Old 30th July 2020, 07:34   #286
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
Some spectacular wildlife there Phil.
I'm guessing you weren't wading in the water to take that shot?

Not sure what you could have done differently given the constraints of the equipment to shoot at the distances involved.
There is a reason why big fast super long telephoto prime lens cost the money they do

I wonder if you could use a teleconverter with that lens to get you closer to the action?
I have found cropping post production tends to give better results than using a digital crop in camera.
Maybe worth doing a few test shots using both methods to see which works best for you?

Whatever, you have captured a scene that is very unique and most of us will never get to see in the flesh so to speak
Thanks Jeff

Olympus are launching a 150-400mm Zoom Len’s with a built in teleconverter and image stability in the autumn $6,000-$8000 USD. Out of my league so I will settle on a teleconverter: 1.4 or X2, alternatively buy a superzoom bridge camera. I had a Canon Powershot superzoom which I gave away to Jessica. I bought the superzoom in 2010. The newer ones have made significant improvements in MP, zoom range, image stability and digital processing etc, The new ones are a fraction of what it costs to buy a Big Ma.

Digital crop:

Thanks Jeff for suggesting doing the crop post edit and not in camera. I will certainly give it a try.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote