View Single Post
Old 27th February 2015, 10:16   #35
egremont
Loves to post

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE. Auto. Saloon. SE

Default Our dream is to refurbish broken Traction Control Actuators

Maybe it would be prudent for me not to mention anything about this until this project is completed. But why not let you know what I have been up to during the past few weeks. It is about refurbishing Traction Control Units. Eighteen drawings and measurements with comments have been prepared and forwarded for this project.

From what I have seen (when visiting a Computer group’s workshop), the lower priced 3D printers use plastic as their medium. These should be all right for making unstressed items such as electrical connectors.

The 75’s Traction Control (when fitted) breaks down over time and need to be replaced. Its cogs are subject to a lot of stress as the gears are brought to a halt by the internal stop bar. The internal cogs in the Traction Control Actuator are plastic and over time, two teeth, in particular are prone to break off, thus relegating the unit to the rubbish bin.

Actuators are not cheap, and a rebuild should be the cheaper option – I hope.

Obviously, we couldn’t justify the outlay to purchase an upmarket 3D printer – one capable of making metal parts.. So a quote is being sought (via an ex-staffer) from the university’s commercial section to print the gears in titanium.

Titanium is not cheap, but as our gears are relatively small, I am hoping that their quote will be within our budget.

Regards,
Egremont.
egremont is offline   Reply With Quote