The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Number Plate Attachment??? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=16589)

PYTHON2674 26th February 2008 14:15

Number Plate Attachment???

Hi Guys,

Well as per the title really, In your opinion and past experience which is the best way to attach number plates?

I have just received mine from Designaplate (with club logo on :lol:).

The rear is the D shaped one so slightly heavier, front as per norm.

Anyone?

Carl

actros 26th February 2008 14:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by PYTHON2674 (Post 152352)
Hi Guys,

Well as per the title really, In your opinion and past experience which is the best way to attach number plates?

Anyone?

Carl

I put mine on with double sided tape i put extra on the back one as you say its heavy than the front one, so far they have been fine.

Dave Goody 26th February 2008 14:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by PYTHON2674 (Post 152352)
Hi Guys,

Anyone?

Carl

I put one on the back and one on the front:D

baxlin 26th February 2008 14:57

I used the pukka pads for the motorists' shop for the rear, but I used double the amount suggested. I have to admit I used screws for the front, it's not as obvious, and it's slightly curved.

PYTHON2674 26th February 2008 15:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Goody (Post 152365)
I put one on the back and one on the front:D

Cheers Dave,

Thats where Im going wrong:pillow:

PYTHON2674 26th February 2008 15:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by baxlin (Post 152366)
I used the pukka pads for the motorists' shop for the rear, but I used double the amount suggested. I have to admit I used screws for the front, it's not as obvious, and it's slightly curved.

Thanks Malcom,

I was just worried that the pads on their own for the rear plate would not suffice.

I was curious to see if someone out there had a special way of attaching them. As I really do not want to drill holes in them...

Thanks again,

Carl:D

bluey9 26th February 2008 15:55

No more nails on a roll will do it just fine. I tried double sided tape and sticky pads and prefer this method.

Cheers
Bluey

PYTHON2674 26th February 2008 15:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluey9 (Post 152403)
No more nails on a roll will do it just fine. I tried double sided tape and sticky pads and prefer this method.

Cheers
Bluey

Cheers Bluey,

Just wondering what type of roll you mean?

Cheese, bacon, egg, ham :getmecoat:

Tootall 26th February 2008 16:04

I fitted mine using number plate screws with a black cap in between the two Ts in the ZTT part :D

T-Cut 26th February 2008 16:16

The best 'retail' double-sided self adhesive foam tape for this job is Sellotape's Sticky Fixer Strip 25mm x 3m roll. Used on a properly prepared (cleaned) panel, this stuff is unbeatable IMHO.

TC

Duotone 26th February 2008 16:40

Number Plate Attachment

I lost my rear Designaplate, it was fixed with double sided pads, it's possible that the surface was not prepaired properly.
Anyway when I got a replacement I decided to fix it with screws.
You can judge for youself from the picture below whether you like the screw fix method..

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l4...r/P9070610.jpg

Dave T

Keith 26th February 2008 17:22

All together now
Tech type question belong in the ................................. forum ;)

pondweed 26th February 2008 18:37

blobs of silicone sealant

capese21 26th February 2008 18:40

I have fixed quite a few plates over the years and use this type of foam tape along with a couple of blobs of silicone sealant, avoid drilling holes at it may cause rust.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DOUBLE-SIDED-F...QQcmdZViewItem

Clean the surface with some meths before fixing.

E.:D

Duotone 26th February 2008 19:06

Number Plate Attachment

Quote:

Originally Posted by capese21 (Post 152507)
I have fixed quite a few plates over the years and use this type of foam tape along with a couple of blobs of silicone sealant, avoid drilling holes at it may cause rust.

While I agree rust is a possibility, I think the risk is slight, the vast majority of cars in Britain have their numberplates secured by screws.
There is also a good number of 75 owners who have their rear plates secured with screws. [Check them out at the next meet]

I lost one rear plate [more than likely my own fault] and decided a once and for all fix was needed..

Whats worse, I did not realise until I had secured the plates that the screws that came with yellow plastic caps were security screws and will not unscrew,
so if I ever want to remove the plate I will have a serious problem..

Dave T

PYTHON2674 26th February 2008 20:36

Cheers guys for all your comments and experiences. I think I will go down the silicone and tape route first. No doubt I will end up loosing it and then will have to drill....

Oh, and Keith sorry about the tech question!!! :bowdown:

TBH I thought it was more triva then technical....:D

Many thanks again to you all for your time.

Regards,

Carl;)

bluey9 27th February 2008 08:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by PYTHON2674 (Post 152407)
Cheers Bluey,

Just wondering what type of roll you mean?

Cheese, bacon, egg, ham :getmecoat:

Had a look at the "roll of No More Nails" I have in the car and it's pretty strong stuff. A few strips of that stuff is designed to hold up to 50kg permanently. You won't need anything else if the surfaces you are fixing to are clean and dry.

PYTHON2674 27th February 2008 09:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluey9 (Post 152855)
Had a look at the "roll of No More Nails" I have in the car and it's pretty strong stuff. A few strips of that stuff is designed to hold up to 50kg permanently. You won't need anything else if the surfaces you are fixing to are clean and dry.

Thanks Bluey,

I don't supose you know where to purchase a "Roll of No More Nails" from as I have only ever seen it in a tube.

Thanks,

Probably me and the old "can't see the wood for the trees!!"

Much appreciated.

Carl