The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Help please! Rover 75 2.5 v6 timing belt (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=51082)

wiltshire75 2nd January 2010 13:15

Help please! Rover 75 2.5 v6 timing belt

hi,

ive had a rover 75 v6 sat on my driver for sometime and really want to get it going.

i plugged it in and it had 2 faults, multiple misfire and system too rich.

looking under the bonnet it was clear that the upper timing belt casing on the camshaft pulley was wobbling as you tried to start it up. having removed the casing you could visibly see the pulley wobbling as if the securing washer bolt has been misthreaded in somewhere and the pulley isnt rotating properly.

before i found this when you tried turning the engine it would catch but stall after a second on two. the person i purchased it off said it just cut out on them.

suggestions on where to go next.....

stocktake 2nd January 2010 13:20

Afraid that doesnt sound good for the engine. Cambelt change on a KV6 is rather involved. Garages charge upwards of £550 to change them, I would think any apparent problem with a cam will involve the changing and setting up of the cam belts. If one of the cam pulley's is wobbling when turning, thats not good, may have snapped.

would suggest getting the engine into a safe locked position and check timing marks etc

2Diesels 2nd January 2010 13:23

Could this be yet another snapped camshaft????
I hope it's not of course but the wobbly pulley makes me think it could be

kaiser 2nd January 2010 16:56

I would tend to agree, something broken, if not the shaft, then the pulley. Rotate to safe position, insert pin through bell housing, check, and if need be, dismantle and check.
Enjoy.
I seem to re-call a recent similar complaint, either on this or the other forum. Can't remember a result though. Might be worth a search.

wiltshire75 2nd January 2010 16:57

hmm interesting....

curse of the snapped camshaft you say?? id say youre spot on, have you got any links to any other cases of this?

ive now taken the pulley off and the end of the camshaft has snapped partially which in turn has worn part of the inner pulley centre. therefore im going to have to put a new pulley on.

however my mechanic friend has suggested that the (excuse if i use incorrect terms) lower camshaft can be swopped with the damaged top one as the end in question isnt being used on the lower one and therefore the limited damage will not affect it. the upper one will then be in perfect condition with the new pulley on it. we have already stripped down to this point before light stopped play.

im literally just about to order the new pulley now...

ps: it looks like this cars barely seen an oil change given the 'chrismas pudding' weve been scooping out!!

wiltshire75 2nd January 2010 16:58

kaiser - you're right - both were broken!

2Diesels 2nd January 2010 17:01

I'm not a V6 man so couldn't say as to wether or not you could swap cams but there's been a couple of cases of snapped exhaust cams just lately, I'm not suggesting for one minute it's a common fault as these 2 are the only ones I've come across. I'll have a look for a link or 2 :D

2Diesels 2nd January 2010 17:03

Here's one we dont find out until later in the thread but have a read
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=48220

stocktake 2nd January 2010 17:12

Don't recon much for the valves chances either. :(

chris75 2nd January 2010 17:12

Just for info, whilst both the inlet and exhaust camshafts look the same they do have different part numbers . The profiles on the cams may well be different if you are still thinking of swapping them :shrug:
Please post some photos of the damaged shaft ends if possible ? I'm sure you've got a few of us curious now !