The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   How To? Bumper / fan / condensor removal + intercooler pipe O rings replace (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=86328)

Hengist 13th June 2011 14:54

Lovel - aye, I know Phil Helmsley. Forgot about him - will give him a buzz.

The clips and cable ties wasn't my idea - I got that from another post on here somewhere. ;)

FrenchMike - rather than replace brushes, I did the wiring bodge to cut out the original low-speed brush. It worked nicely on the 75 we had before, and was easier than re-wiring the control box. I have a 2-speed fan off a KV6 in the garage now, just in case (blue KV6 ZT in Seaview Autos scrappy in Fraserburgh, folks - Willie, on 01346 514108. It was his own car, so he knows exactly what's on it still).

Arctic - where'd you get those things from? Look very handy indeed ... I need some!

Angus

Dragrad 13th June 2011 19:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hengist (Post 740350)
Dragrad ... Ramps are obviously a better plan than a Lidl trolley jack :), however I can never get the front of my cars to go up them.

Hi Angus.... Errr..... the link in my signature..... ;)

HarryM1BYT 13th June 2011 20:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hengist (Post 740350)
Dragrad ... Ramps are obviously a better plan than a Lidl trolley jack :), however I can never get the front of my cars to go up them. Must say I've not tried with the MG, but bumper clearance is often an issue when driving the car up ramps.

Angus

I keep a couple of short lengths of plank with a bit of angle iron bolted to them, close to the ramps. They hook onto each ramp and the angle iron prevents them from moving as I drive up.

It was Jules's idea to reinforce the intercooler pipe connection where the O rings are used. I think he later suggested it was unnecessary.

Arctic 13th June 2011 21:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hengist (Post 740479)
Lovel - aye, I know Phil Helmsley. Forgot about him - will give him a buzz.

The clips and cable ties wasn't my idea - I got that from another post on here somewhere. ;)

FrenchMike - rather than replace brushes, I did the wiring bodge to cut out the original low-speed brush. It worked nicely on the 75 we had before, and was easier than re-wiring the control box. I have a 2-speed fan off a KV6 in the garage now, just in case (blue KV6 ZT in Seaview Autos scrappy in Fraserburgh, folks - Willie, on 01346 514108. It was his own car, so he knows exactly what's on it still).

Arctic - where'd you get those things from? Look very handy indeed ... I need some!

Angus

Hi Angus here is the link to the ramp extensions

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184137280...3ABFBM-sTi_IZh

T16 14th June 2011 05:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by T16 (Post 740460)
That rectangular fan box on the passenger side of the fan assembly, does that release from some clips and pop out the front side?

Anyone?!

Cheers!

Trophy Blue Tourer 14th June 2011 06:07

Sadly no!

IIRC:shrug: it releases from the clips and goes backwards so you still need to remove the fan and mounting to remove it!

When Jules fitted one of his excelent kenlow conversions for me he removed the box (and blanked the hole) so that it could be attached (tie wraped) to the front of the battery box for easy access should it ever be needed!

I guess you could try from the front and angle it out but (without going and looking) I reckon it will be to close to the the Rad-A/C Condensor units to twist/move enough to 'wiggle' out

Sorry!!:(:getmecoat:

Andy

Hengist 14th June 2011 07:53

Even if you could get it out from the front, the wiring is routed along the back of the shroud so you wouldn't get much movement.

You'd probably be a lot easier just removing the shroud and getting it from the back. Getting the bumper and light/panel assembly out is really an easy and reasonably quick job.

Angus

Hengist 15th June 2011 07:44

Update - as advised by Lovel above, went round to Phil Hemsley's last night and got the a/c recharged. Lovel - did you have dodgy a/c? When I told him what kind of car on the phone he said "Oh, yeah, did you have problems with that before?" :)

£40 all in, plus he gave me a couple of cable ties to hold my undertray in place till I got home (must've vibrated the rear fasteners off on the way down his track. :)

For comparison, the local Renault dealer in Memsie (only other place round here that does a/c just now) wanted £90 + VAT for a recharge. I made my excuses and left.

Angus