View Single Post
Old 19th February 2024, 12:14   #2
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati750cc View Post
Rover 75 05 CDTI 115271 miles.

Oil/water OK, neither ever need topping up between servicing it, no warning lights, EGR blocked off years ago, inlet manifold de-coked at the same time, crankcase breather got a re-furb at the same time.

I had a problem with this when cold about 18 months ago with a noticeable misfire at 1500 - 3000 RPM when in neutral, off load, which reduced to be almost invisible as it got to normal running temp, but the unburnt fuel smell was still apparent, it's doing the same again but may be producing a bit more smoke this time.

Always started instantly, as now, at whatever the temp, sweet as a nut and drove/drives well under power OK.

I did the injector leak test, one was quite noticeable, one other a little high, the other two in spec, so out they came and a set of genuine Bosch injectors fitted, everything then OK and back to normal till now.

I know the chance of a new rogue injector is low but in the next day or two I'll do a leak test, no smell of fuel in the oil.

So a bit of brain picking for when I get the bonnet up for the leak test as to what else could contribute to the smoke, FPR problem ?

Thanks for reading.
If it still smokes and stinks of diesel it could be a bad injector still.

Might be worth running a compression test too, a bad injector can cause damage internally to the engine if over fuelling a lot, I've seen pistons melted due to injectors failing and injecting too much fuel.

It isn't common for head gasket failure, but that could also be a cause if compression is low.
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote