View Single Post
Old 12th May 2014, 23:27   #35
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts
Default Part Three Thermostat Fitting

Part Three refitting the new thermostat.

With all the thermostat parts in front you straight piece, housing, and the bend start by fitting the straight piece into the housing.
Straight piece with Fig 106

The bend Fig 107
The housing with the straight piece fitted into it, this you need to do first before you offer and fit the housing and straight piece back into the engine Fig 108

Now you have the housing and straight piece together feed this into the V of the engine you can and should smear the ends of the straight piece and all the O-ring ends hosing with a lubricant Rubber grease is best, make sure you push home the straight pipe and then push the thermostat housing down and in Fig 109

Double check the straight piece is fully pushed home, and the clip is uptight to the water pump end of the engine by looking through the manifold holes into the V with a touch as here Fig 110

And also at the housing end as here Fig 111

Next check the housing it's self is pushed home and seated right, this housing as three lugs which allows the housing to be pushed home as much as it should be, it also give stability to the housing so that it cannot move about. Fig 112

The next step is to fit the bend again making sure the end is lubricated to help it being pushed home with ease, into the clean hole of the engine Fig 113

Look through the holes in the manifold again with a torch and make sure you have lined up the adjoining holes in the housing and the bend then offer the bolt to it carefully through the hole in the manifold using the socket and ratchet you removed it with Fig 114

After fitting the bolt which holds the bend and housing in place double check the straight piece in still in place Fig 115

Now you are satisfied that the thermostat is fitted correct you can start adding the hoses to the housing pipe work do the small middle one first Fig 116/117

Next fit the large one which fits on to the bend Fig 118/119

You can now fit the hose with the bleed screw in it to the main thermostat housing Fig 120

And fit the hose also to the bottom of the radiator Fig 121

With all hose fitted and jubilee clips tightened up make sure the bleed screw is hand tight as you will need to undo this at a later date when bleeding the system. Fig 122

Fit all the wiring and throttle body with breather pipes back into place Fig 123

Making sure you fit the throttle cable Fig 124

If you are working on your own as I was you need to find something to raise the header tank up as far as it will go to refill it slowly, as you can see here I used a short plank of wood Fig 125

I rested the locating pegs on to the rad housing as here Fig 126/127

I filled the header tank slowly at the same time I undid the bleed screw and carried on filling until the water came out of the bleed screw then I screwed in back in making sure the coolant never dropped below the minimum level when filling, thus trying my best to avoid an air lock Fig 128

Once happy i ran the engine with the header tank still raised and kept my eye on the coolant once I saw is rising I added the coolant cap and let the car get up to temperature 91 turned the engine off and let it cool a bit, at this time I again checked in the V to see all was ok and not leaking Fig 129

I then checked the level in the header tank all seemed ok ran the engine again this time up to 101 and waited for the n to kick in and bring the temp down to 95 I did this a few times and turned the engine off, I cleaned up all my tools and put them away, I went and ate my tea by the time I had finished an hour had passed and I again checked into the V for leaks etc it was bone dry Fig 130/131

Also checked at the housing connections Fig 132

The next morning I again checked the coolant in the header tank and it was spot on with the max mark Fig 133

I will be checking again this week for any leaks etc and report back Arctic

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 22nd June 2018 at 08:51.. Reason: Photo Editing
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote