View Single Post
Old 22nd March 2014, 09:46   #25
Bodger24
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh007 View Post
Well here's a statement I disagree with !

Yes, you have to keep your eye on levles etc but that's the same with any engine isn't it ?

My 1.8 has now covered 148k on its original head gasket, still runs so sweet you can hardly hear it running, no coolant issues whatsoever.

I also have a R45 with a 1.6 k-series that is coming up to 99k, same story.

I have a fair few customers who also have the k-series in many guises & drive without issue.

I recognise that many have had issues with overheating prematurely, but I suspect there may have been underlying problems there to cause the HGF in the first place on some of them.

The OP has been very unlucky but the thought did cross my mind that if a PRT is fitted & the garage who reconditioned the engine fitted a normal thermostat (back of engine) aswell, this will bound to cause an issue.

An engine is not designed to run with two operational thermostats.

(I realise that people fit an inline thermostat in the Diesel engine but that is usually because the normal thermostat has stuck open leaving the engine to run excessively cold)
I also disagree. The 1.8 Ecotec in my Vectra did 180k with no major problems, just one 02 sensor in 8 years. The turbo diesel in my cavalier did 220.000 miles trouble-free and only started to play up when I gave the car to my daughter!

If only I could get to the point where I could trust this car, in 8 months I have had problems with the bonnet catch, alternator, cracked block (it had been sealed with K Seal by previous owner), gas strut on tailgate, exhaust dropping off and constant coolant problems. Central locking doesn't work on fuel cap either.
Bodger24 is offline   Reply With Quote