View Single Post
Old 16th December 2012, 08:24   #25
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

The sprockets have a "square" near the centre, each. These squares must face each other, in other words, point towards each other.

You should not try and start the car before you have checked all variables.

You don't need any special tools. Just align the marks in a line, and the engine is timed. You can see, if one sprocket is a tooth out, then just do it again.

I am just thinking that with this movement, and trying to start, you would have to be very lucky not to have bent some of the valves. Don't do anything like trying to start. Rather remove all plugs and turn it carefully by hand. Get hold of compressed air, and blow it into each cylinder when the cams are off the lifters. Listen for air escaping through either the inlet throttle body or the exhaust. If you hear that, then the valves are not closing properly, which would mean they have been bent.

Whichever way you turn the sprockets doesn't matter at all, as long as the final position is correct.

I would not change any camshaft, unless there is some damage we haven't heard about.

A general piece of advice. Don't panic, and don't to turn try the engine over on the starter, as a matter of fact, disconnect the battery completely and don't connect it again, before we tell you to. You are likely to do more damage than good with the battery connected.

Be prepared to take the heads off, I have a feeling this is where this could well end..
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote