The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Changing Cigar Lighter Flap (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=19308)

trebor 18th April 2008 14:09

Changing Cigar Lighter Flap

Does anyone know an easy way to change these. I want to change mine to walnut tomorrow and it appears that i might have to dismantle quite a lot to do it.
I have seen how they come off and know they are spring loaded but it looks almost impossible to do in situ, so does anyone know if i will have to remove the stereo to get at the ATC, the ATC to get at the cigar flap and then withdraw the whole assembly housing the cup holders, ashtray and cigar lighter flap. If i have to remove the whole assembly does anyone know if it is screwed in ?

baxlin 18th April 2008 14:15

Don't you have to remove the front bumper first? :getmecoat:

Sorry, but it is Friday afternoon............

trebor 18th April 2008 14:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by baxlin (Post 174215)
Don't you have to remove the front bumper first? :getmecoat:

Sorry, but it is Friday afternoon............

Dont joke about such things it might be easier to reach from behind !

JohnDotCom 18th April 2008 19:24

I've given up at the moment.
Can only see you having to do a complete strip down.
Already had complete bottom section out in situ with no joy.
In have the Two Springs in Ashtray! http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ons/icon10.gif

Simon 18th April 2008 20:23

It is easier with the stereo removed but you can just remove the ATC panel. Prise off the outer cover and you will see four (i think) screws, undo them and the panel should pull forward, unclip the two wiring looms and them remove the ATC panel completely. The ashtray is held in by two sprung clips in the two upper corners. You might find it easier to remove the row of switches or blanking plate (depending on what you have fitted) just above the ashtray unit before hand.

The ashtray unit is a pig to remove and requires plenty of wriggling about and tugging - even more so when you try and refit it.

Hope that helps. :)

trebor 18th April 2008 20:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon (Post 174362)
It is easier with the stereo removed but you can just remove the ATC panel. Prise off the outer cover and you will see four (i think) screws, undo them and the panel should pull forward, unclip the two wiring looms and them remove the ATC panel completely. The ashtray is held in by two sprung clips in the two upper corners. You might find it easier to remove the row of switches or blanking plate (depending on what you have fitted) just above the ashtray unit before hand.

The ashtray unit is a pig to remove and requires plenty of wriggling about and tugging - even more so when you try and refit it.

Hope that helps. :)

Thanks looks like fun time tomorrow

CDTi 18th April 2008 20:56

We are expecting some pics tomorrow evening, Rob i.e. new dash and steering wheel ;)

Kearton 18th April 2008 21:14

Removing the whole ashtray-cig. lighter-cup holder unit is defintiely easiest if you remove the ATC and switch panel first. I found judging how hard to pull the hardest thing initially, but once you've done it once, it is easier subsequently. I did this several times when fitting the walnut dash set.
ATC conver (pull)
ATC unit (Screws)
Swich panner cover (pull)
Switch block (pull)
cup holder-ashtray unit, (press clip & pull)

I don't know about removing the cig lighter cover. I loked at it but couldn't se how it would come off. I swapped the whole unit for a walnut one rather than just swapping the covers. Much easier.

Simon 18th April 2008 21:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kearton (Post 174393)
I don't know about removing the cig lighter cover. I loked at it but couldn't se how it would come off. I swapped the whole unit for a walnut one rather than just swapping the covers. Much easier.

Agreed. I too couldn't find a way to remove the cigar fascia and/or cigar lighter assembly so I just swapped the whole ashtray assembly over. :D

trebor 18th April 2008 21:51

Thanks again guys i will persevere tomorrow as i like a challenge !