The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   CDT - Feeling hot hot hot! (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=142619)

Dave-M 4th April 2013 19:37

CDT - Feeling hot hot hot!

Just back from a week down in the New Forest, the first outing for the caravan this year.

We're only about 6 miles from the M6 but within a mile or so of joining the motorway I noticed the temperature gauge climbling, and climbing, and climbing right up to the 3/4 mark :eek: Turning on the diagnostics showed 120C - so heaters full on and an anxious wait to see if the temperature would keep climbing. As we limped along on a light throttle the temperature slowly came down to 116C so we continued to the nearest services to assess the situation.

Once we'd stopped and popped the bonnet it became pretty obvious what the problem was - fan running at high speed, bypass hoses roasting hot, and a stone cold radiator - stuck thermostat. I'd done the in-line mod about 18 months ago, with the usual Renault 5 item, but of course when this type of thermostat fails, it sticks in the CLOSED position. I don't know if it had only just failed, or I'd just not noticed because of the months of cold weather we've had, but either way a quick root through the boot produced enough tools to pull out the faulty stat.

We were on our way again within 30 mins with no problems after that (apart from running at 1/4 on the temp gauge) and the Zed behaved faultlessly for the rest of the week :hurray:

Thomas 4th April 2013 19:40

Glad it was a simple fix! nothing worse than being miles from home and the car overheats!

rossocorsa 4th April 2013 19:46

Interesting proof that diesels CAN overheat!

T-Cut 4th April 2013 20:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by rossocorsa (Post 1269221)
Interesting proof that diesels CAN overheat!

Indeed. I've said so for years. It's about saving enough of it to reach a good running temperature.

As to thermostats failing shut, most stats will. The only fail safe stat is one designed with an overheat latching system that prevents the valve from ever closing. Not many have it I reckon. The OEM diesel stat doesn't fail completely though. It simply starts opening too early. The Renault stat, like most standard stats, will fail shut.

TC

Billy1mate 4th April 2013 20:16

Decision made for me, I was going to put a Renault one in mine but I will replace the original. In my experience if something is going to fail it is always late at night and raining.:D

Dave-M 4th April 2013 20:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy1mate (Post 1269255)
Decision made for me, I was going to put a Renault one in mine but I will replace the original. In my experience if something is going to fail it is always late at night and raining.:D

At least it was an easy fix to pull out the in-line stat. Probably no more than 5 minutes work - top cover and air intake removed to make room, top hose undone (as it now has a normal jubilee clip) and then ease the stat out with a pair of pliers before putting everything back together. Most of the time at the services was spent waiting for the engine to cool down.

pm77 4th April 2013 21:02

I've commented on the diesel thermostat thread as to whether a permanent fix can be found rather than an OEM/Land Rover replacement or a (sorry to put it this way) a bodge job extra such as the Renault 5 way.

I would rather it fail cold than hot.

HGF COULD occur on any car whether diesel or petrol, Model T to F1 and iirc heat is the major cause (but not the only cause)

coolasacucumber 4th April 2013 21:44

My cdti runs at a very low temperature, roughly 1/4 on the gauge, I've always just thought that was normal until reading this...

Does it indicate yet another problem that I need to sort?

Thanks.

Glad you got home safe by the way!

Dragrad 4th April 2013 23:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolasacucumber (Post 1269373)
My cdti runs at a very low temperature, roughly 1/4 on the gauge, I've always just thought that was normal until reading this...

Does it indicate yet another problem that I need to sort?

Thanks.

Glad you got home safe by the way!

Yup! I had the same problem, replaced the original thermostat and no problems since :D

Indicator should be at 9 o'clock once warmed up ;)

Look in the How To forum.......;);)

coolasacucumber 5th April 2013 07:09

Thank you. Is it something that can go on the 'to do' list, or is it urgent?