View Single Post
Old 9th August 2012, 09:15   #23
mmarks
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

I have been an avid Android user for many years, having also come from WM.

I have tried most, if not all of the navigation options on Android and most are pretty good.

For the paid options, TomTom have announced they will be introducing an Android version, the surprising thing is the time taken bearing in mind that their dedicated units are based around Linux and Android is running a Linux kernal.

Co-Pilot, Navigon, NDrive, Sygic are good 'on board' solutions - if you dont have a data plan then be aware that some of the (additional) subscriptions for these products such as traffic do require data. The maps are, however, stored on the phone and the routing is performed locally on the device.

Google Maps/Navigation can be used locally but ideally works with a data plan. You can cache map data but re-routing and straying off course (together with searches) require online access.

There are a few free solutions - somebody already mentioned navfree which is OK but not up to the standard of the paid apps but one to look into is MapFactor Navigator which is completely free and onboard (map data and routing performed on the phone). It uses OSM (OpenStreetMaps) as its data source which is getting better every day, especially in the UK. To be honest there are not many places that it is either missing roads or inaccurate. OSM is like an open source mapping project. If you find map errors or new roads, you can contact them and add them to the map.

Hope this helps, please feel free to pm me if you have any other questions.

Michael
mmarks is offline   Reply With Quote