The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   My Head has Gone (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=61688)

sikelsh 1st June 2010 14:30

My Head has Gone

Proper peed off today, set off after my daily checks, water level was spot on, from Norwich to Doncaster this morning, got to Swaffham and had a loss of power and the temp gauge shot up.

Pulled up immediatley, popped the bonnet, expecting plooms of steam, and nothing, tentativley opened the header tank which felt just luke warm and there was still coolant in there, however my face dropped when I saw the oil slick on the surface, and it dropped even more when I pull the dip stick and found mayo everywhere :(:(

So two AA van exchanges and the car is back at the garage, the engine didnt smell hot, so I am hoping its not cooked anything.

I supposed thankfully, I have a warrenty of sorts, £400 max cost, however they estimate a total of £700 with Belt changes, water pump etc so I am still looking at £300:(

Praying it goes smoothly and this isnt the start of weekly trips to the garage.

Sorry no question to the post, just a depressing vent thanks for listening.

Simon

thomas 75 connie 1st June 2010 14:35

Sorry to hear this bud hope it gets sorted with the minimum of hassle

rrobson 1st June 2010 14:53

such a shame, i know the feeling. 2 rovers, 2 hg's but atleast £300 is better than £700. have you checked that the warrenty does acctually cover it? i know some dont...
hopefully it will be sorted soon :)

sikelsh 1st June 2010 14:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomas 75 connie (Post 533304)
Sorry to hear this bud hope it gets sorted with the minimum of hassle

Thanks Thomas, fingers crossed

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrobson (Post 533315)
such a shame, i know the feeling. 2 rovers, 2 hg's but atleast £300 is better than £700. have you checked that the warrenty does acctually cover it? i know some dont...
hopefully it will be sorted soon :)

Yes thank the lord, I sat in the office while the manager phoned the company up.

I am sort of counting my chickens are there are 12 days left on the warrrenty!!

kaiser 1st June 2010 15:03

Sorry to hear of your misfortune.
At least you did what you could, and the repair will most likely reflect that. You are unlikely to have suffered any heat damage, and fitting a new head gasket should be straightforward.
It is not a big operation. Just make sure that you replace the belts and water pump as well as the belt tensioner, even if you have to pay a bit in to the repair.
But keep an eye on the repair and the replacement parts.

pab 1st June 2010 15:07

sorry to hear your bad news,worst nightmare of k1.8 ownership

do you have a hans temp gauge fitted or use obd diagnostics?

rrobson 1st June 2010 15:07

well, at least there is a good part to this, the gasket could have decided to go in 2 week time, then that would have been a real kick in the teeth...

chrissyboy 1st June 2010 15:15

sorry to hear about your mishap .still on the bright side looks as if the head is ok as engine wasnt really hot .
£700 is a good price to have it all done at the same time ,hope it gets sorted real soon and good luck ,while it is in the garage see if you can get a gerry t for them to fit in place of the plastic one and see if you could get a hans temp gauge,it wont stop hgf but it lets you know way before car has had it , it is a must for us 18t owners, b right side again all that work and only costing you £300 , will be like a newie when she is done ,

sikelsh 1st June 2010 15:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by pab (Post 533327)
do you have a hans temp gauge fitted or use obd diagnostics?

I do use the ODB quite a lot, but not on this occasion, I know its not true reading, but when this happened, I turned the ignition on with the ODB turned on and it read 110 after about 3 minutes of turning the engine off.:shrug:

Ill have get the Hans guage put on my list of jobs.

pab 1st June 2010 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by sikelsh (Post 533354)
I do use the ODB quite a lot, but not on this occasion, I know its not true reading, but when this happened, I turned the ignition on with the ODB turned on and it read 110 after about 3 minutes of turning the engine off.:shrug:

Ill have get the Hans guage put on my list of jobs.

so in theory it will have hit 115 c,which is the cooking temperature..these temperatures are the coolant leaving the head...not that in the expansion tank,that is why it felt luke warm.

make sure the upgraded gasket kit is fitted and the whole kit is used.