The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Timing belt issue? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=264097)

madeupname 21st March 2017 15:14

Timing belt issue?

Hi all,
I just got back from shopping, (2 ton trolley jack from Halfords), and when I pulled up at my house I heard a 'wup wup wup wup' sound synched with the tickover.
I popped the bonnet and had a listen and it seems to be coming from the timing belt.
I'm parked in a safe place and won't be using it again until I've had someone round to check it out, but am I right in thinking the belt is about to fail?
Cheers,
Adrian.

T-Cut 21st March 2017 15:57

Could be the tensioner, water pump or the belt, but if it's definitely coming from within the timing cover it needs urgent investigation. You're right not to run drive until it's checked out.

TC

kbonney88 21st March 2017 16:04

As t_cut says - glad you have heard something and taken action.. there are lots of people that wouldn't have..

I wonder if the belt is split/frayed and catching on the cover.. ??

fingers crossed its something and nothing - but it doesn't sound like..

report back once you have had someone look at it..

Kev

madeupname 21st March 2017 16:07

Thanks T-Cut.
Yes, I was also thinking that the sound might represent a loose belt, which would lead to the tensioner being suspect.
I visited Trikey recently and mentioned the timing belt, telling him I might take the cover off to inspect it. He told me about the bottom hidden bolt. If it's nice weather tomorrow I'll set about checking it. If I can't see anything obvious I'll get a proper mechanic round.
Is the tension the same as the alternator belt, ie longest length no more than half an inch play?

madeupname 21st March 2017 16:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbonney88 (Post 2464756)
As t_cut says - glad you have heard something and taken action.. there are lots of people that wouldn't have..

I wonder if the belt is split/frayed and catching on the cover.. ??

fingers crossed its something and nothing - but it doesn't sound like..

report back once you have had someone look at it..

Kev

will do :}

madeupname 25th March 2017 18:37

Phew!

Well I've finally managed to have a look at the timing belt and it all looks alright.
No fraying, taut at all points. I put 25Nm on the wrench and I think the tensioner bolt was a bit looser than it should have been, so that's ok now.
When I fired her up I heard hissing from the back of the engine. I'm right in thinking this is the air intake aren't I?
It's amazing how many different sounds become prominent when looking for a problem :D
I also got the coolant temperature on the display. It stood at 84 when idling and engine warm, dropping to 80 at 2000 revs.
Didn't go for a drive cos I'd lose my parking space. . . curtain twitchers ;)
But I'm off to sunny Wolverhampton tomorrow for some seats so I'll see what it reads after a long run.

T-Cut 25th March 2017 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by madeupname (Post 2466541)
I also got the coolant temperature on the display. It stood at 84 when idling and engine warm, dropping to 80 at 2000 revs.

That sounds a bit odd. The 1.8 thermostat is an 88C type, so the engine shouldn't cool down under those conditions. I'd suggest driving with the diagnostic screen active to see how the running temperature varies. It should indicate somewhere near 90C most of the time. The slow speed cooling fan should trip on at 104C if you can get it there. Try a brisk run for a couple of miles and immediately park up with the engine held at a fast tickover. Also worth running the Demist button slow fan test. Come back here with the results.

TC

madeupname 25th March 2017 20:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Cut (Post 2466564)
That sounds a bit odd. The 1.8 thermostat is an 88C type, so the engine shouldn't cool down under those conditions. I'd suggest driving with the diagnostic screen active to see how the running temperature varies. It should indicate somewhere near 90C most of the time. The slow speed cooling fan should trip on at 104C if you can get it there. Try a brisk run for a couple of miles and immediately park up with the engine held at a fast tickover. Also worth running the Demist button slow fan test. Come back here with the results.

TC

I'll do that tomorrow. I can park up on my way to the motorway.
Just to be clear. I haven't run her for a few days so it was a cold start.
I waited for the thermometer to reach 9pm and read the display. It was 84. I pushed the accelerator and it revved about 3000 before I could find the point to settle it at 2000. I watched as 84 dropped to 83.. .....82.... 81 etc. over about 2 minutes.
I then called it a day and went in.
On past listening I think the fan is running but will check again.
Thank you TC :}

madeupname 25th March 2017 20:09

And here's one I took......

Of the sprockets....

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h7...psiykzlbgm.jpg

T-Cut 25th March 2017 21:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by madeupname (Post 2466600)
I waited for the thermometer to reach 9pm and read the display. It was 84. I pushed the accelerator and it revved about 3000 before I could find the point to settle it at 2000. I watched as 84 dropped to 83.. .....82.... 81 etc. over about 2 minutes.

On that information I suspect that the thermostat needs attention. The engine shouldn't cool down when the stat's supposed to be closed. Driving with the diagnostic screen on will tell all.

TC