View Single Post
Old 1st February 2017, 18:00   #33
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Ok guys, so yesterday I got my worn out walnut wheelie from ebay and today arrived my colour or pigment or dye from the guy that was specified in this thread from ebay (if anyone needs his ebay or details just pm me and I will provide them to you, he is a great person to talk to and he is dedicated to what he is doing and knows what he is selling, so I recommend him to anybody), and the colour matched my sandstone beige 100%. So, first I cleaned the wheel very good with a microfibre cloth and a cheap leather cleaner purchased from a local store which I also used to clean my seats and they look now like new, then also with another microfibre cloth I wiped the leather with white spirit, wiped it with a dry cloth, dried it with a hair dryer and then left it to dry on itself for 1 more hour, and then, with the small sponge provided by the guy on ebay that I bought the dye from, I started applying the first coat, moving the sponge on top of the leather in kinda small circular moves, but then I realised that this way it was leaving ugly stripes of colour and tried "tapping" the sponge on the surface without moving it across the leather, which makes it look 100% uniform and perfectly smooth. Applied the first coat, waited 2 hours while leaving it in a warm place, and applied the second coat the same way. It looks just like new, I guess almost nobody would tell that it is an used one only if I'd tell him first, will post pictures tomorrow when it is dried and ready to be fitted. I want to thank all of you for your advices and help provided, saved me 150 quid for the wheel because I didn't have to buy a new one, and another 100 quid when I painted the rear bumper on my own, that also being a 100% success because of this forum
Rsnail is offline   Reply With Quote