they are tightened when the weight is on the wheels, there will be no torsional tension when stationary and only the designed minimal tension when on bump, or rebound.

Roverite.

BernieM 27th June 2013 14:08

Fine...if you have a pit!

EDDYW 27th June 2013 14:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by BernieM (Post 1346567)
Fine...if you have a pit!

What's a pit.?
Side of the road, Bricks, blocks of wood,anything to keep the thing off the ground. Pouring down, rain running down the gutter via you collar and trouser leg. Ah those were the days. And then they invented the wheel.
I got older and now, A waterproof garage with a couple of 4 poster lifts and almost every tool and piece of equipment you can imagine, the man that owns it is very knowledgable and prices are fair.
Yes the days of all but the standing DIY are gone.:D

berkshirelad 27th June 2013 17:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by bl52krz (Post 1346234)

That's why they are failing - most people drop the car off the jack...:D

I'll get my coat...:getmecoat::getmecoat: