The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technology Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Power Tools Battery Concerns. (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=258329)

stevenicks 11th December 2016 15:53

Power Tools Battery Concerns.

Now the Winter months are here how many of you leave these in the garage or shed? I have a battery jump start pack, drills, Dremel and lots of other things like everyone else, should I bring these int the house to stop battery drainage? Just a thought as the workshop/shed isn't heated :shrug:

Nev The Bear 11th December 2016 16:03

I do not tend to leave any power tools in the garden shed, I keep my Dremmel, rechargeable drill and other power tools in the understairs cupboard in the house. I think even if the batteries are not affected, the damp and cold probably does not do the tools any good.

chris75 11th December 2016 16:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenicks (Post 2414947)
Now the Winter months are here how many of you leave these in the garage or shed? I have a battery jump start pack, drills, Dremel and lots of other things like everyone else, should I bring these int the house to stop battery drainage? Just a thought as the workshop/shed isn't heated :shrug:

Over many, many years I have left all this stuff in the garage and everything carries on working fine :}

steve-45 11th December 2016 16:36

I'm lucky that I have an integral garage that stays warm and dry - only problem its not long enough to get the 75 into ..... :rant:

SD1too 11th December 2016 16:43

Quote:

... should I bring these int the house to stop battery drainage? Just a thought as the workshop/shed isn't heated.

You'd have to bring your car indoors too Steve. I don't think SWMBO would be impressed. :o

Simon

COLVERT 11th December 2016 16:52

Make sure they have been fully charged then just check and charge them every 6 weeks or so. The cold will do no harm. Moisture will.---:xmas-smiley-032:

stevenicks 11th December 2016 19:15

I think I may discretely hide them all at the back of the other half's wardrobe :shrug::getmecoat:

myfirstrover 11th December 2016 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenicks (Post 2415074)
I think I may discretely hide them all at the back of the other half's wardrobe :shrug::getmecoat:

:xmas-smiley-032: Along with the things she needs batteries for ?

steve-45 11th December 2016 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by myfirstrover (Post 2415121)

Like portable vacuum cleaners ?

stevenicks 11th December 2016 21:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by myfirstrover (Post 2415121)

PERVERT :drool4::drool4:;)

myfirstrover 11th December 2016 21:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve-45 (Post 2415123)
Like portable vacuum cleaners ?

along with electric toothbrushes and that sort of thing

COLVERT 11th December 2016 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenicks (Post 2415074)

If she accidently drops a Metal coat hanger on them you can say Goodbye to the wardrobe.---:xmas-smiley-032:

Dragrad 12th December 2016 01:28

Thread moved to a more appropriate forum. Re-direct left in old. This may be the better forum as threads get ‘lost’ very quickly in the General Forum. :xmas-smiley-032:

spyder 30th December 2016 18:57

Quote:

I have been told that with three garages, NO tools in the house.:huh:
That aside, the cold must have an affect on the battery drain I have however been using them for the past 25 years on a professional basis. Most of this has been at temperatures of 25-30 degrees and they were equally as bad then. The better AEG ETC do hold their charge longer but the cheaper branded ones are all terrible.

So mine remain in the cold garage, although I tend to use them every day anyway. :xmas-smiley-035:

HarryM1BYT 30th December 2016 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nev The Bear (Post 2414955)
I do not tend to leave any power tools in the garden shed, I keep my Dremmel, rechargeable drill and other power tools in the understairs cupboard in the house. I think even if the batteries are not affected, the damp and cold probably does not do the tools any good.

Impossible, I would have to move out of the house to move all of my garage and workshop in. What might rust, I spray with WD40. All of my batteries get a full recharge once a month or once every two months.

My Makita drop in charger comes on for an hour per day, via a time-switch, which charges other similar things - I just swap the battery pack when I remember, 1 or 3. After eight years the battery packs on my Makita drill began to fail, so I bought a cheap set of Li-on C cells as a trial to replace them from China. I replaced them in August and they have been fine. I will do a re-cell of the other two packs when the weather warms up a bit. The charger is designed for either Ni-Cad or Li-on.

HarryM1BYT 30th December 2016 20:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyder (Post 2423855)
That aside, the cold must have an affect on the battery drain I have however been using them for the past 25 years on a professional basis. Most of this has been at temperatures of 25-30 degrees and they were equally as bad then.

Battery discharge capacity/capability decreases when they are cold, but once they warm up it returns. A warm battery can deliver more current than a cold one. Moisture can discharge them though, whether its is warm or cold.