View Single Post
Old 26th December 2009, 01:12   #5
-Joe
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Classic SE 1.8T

Default engine heater remote

Well had it working for ages now and I think it's the ultimate bond gadget for 75's. The remote has such power it's easy to plip the button from inside the house to start up the heater.

1 click initiates the start-up sequence. Click again and it starts the winding-down sequence. I've had no problems with the heater ecu getting
confused by the manual control. Even when you start the engine and the automatic system kicks in it causes no problems. I have added an LED warning lamp to the dash board to show when the timer is running.

You can use the remote to fire up the heater in the summer just to check if it's working.

It's fun to do this when somebody is leaning against the car. There firstly is a click, then a whir, then a motor revving up sound, mad ticking at the back of the car then... lift off! The burner lights and roars like a jet engine. Sometimes loads of smoke comes out too. Sometimes not! A smell like airport runways fills the air. "Excuse me sir, I think your cars on fire.", people say. I can answer "Don't worry I can extinguish that fire with a press of this button!

I go for a "pre burn" even on mild days when the heater usually would not come on by itself on auto mode. I think the engine likes warm starts. It's nice for quicker cabin warm up too.

It's also good for melting snow when parked. Before i fitted the timer cut out I once left it on by accident for 2-3 hours. It de-frosted the whole street!
-Joe is offline   Reply With Quote