View Single Post
Old 6th July 2016, 17:48   #12
Weso
I really should get out more.......

Mondeo ST TDCI Estate

I was looking at boats with inboard engines but take on board what you said Mark about outboard engines and that does make a lot of sense, not only that but diesel fumes and Ros don't mix well so a petrol outboard may be a win win solution .

Also I was looking at moorings nearest to home but then chugging along at a leisurely pace to get anywhere we want to go does seem a bit silly so I'll take that advice onboard and we will expand our search for moorings further up stream so to speak

We have friends who have their boat moored at Potter Heigham and they have said there is very good boat sales there so we are going to pop along and see them and take a look at what's on offer.

Not sure whether we will buy a boat that way or privately but we shall see.
We might just take you up on that offer of coming along to take a look at some point Mark

Will probably buy 'off season' as you say so we don't end up paying more than we need and it will all depend on when we can get along to see what's available.

Thanks everyone for all their advice so far (keep it coming) and if we see anything we will let you know[/QUOTE]

Would add with the speed limits on almost every part of the broads horse power is not really a requirement. Anything from about 23 foot upwards is likely to have a diesel inboard and they make perfect sense really. Virtually the entire hire fleet is or was powered by the Perkins 4108 lump. They go on forever and when normally governed to about 1600 rpm are fantastically economical. They are however unrefined and noisy etc. Bear in mind hours on end at 1000rpm at approx 5 mph is all you need. Anything inboard petrol avoid, they are likely to be imported from the USA and likely to be in a boat totally unsuitable for 5mph. Petrol is also unsafe for boat use.
Exception to this is a decent 4 stroke petrol outboard, Honda and Yamaha the best. Something like a 7.5HP or 9.9HP up to about 15HP will power almost anything up to 28ft. The modern ones are whisper silent and economical. They are horrendously expensive to buy new but many of the boats in your budget will have one of these as the main power unit. 2 stroke outboards are to be avoided, one thing they hate is constant slow rev cruising for hours on end.

Last edited by Weso; 6th July 2016 at 17:59.. Reason: spelling!
Weso is offline   Reply With Quote