The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   boot vents (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=113262)

mark d3 8th May 2012 17:45

boot vents

well after partly sealing the boot vents,my boot seems dry for the first time ever,so this begs the question why are they fitted in the first place?? if they cause so many problems are they needed?

Dallas 8th May 2012 19:04

Air pressure! the vents allow for the air pressure to escape when closing/slamming the boot, otherwise the boot lid would be very awkward to close. I had one of my vents letting in water, I found the vent not to be fitted correctly. :shrug:

HarryM1BYT 8th May 2012 19:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark d3 (Post 999136)
well after partly sealing the boot vents,my boot seems dry for the first time ever,so this begs the question why are they fitted in the first place?? if they cause so many problems are they needed?

Warmed or cooled air comes in via the front heater unit and exits via those vents at the rear - known as 'through flow ventilation'. Other wise the car would become awfully stuffy.

The old solution, was to have air exit vents via the D pillar.

mark d3 8th May 2012 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT (Post 999223)
Warmed or cooled air comes in via the front heater unit and exits via those vents at the rear - known as 'through flow ventilation'. Other wise the car would become awfully stuffy.

The old solution, was to have air exit vents via the D pillar.

right that explains it then,i have not blocked them totally just built a silicone lip on the bottom of the plastic louvres,the frame was not leaking the water was coming through the rubber slats

trikey 8th May 2012 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark d3 (Post 999230)
right that explains it then,i have not blocked them totally just built a silicone lip on the bottom of the plastic louvres,the frame was not leaking the water was coming through the rubber slats

Yes, you need to keep the rubber flaps free.

Canonite 8th May 2012 20:01

My rubber flaps were bent. Ahem...

trikey 8th May 2012 20:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canonite (Post 999304)
My rubber flaps were bent. Ahem...

Not good, you need a straight flap. :getmecoat:

Ros3 8th May 2012 20:14

Hi Mate.

Ach really i think that there is no problem with the vent's. It's just a case of trying to ventilate the car.

And i mean hole's have to be cut somewhere, So if you can improve on the original design by sealling them then good on you.

Keeping the inside of the car dry is the way to go..:)

mark d3 8th May 2012 20:21

will have too see how it goes as we know on our cars they can leak like a sieve in the boot area,this has been a 5 year battle to stop the water cure one leak 5 more appear:mad:

topman 26th November 2012 18:30

Mark can you explain a bit more how you blocked them up. I've discovered a leak, blocked up one but the vent is now leaking. It seems in place but the vents themselves seem wet on all the flaps. Is the side trim a possibility?

The boot carpet can't half soak up water!:( Taken 2 days to dry it out!