View Single Post
Old 19th May 2013, 04:38   #4
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Hi David

Both front and rear pumps are currently out of stock as we still seek pattern pumps which last as well as OEM and which don't leak!

The change in front pump sound may in fact be due to intank pump failure.

To be sure intank has failed find a very quiet area to do the following DIY test:

Disconnect the front pump (release small tab with small screw driver and pull the 2 wire black plug off) Turn ignition on and listen at rear for intank high pitched whirring noise (very faint) This can be heard either by listening with filler cap off, or by listening underneath RH of car by fuel tank.

If nothing heard this proves Intank pump is duff or possibly a fractured pipe within the tank.
(Power to both pumps is applied for 50 seconds if engine isn't started , via Relay behind glove box)

Another symptom of intank failure is car will suffer fuel starvation when guage approaches 1/4 mark.
Thanks for the update Jules, but it was in fact the UBP that stopped pumping because it wasn't running at all, then I started to pull the connector off, and when it was half way off it started running although noisily. This happened twice after the car failed to start, but then I read a thread about using vaseline on the terminals which so far has worked. Maybe the change in noise was because it wasn't getting a full 12v. It just sounded a bit like there was a bearing breaking up inside it, but its ok again now. Have you ever ripped one apart to see why they fail?