View Single Post
Old 16th July 2023, 18:05   #7
goltho
Can't help myself

Rover 75 CDTi 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorchester2 View Post
Here is the one I've used:
That's exactly the one I've found which comes near to being the same. However(!):- There are three extra pins on the donor car's 17-pin socket (so a total of 16 compared with the standard 13 pins used in the adapter). I've experimented this afternoon by reconnecting the radio I'm keeping (it's a Harmony from Philips) but with the small 10-pin black connector disconnected which sits in the larger plug. The SWCs continued to work without the 10-pin. That smaller connector is presumably indeed from the overlay harness which isn't connected to my existing car (thanks Simon/SD1too ) so we can forget about it.

So the extra 3 wires in the existing donor car's 17-plug are shown in the 1st and 2nd thumbnails below. The connector in the 3rd pic is the one I've ordered (for £5.99) which is identical to yours. The 4th pic is the standard R75 wiring on the 17-pin connector using only 13 pins, which corresponds to yours and to the one I've ordered. HOWEVER - you'll see in the first 2 pics that there are three extra wires (blue/orange, red/white and blue/?purple) which I've circled in red. My conclusion is that one or more of these are for the SWCs as it seems the Harmony did not use Canbus for SWC (what I found today plus I read it somewhere). I've checked voltage fluctuations on each of those three pins whilst the radio was turned on and there is a 0.1v flutter on two of the three wires when any of the SWCs is pressed (I forgot to note which, like an idiot). I've no idea whether this was significant or not though.

One more anomaly is the pin circled in BLUE. It's a black wire positioned where there exists a blank hole in the standard connector shown in the diagram on the 4th pic, plus the blank position has been moved to the other end of that row. No idea about that.

As far as I can see, I need to identify which pin(s) the SWCs are connected to on the donor car's 17-pin plug, in order to swap the Harmony over to replace the VDO CD413X in the new car which has ISO connectors including the C-type green connector which I believe feeds the SWC wires as per the 5th pic.

This may need reading a couple of times but I hope it makes sense. I don't really care about the SWCs not working on the donor car after the VDO is swapped into it. My aim here is to install the Harmony into the new car using the adapter you've used, but also to re-route what I presume are the SWCs on the green C-type ISO plug to the new 17-pin adapter. And for that to happen, I need to know where the Harmony is expecting those connections to be on the 17-pin plug.

Dougie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8945.jpg (9.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8946.jpg (16.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8944.jpg (19.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5374.jpg (14.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8931.jpg (17.5 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by goltho; 16th July 2023 at 18:15..
goltho is offline   Reply With Quote