The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Rear brakes. (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=319100)

Mike Trident 11th May 2022 18:11

Rear brakes.

I'm about to order some new rear brake discs & pads. The discs look like they could actually be the original ones.

Should I order new handbrake shoes at the same time?

How long do they last?

Thanks

Number 6 11th May 2022 18:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Trident (Post 2931629)
I'm about to order some new rear brake discs & pads. The discs look like they could actually be the original ones.

Should I order new handbrake shoes at the same time?

How long do they last?

Thanks

The Hand Brake is only used to Hold the car when it is stationary so gets very little wear. Saying that I changed mine at 175K Not that they needed changing but while I had every thing apart I thought it best to.The new shoes did make the H/B more efficient.;)

TourerSteve 11th May 2022 18:24

Unfortunately it isn't really a decision you can make without removing the drum to inspect the shoes as the are unlikely to wear out but the material is now at an age where the material is starting to break down or the shoes can become unbonded Personally if your handbrake operating ok I would strip down and inspect while changing the discs and order new if required changing them out at a later date . Stripping rear brakes isn't a long job

Mike Trident 11th May 2022 18:31

To be honest I'm more of the opinion that if I'm going in, I may as well do the lot.

I appreciate, they shouldn't really wear out, hence the question. But like you said, they are getting on a bit in years.

I'll order them, and do the lot.

Thanks everyone

Popcorn 11th May 2022 18:37

Be prepared for the back plates to be corroded where the holdown pins go through,and the holdown springs seized if you haven't been in before to check if you say the discs look original :duh:

suzublu 11th May 2022 18:43

Funny this post popped up, I've got a pair to fit on mine when I can be bothered 😁

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Mike Trident 11th May 2022 20:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Popcorn (Post 2931636)
Be prepared for the back plates to be corroded where the holdown pins go through,and the holdown springs seized if you haven't been in before to check if you say the discs look original :duh:

Well that comment has just thrown a spanner in the works lol.

The reason I've not been in there before is because the handbrake works perfectly, so I've not really had the need to even have a look.

When I bought the car 5 years ago, I had a look at the brake pads both front and rear, they were brand new. The handbrake would hold the car on the side of everest so no issues there. I've replaced the front end, but these rusty old discs at the back bother me. The rear pads are about half worn and it will still hold it on everest.

I think now perhaps the best course of action is what have been suggested by TourerSteve, pull off the rear discs and access the situation, then order accordingly.

SD1too 12th May 2022 09:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Trident (Post 2931656)
The handbrake would hold the car on the side of Everest so no issues there ... but these rusty old discs at the back bother me. The rear pads are about half worn ...

There doesn't sound much wrong with your rear brakes to me Mike. :} If the disc's friction surface is bright metal, indicating that the pads are making good contact, and the disc's thickness is above the minimum (8mm) then leave well alone. Rust elsewhere on the disc is immaterial. If you put new ones on, they'll be rusty too in a very short time. ;)

Simon

Robson Rover Repair 12th May 2022 13:31

Unless you buy some of the ones that I have for sale with thr anti rust coating on them. Only the contact area of pad gives rust if left for time, rest stays fresh painted.

bl52krz 12th May 2022 15:01

I fitted Pagid rear disc’s to the diesel. They were coated. That was around four years ago. Still not gone rusty, and they have been stood still in the garage for almost two years. Even the face that the pads have worn are still rust free. The only one that has slight rust on, is the nearside front when I had a leak in the garage roof. It is only slight, and I have run the car up and down the drive to get rid of it, and it is only faintly showing now. It will be back on the road in June, and the V6 can have a rest, or I might sell it, who knows.