View Single Post
Old 4th September 2011, 06:35   #8
tezzer
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakg View Post
Yes and no...

I bought the tweeters from Focal's "Access" (entry level) component set. I deliberately didn't spend much, as I didn't even know if they'd fit (after my failure with the Vifa ones).

While most people malign the OE speakers for being made out of paper - for tweeter it's not such a bad thing. My Focal tweeters have a metal dome - which makes them cheap to make - but it does make them sound quite harsh.

Overall I find they are a little clearer than my HK tweeters, especially when turned up loud - however they do sound harsher as well. They aren't necessarily "better", just different.

My favorite artist is Papa Roach which tends itself to being turned up loud - however at higher volumes a lot of the instruments seemed to blend together into "noise" rather than music. While the Focal's are much clearer, they are harsher as well... but for the music I've been testing them with to me it sounds better. But like I said - at lower volumes some might prefer the HK's.

As mine were new (embarrassing confession - first new speakers I've ever bought...) they really should be "broken" in and may well sound a bit better after ~10 hours, but I doubt it.

Overall - for me it's better. But now I'm after some silk-dome tweeters.
Thanks for the update, anything would be better than mine at the mo
cheers
tezzer is offline   Reply With Quote