View Single Post
Old 7th July 2016, 17:01   #18
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burwell Mike View Post
There are a couple of Viking boats in my marina which look well built and easy to maintain. Owners are very pleased with them. Viking are also still in business which is a good sign. My preference would be the Viking over the Shetland as the extra couple of feet in length makes all the difference, especially when you are away for a few days, but Shetland have been around for many years and are also well made

The newer Viking 20 looks good, I am not too familiar with outboards (my old boat is still working on a 1964 Ford Zephyr engine!) but 15hp should be OK for pottering around the broads and two cylinders should not be a problem. It is not clear if the engine is two stroke or 4stroke. 4 stroke is smoother and cleaner but heavier and more complicated. Also need to consider if you are happy with manual start over convenience of electric.

One other thing to look at when you view boats is the condition of the cockpit hood. Vinyl hoods can start going brittle after 6+ years due to UV and are expensive to replace, possible negotiating point?

Good luck with your boat hunting

Mike
Hi Mike,

Thanks for all the info Sir.
Might have to take you up on your offer some time for a punt down the river

The Viking 20 looks interesting to me and it's nice to have positive feedback from owners about their craft

The one in that advert shows a picture of the outboard engine so I'm guessing it's a four cylinder so it's getting to sound like an ideal type of craft.

Edit....
Just looked properly , says four stroke not four cylinder

Last edited by coolcat; 7th July 2016 at 17:04..
coolcat is offline   Reply With Quote