View Single Post
Old 23rd October 2010, 11:39   #10
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

My thoughts on this are based on my own troubles with reception. What I found was that if you are tuned in to a pretty strong signal then you won't notice much change in the signal with the amp connected or not connected. To check it you really need to tune in first to a weaker signal. With a weak signal you will notice a difference when you turn the amp on or off.

An electrical screwdriver with a light is usually for detecting mains voltages so I wouldnt expect it to light up from 12v unless its an automotive one.

As mentioned by someone else to test the supply with a bulb you need to connect between the supply lead and chassis, and not to the amp terminal, because the amp will present a high resistance so the bulb wont light.

My own reception was poor with the standard amp, but the amp was working, just poor. To resolve is I bought an in line booster called something like Celcus AAN2002 ??? Something like, cant remember now.

Before going down that route I also experimented with a halfords screen aerial which gave some small improvement over the standard aerial and amp. They are about £12. It can also be fitted down the side of the rear screen and covered up by the cladding so you cant see it.

That is a reasonable alternative.

One idea to help you may be to use the standard amp direct in to the aerial socket for the radio, and then use a Halfords separate aerial for the TMC socket. Should give you a much stronger signal to both than by using a splitter. If you wanted to go even further you could then also add a booster to the one for the radio.

Putting amps in series is never good practise, because the second one will only amplify the noise along with the signal. Better to deal with the poor reception at source, either the poor amp or the poor reception antenna.

The TMC in my experience is a bit hit and miss anyway as it is only broadcast over a few stations, so if you have porr reception on that station you can be driving for miles before you pick anything up. I think it is also broadcast on Rock FM and Heart FM.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote