The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Coolant loss on mg zt 160+ (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=42024)

Boldyboy 24th July 2009 15:19

Coolant loss on mg zt 160+

Hi Guys,not been on for a while.Last week while driving home from work early hours was doing about 60 ish,when the temp gauge went right upto red and the computer screen lit up 'Engine Overheating',i slowed down and both went off,drove home steadily without any further mishap,checked the water level when i got back and it had lost a little bit(about 1/2 pint) so i topped it up,checked again today and had to put in about a pint!!Any ideas? not had any warning messages since!

T-Cut 24th July 2009 16:16

I think I'll wait till Intermission to read your question.

TC

kaiser 24th July 2009 16:20

Well, plenty:D
You have either
1. Lost water
2. Got a thermostat stuck
3. Indicating fault.

Firstly establish if you have lost water.
If so, have you got an external leak?
check
Thermostat housing
Water pump
All hoses
Check for drips, check filler cap on expansion bottle
If no external leak but water loss, check oil filler cap for mayo (water loss past liners or, if you also have oil in the water, HGF)

If none of the above, stuck thermostat, could be it, start engine from cold and feel the hose to see if it gets hot, If not stuck thermostat.

If none of the above,you could perhaps have an air-lock, but then you would have been tinkering with the cooling system recently, and that you would know.

It just shows you how useless the temperature warning is, get another gauge
either install an analogue type as I did many moons ago, or get one of the excellent units of Hans.
And, with absolutely no modesty whatsoever!!!! install another durable thermostat (hint hint!!)

All the above assumes that you r car is V6 engine.

Otherwise all applies with exception of the thermostat housing!

If I have forgotten anything, it is just to see if the other big mouths on the forum are awake!!!:D:D

Gman2 24th July 2009 16:23

Err - I think it's the 1.8T Kaiser :D

But do the checks that K has suggested anyhow!

Greeners 24th July 2009 16:31

thermostat housing.....check the V with a torch (I'm assuming a KV6)

kaiser 24th July 2009 16:35

Of course, you are right! 1.8T!
Somehow I only noticed the 160, and that did not mean anything in particular to me.
Anyhow, the advice stands, with exception of the thermostat housing. Darn!!:getmecoat:

T-Cut 24th July 2009 18:22

Assuming you've eliminated the possibility of HGF and you know the header cap is sound, then on the 1.8T the first leak candidate is the upper plastic T-piece behind the radiator. This tends to deform as you tighten the clips. If the original clips are still on there, swap them for Jubilees. In fact get rid of the T-piece altogether and replace it with a steel one from Gerry. Search and you'll find.
If that's not the culprit, think about the inlet manifold. It's water heated and the o-ring type gaskets easily fail.
Other than those, leaks can occur in the same place as in any other engine, the water pump is another common one. This drips out from behind the main pulley.
In the turbo, the thermostat is underneath the engine, by the radiator bottom. It could be stuck shut leading to overheat and coolant loss.
If you suspect there's an air lock, you can clear it be evacuating the system using a Pela pump. See the HowTo on vacuum filling the coolant for details.

TC

Boldyboy 27th July 2009 13:52

Cheers Guys,checked for Mayo under the cap and there is none,also the dipstick is clear,seems to be a dry residue on the pipes which could be dryed up coolant,ive still got to get round to fitting my 'Gerry-T' so will probably get that sorted some time this week!.:lol:

Boldyboy 1st August 2009 08:28

Welllll!! Pretty sure now its HGF,the original plastic T-Piece is leaking like sieve,and water is dripping out of the engine,lost another pint yesterday,and there is a big puddle underneath the car,taking it to my mate this morning as he is a mechanic,think it will be about £500,is that reasonable?and how much have others paid to have this done,apparently i also get a full service and cam belt included.

Also on a different note the exhaust back box had an advisory on the mot,and have been told it would be cheaper to have a sports back box sleeved on instead of paying out £230 for a full system,has anybody got any suggestions for a nice stainless box,may as well get it all done while its in for the HGF!

chrissyboy 1st August 2009 11:29

hi

hi sounds like the same thing i had with my 1800 turbo .the pipe from the t bit going to the stat at he bottom of the rad split and the cause was the water pump.mine is being done now for £120 ,got new hose for a real bargian from smc trading for £24.99 brand new one .my mecanic says the head is ok as he made up a pipe to test the engine.