View Single Post
Old 24th February 2020, 04:32   #24
beinet1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Auto

Hi all,

I had a phone call with May yesterday to try to get an overview over this situation. I always like to take a systematic approach to these issues and sum up during the process. So, as I have understood, in short terms the story goes like this:

1. Initially the car was working fine with no known issues, but had a high consumption of oil. Approx 0,5 liter pr tank of fuel as I understood. She got noticed by the high oil consumption from the previous owner when she took over the car in November -19.

2. Visited the local garage for a general check over. They generously filled the engine with oil and had no control/verification over the final oil level. The coolant was also topped up, no control/verification over the final level.

3. The engine overheated and misfired the day after.

4. Car brought back to garage. Fault codes read indicating misfire on cyl.2.

5. 1x cylinder head removed from engine for inspection as quoted and requested by the customer, finding a delaminated cam cover gasket and evidence of water in cyl.2.

6. Garage concludes engine not reasonably repairable and "new engine" needed.

7. No conclusions has been made for the cause and time for initial failure.

8. Garage pulled the whole engine/gearbox assembly out of the car for the inspection/dismantling of one cylinder head. This was not needed at all and involved a lot of extra labour, making the way back to a running car a lot longer.

So... Very hard to say if the main issue has started before the first garage visit or caused by the visit, as I can see it.

I have no Idea what it takes to get this engine up running again as I have not seen all in details, but think this could be doable with the right DIY approach as garage labour would be higher than acquire a good running R75. For all we now, this is caused by a IMG/HG issue which is not the end of the world.

I can see that this is a frustrating situation for you, May, as you had a nicely running car before the first garage visit. I think you shall use this for what its worth during the meeting to get things end up in your favour. This meeting will probably be a word-against-word discussion and the outcome will be based on the garages goodwill and "gut-feeling".

I can only wish you good luck for the meeting and hope you report back.

Do any of you others have some good advice regarding this? Please correct me if I am wrong in any of this.

Rgds
Einar.

P.S.
Nice talking to you May, there is a few of us with good taste but very seldom I get into contact with other Norwegian Rover 75 owners. Starts to be very few of us here now.

Last edited by beinet1; 24th February 2020 at 13:05..
beinet1 is offline   Reply With Quote