The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Key fob range. (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=60990)

VVC-Geeza 20th May 2010 23:15

Key fob range.

I'm amazed at the range my key fob has to lock/unlock my 75,i paced it out today and estimate it at 60 feet :eek:

The range for the handset on my 200 Coupe has always been around 10 feet if i'm lucky.I've owned it from 7K miles and less than a year old and so i know its nothing to do with wear and deterioration on this one :(

rrobson 20th May 2010 23:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by VVC-Geeza (Post 527177)
I'm amazed at the range my key fob has to lock/unlock my 75,i paced it out today and estimate it at 60 feet :eek:

The range for the handset on my 200 Coupe has always been around 10 feet if i'm lucky.I've owned it from 7K miles and less than a year old and so i know its nothing to do with wear and deterioration on this one :(

60 feet :eek: :bowdown: is that a mans 60 feet or a womans ;) mines really hit and miss. sometimes it workes from around 15 or so feet, and sometimes it wont work when im stood next to the door. got used to it as my last car always had a rubbish range

Clickernick 20th May 2010 23:36

Somtimes mine is keen and at other times I have to resort to the old 'side of the head' tecnique.

If you seem out of range, just place the fob beside your temple and activate and 'voila'
Les portes sont ouvertes!!!! :D

rrobson 20th May 2010 23:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clickernick (Post 527181)
Somtimes mine is keen and at other times I have to resort to the old 'side of the head' tecnique.

If you seem out of range, just place the fob beside your temple and activate and 'voila'
Les portes sont ouvertes!!!! :D

then what happens when you do it enough is your brain turns to mush from the radio waves:D
does it work down a mobile? always wanted to try but havnt got round to it yet

VVC-Geeza 20th May 2010 23:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrobson (Post 527179)
60 feet :eek: :bowdown: is that a mans 60 feet or a womans ;) mines really hit and miss. sometimes it workes from around 15 or so feet, and sometimes it wont work when im stood next to the door. got used to it as my last car always had a rubbish range

Yep at least 60 ft,i was using a womans estimate :)

I'll measure it accurately next time ;)

south bank 21st May 2010 00:10

Your range is 60 feet?

That sounds about right for the average range it one press locks the car to me, so I think your estimate is spot on. A few presses and it registers one of them further away for me and if I hold it by my head I'll get half that distance again.

Unlocking the car though for me is totally different, the range is stupid. I promise it to be no exaggeration, but I can unlock mine from 80 plus yards away. That's 80 plus man sized yards, and being about as tall as Jeremy Clarkson, I don't do small steps anyway.

Myself and others have paced it in the past and it has comfortably worked from a bit more than two thirds of the way down a football pitch in the past after games.

sikelsh 21st May 2010 00:50

Talking of Key Fobs, we requested Ofcom come to our place of work a while back, as no one could lock or unlock there car in the car park, in fact one of the Bentleys, the chap couldnt even drive it as it was keyless entry with a start button, poor fella had to slum it in his range rover instead.

A man from Ofcom turned up with all manner of gadgetry, looked like a ghostbuster, we suspected it was something to do with some foreign ambassador that lives at the back of the car park and that MI5/6 or even 7 had some blocking device going to stop him selling secrets to the Russians.... i know stupid hehe.

Anyhow, this chap turns up switches his gadgets on and picks up a stray signal, takes him straight to this house, and it turned out to be a faulty TV sender/receiver for transmitting Sky up to his bedroom!

A bit of an anticlimax to the story, but it goes to show what can affect the range on your key fobs.

Simon

thomas 75 connie 21st May 2010 05:08

Could it be that mk2 models have a better range as when doing it on my dads car you have to nearly get in the thing before it opens

pab 21st May 2010 06:02

there is a 'how to' on here on extending the range.

stocktake 21st May 2010 06:03

Early cars have very poor range, later models don't suffer from this :)