The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Starter motor removal & reinstallation... (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=52284)

upstream 21st January 2010 15:40

Starter motor removal & reinstallation...

Hi all,

I searched for a thread on this but was unable to locate one. There is an issue with my starter motor (only recently bought the car) and I want to try cleaning the solenoid contacts. I have removed the battery box (boy those torx bolts were tight) and have removed the aircleaner box also. I'm unsure as to whether I'll be able to access the 8mm cap bolts while the starter is still in place so I am considering removing the starter.

My question is (2.0 v6 2001, auto, petrol) whether it is just a case of removing the ..three (i think) bolts and then just pull it outward and upward (to avoid the nearby engine mount) and refit the reverse or whether this is a much more complex job that I perhaps shouldn't be attempting.

I'd appreciate any assistance.

Thanks,

Andy.

stocktake 21st January 2010 16:09

Hi Andy, from memory three bolts two wires and out it comes, then follow the how to on cleaning the contacts :)

Kandyman 21st January 2010 16:23

Just to back up stocktake,

Remove the 3 bolts and 2 wires and then removed the starter pulling it out and upwards.

upstream 21st January 2010 16:36

Thanks guys!

Andy.

Kandyman 21st January 2010 16:41

There's new ones on Ebay from best of British, i got a new one of him a few months back when i needed one, i think i did a offer of £90 and was accepted :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROVER-75-MGZT-...#ht_500wt_1182

upstream 29th January 2010 18:33

Hi all,

Well I went ahead and did it - Removed the starter, undid the solenoid plate and cleaned the contacts (they were quite badly pitted). After this I refitted everything (battery box, air cleaner etc) and tried to start the car...

Just the single "click" and nothing else.

I double checked the battery charge and used a booster too just to be certain but no luck.

Any ideas as to what a good next step in the diagnosis may be?

Thanks,

Andy.

ps... I've heard something about a starter inhibitor switch. Is this something easy to get to and if so, is there a way that I can bypass it to rule this out as a potential cause?

I've sen this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROVER-75-2-0-V...item5881f9bc9e

on ebay however it doesn't say that it is the one for the automatic so I'm not sure whether to just buy it or not. The part number is;
MAKE; DENSO
DENSO CODE; 228000-7620
PART NUMBER; NAD101180

SD1too 30th January 2010 09:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by upstream (Post 456122)
... tried to start the car... Just the single "click" and nothing else.

I've heard something about a starter inhibitor switch. Is this something easy to get to ...

Hi Andy,

The single "click" is the starter solenoid operating which means that your starter inhibitor switch must be working. According to MG Rover its electrical multiplug is mounted in the region of the automatic transmission oil pan, but I can't find it on the circuit diagrams to give you the wiring colours. I would be cautious about disturbing it unnecessarily as MGR says a service tool is required to reset it.

It appears that despite your solenoid moving, the motor is still not getting an electrical supply. It could be that your solenoid contacts are too worn to respond to cleaning. If you have a multimeter you can check their effectiveness. I believe that a repair kit is available from X-Part for the solenoid (there has been a recent thread on this). Do not buy a second-hand starter motor from e-bay (unless you're a keen gambler!). If a complete replacement does become necessary, get a proper exchange unit from X-Part or a motor factor or Rimmers. But I think your problem is still with the solenoid.

Simon.

upstream 30th January 2010 09:56

Thanks for that. The connections were quite badly pitted and dirty but with my limited knowledge of things electrical I had thought that provided I sanded all the deposits of the plunger head and the contacts (they were nice and shiny by the time that I had finished), that they should then make the required contacts again.

I suppose what I perhaps should have done was to reconnect the cables to the starter and have held it in my hands and had the wife turn the key to see whether or not it was operational before refitting - Still... at least I had put some wd40 on all the bolts to the battery box etc before refitting so it should be easy to remove again ;-)

My concern now though is that I get the repair kit and then find that there is an issue with the "motor" side of the starter and have to replace it anyway. Do you know if there is any test that can be done of the actual motor (whilst out of the car) by connecting current to any particular terminals of the starter? That may then enable me to have a clearer picture of what isn't working.

Thanks,

Andy.

SD1too 30th January 2010 11:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by upstream (Post 456578)
Do you know if there is any test that can be done of the actual motor (whilst out of the car) by connecting current to any particular terminals of the starter? That may then enable me to have a clearer picture of what isn't working.

Andy,

The solenoid contacts which you cleaned connect the very large diameter cable from battery +ve to the starter motor. If you by-pass these contacts then yes, you can test the motor independently. Forgive me for asking this, but is your electrical knowledge up to this test? The current involved is enormous and if you accidentally choose the wrong terminal on the motor assembly you could destroy your solenoid or short out your battery.

In my view, your first test should be checking your cleaned contacts for continuity with a multimeter on a resistance range.

Simon.

RN3212 30th January 2010 11:18

Hi upstream.I had exactly the same problem on my V6,even after cleaning the contacts the starter wouldnt engage most of the time without clicking.I got a Repair Kit off eBay,fitted it ,and it's working perfectly since.If you're in any doubt as to which kit to get,eMail the seller your VIN No,and state whether it's Auto or Manual,and you'll get the right one.I got mine sent from UK to Rep of Irl in less than a week.