The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Another dead K series engine ? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=257486)

rockerbox 27th November 2016 17:09

Another dead K series engine ?

Brief history, I changed the HG about 1 year, couple of thousand miles ago. Used the MLS one after head skimmed. Had a couple of hoses blow since causing overheat (by gauge and red light), always managed to stop car immediately and repair.
Latest issue was rough idle (at lights etc) but only once car was up to running temp, from cold it started and ran well. This was accompanied by orange flashing engine management light which stopped after getting going over about 20MPH for a minute or two. Car feels normal at any cruising speed. Examined all leads, plugs, coil packs, and started engine without each pot firing one by one, every time the engine ran worse, so it's not a constant not firing on one (though diagnostic tool did say misfire on 2)
So had another hose go, small bleed hose from back of engine and top of rad to exp' bottle Replaced this hose with MGR new one, proper hose clips et al. Also replaced exp' bottle cap with new 140 one.
Recently still getting coolant loss, quite a bit, litre or so each trip, and, crucially, it seems to me, an excessive amount of water vapour from exhaust. I'm not really sure how much vapour (steam if you like) I should expect now the days are so wet and cold and I haven't trusted it to take a good run, enough to maybe drive all condensation out, but it seems to me this is where coolant is going.
Compression test shows all cylinders within 1 bar of each other (14 bar), I checked to see if it was an obvious breach of gasket or fouled valve, whatever.
So I'm wondering if this sounds like an obvious death knell for the ZTT or could I be looking at other things ? like maybe water getting into firing mixture somewhere at the inlet maybe. Finding my knowledge is coming to it's limit now.
Thanks people.

1800 n/a petrol

suzublu 27th November 2016 17:18

Sounds very much like inlet manifold gasket leak.

kc13661 27th November 2016 17:25

Curious, when the Head gasket was replaced was the system fully flushed out, if so how many times, sounds like there could be 'gunge' in the system and causing blockages, this in turn would clog pipes causing them to blow

Number 6 27th November 2016 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzublu (Post 2406427)

:wot::wot::wot:

rockerbox 27th November 2016 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by kc13661 (Post 2406430)
Curious, when the Head gasket was replaced was the system fully flushed out, if so how many times, sounds like there could be 'gunge' in the system and causing blockages, this in turn would clog pipes causing them to blow

The system was flushed a couple of times, I no doubt could have been more thorough. The sump pan was also replaced due to damage so all the goo collected there has gone. Blown hoses showed no sign of mayo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzublu (Post 2406427)

Ok, great, this is excellent news and a confirmed diagnosis I see. Nice I didn't see the automatic HGF message. :D

Will order a new gasket for inlet tomorrow, any particular are preferred ?

Sheraton 27th November 2016 19:52

I'm sure there's an upgraded viton gasket available for the 1.8 k series.

or do as i'm doing and others have done - replace complete manifold with an aluminium VVC part :cool:

Paul.

rockerbox 28th November 2016 08:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheraton (Post 2406546)
I'm sure there's an upgraded viton gasket available for the 1.8 k series.

or do as i'm doing and others have done - replace complete manifold with an aluminium VVC part :cool:

Paul.

Thanks Paul. Think I will try just the viton gasket for now before I invest in new manifold. If it proves the inlet gasket is the problem then I will look at upgrading to the ally part.

At least this gives me an opportunity to be able to get to the two bolts under the idle control valve which I can't get any tork tool I have in :mad: and give that a service.

rockerbox 1st December 2016 18:17

worse than I thought?

The new gasket (viton) should be here by now, I was looking at installing it on the weekend.
But today I topped up coolant bottle and started car. Lots of white from the exhaust, quite a cloud to be honest, worst I've seen it. Warmed the car up for a minute or two and got slightly less smoke/vapour. Smelt exhaust, it doesn't stink of burnt oil but neither does it seem to be clean steam. Slight puddle under exhaust outlet seemed to be just coolant. Checked dip stick in case it has been burning oil, dip stick showed much mayo... uh ohh :(
So now I still don't know, will a failed inlet manifold gasket allow an oil water mix ? Should I continue ? or maybe accept I would need the HG done professionally ?
Advice please, I've spent a few quid on this car, although a lowly 1.8 n/a ZTT I have put in real walnut dash and trimmings, stainless T piece, new tyres, air-con fixed, hoses, new radiator, water pump, belts and so on. So sad because wifey needs a new car too after some numb nut hit and run hers.

Thanks guys and seasonal salutations !

rockerbox 2nd December 2016 08:37

Maybe there is a forum user in the Thurrock -Essex/Kent/E London area that would be able to have a look at my car for me ?

I don't want to scrap it or even do an HG replacement without an authorative diagnosis of HGF like I've heard so often happens. :icon_cry:

roverbarmy 2nd December 2016 09:17

When you changed the head gasket, did you check the heights of the liners? If so, were they all even? It affects the decision as to which gasket to use.:huh: